Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/28/2015 3:29:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon]
Link to the first (full version) thread here.

OK guys, here goes.

First I'm not smart, so if I can do it you can. Go to the BATFE website Click on Eforms and create an account. No pictures here because if you can get an account on ARFcom you know what to do. After that login to the Eform subsection.
You will see a page that looks like this.

Scroll or mouse wheel or however your computers works until you get to the Form 1. On my Mac it's a click and drag.

Click on the SOB. You will be greeted with this. Click Next.

This is the next screen you'll see. Time to start filling out stuff.

Click the "NO FFL" box. Under Licenesee enter your trust name. Trade Name leave blank. Fill in the street address on your trust. When you get to the Zip Code, enter it, the click  away and the County and State fields will self populate, select your City, enter your Phone and Email and hit Next. Now we are at the Line Item screen. Click add Firearm.

You'll get a popup that looks like this.

For a Form1 suppressor,or an 80% lower type "Form 1" or "FMI" into the Manufactures name box. For a SBR just type in the Manufacturers name. When selecting model and caliber here use what's stamped on the lower for model. If your lower is marked Multi DONT SELECT MULTI AS CALIBER. The ATF wants and actual value here so pic whatever cal of upper your going to put on it first. Once the stamp comes back your lower is a SBR and the caliber at this point no longer matters. Finish by clicking Verify Manufacturer. If building a SBR from an 80% lower on a supressor you get to make up your own model number and serial number. Remember though these will need to be engraved along with your full Trust name, City, and State. The only abbreviations that should be used in your emgraving should be CAL for caliber, MOD for model, and the standard two letter abbreviation for your state.

In the fist drop down select Short Barreled Rifle or Silencer, whichever you are filling the form out for. If you select SBR a new field will come up. Just select your manufacturer. You can see i filled this out for a 10/22 so i selected Sturm Ruger.  Now add in all the other info you need. Model is easy. Caliber for my was 22 and as unit of measurement i used INCHES. Length of Barrel, OAL and Serial number? You know what to do In the description box type in Short Barreled Rifle, or Silencer if that's what you are building. In the Next box I always put "For All Legal Reasons". Click Next.
That popup should close and you will see this.

Time to upload your PDF trust. Try and make it a small file size. The BATF wants it a certain file size which i forget at the moment but mine is 2.6mb and I've never had a problem with it. In the Document type field selce trust. In the Description Type in  "My Trust Name Trust" and click Add. Now you get to this screen.

Here you are going to click Certify and the the Pay button. A new popup will come up. enter your info and click next. Then another box will come up. enter your info and Click the box to agree to payment. Then it takes you back to the last screen after you close this popup.

Now you click Sign and Submit. Enter the password for your Login and hit enter.
Time to play the waiting game.

This is just a quick and dirty guide to get you through a form1. It's really easy and as long as you click Save in the upper left corner very once in a while things should work out. If the website hangs or you get an error you can try clicking Save again, closing the popup with the error and trying again, or logging out and back in to continue. If I've missed anything major let me know. But really, its that easy, just keep in mind this is a .gov website so its going to be a little slow processing things.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:09:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: soldierman79] [#1]
Nice! Thanks for keeping us informed and in the 2A fight!
Let's see if we can get this awesome bit of info pinned!
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Sticky this one ...
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for taking the time to put this together.  Did you notice that there's already a sticky thread on the same subject, though, in this very forum?  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/415446_Visual_guide__How_to_fill_out_a_Form_1_using_EFORMS.html
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By danb35:
Thanks for taking the time to put this together.  Did you notice that there's already a sticky thread on the same subject, though, in this very forum?  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/415446_Visual_guide__How_to_fill_out_a_Form_1_using_EFORMS.html
View Quote

The Op of that thread deleted all the info in that thread. It is no longer useful.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:54:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlabamaPaul] [#8]
For a Form 1 suppressor you use "FMI" as the manufacturer...

ETA:  You would use the same code for an 80% receiver used to make a SBR...
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#9]
stupid question...
Do you actually send the ATF a personal check for $200 before e-filing form 1?  Do you just write in your trust name in the memo so they know its for your trust and for this particular e-form?
You can't pay on the ATF site, correct?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:13:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: soldierman79] [#10]
Originally Posted By Useafortyfive:
stupid question...
Do you actually send the ATF a personal check for $200 before e-filing form 1?  Do you just write in your trust name in the memo so they know its for your trust and for this particular e-form?
You can't pay on the ATF site, correct?
View Quote

When you e-file, you'll pay with credit card/debit card upon checkout. You'll also scan and attach your trust to your online 'application'.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By soldierman79:

The Op of that thread deleted all the info in that thread. It is no longer useful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By danb35:

True enough; I hadn't seen that.  Carry on, then, nothing to see here...
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a warning for all: I could get it to work in Firefox, up to the point of payment. Their payment software requires IE.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Good video guide.

Here
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Dog1:

I filed a Form 1 on Wednesday using Chrome, because I could not get it to work with IE 11.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dog1:
Originally Posted By OilyPablo:
Just a warning for all: I could get it to work in Firefox, up to the point of payment. Their payment software requires IE.

I filed a Form 1 on Wednesday using Chrome, because I could not get it to work with IE 11.

2 completed on Chrome here as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

I couldn't get payment to work on either.  

I have to make the forms using my desktop loaded with Firefox, then pay using my kid's Ipad.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome info!   Thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:18:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: soldierman79] [#19]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:08:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mizzarley] [#20]
I filed three form1's today using a MAC and Firefox, each time the website stalled at a different stage in the process. Make sure you click the Save button in the top left corner often. Sometimes the act of clicking Save will unfreeze or unstall the site. If you are able to get in keep trying on whatever stage you are on.

Also going to add the line about "FMI" to the OP, thanks AlabamaPaul.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#21]
OP, appreciate you making a guide, but I hope you can put some more time making it more indebt for newbie's since its the new sticky.

To bad someone had to throw a tantrum... His guide was excellent.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By M4Tank:
OP, appreciate you making a guide, but I hope you can put some more time making it more indebt for newbie's since its the new sticky.

To bad someone had to throw a tantrum... His guide was excellent.
View Quote

Will do. I had a heck of a time getting those screenshots the other day due to site crashes. I'll keep adding and tweaking as I have time to do so. Also if I miss anything big or you guys have suggestions let me know and I'll edit the op.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for this!  Just completed my first electronic submission for a new sbr.  Site is extremely clunky.  Good tutorial nonetheless.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:16:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Avned:
Thanks for this!  Just completed my first electronic submission for a new sbr.  Site is extremely clunky.  Good tutorial nonetheless.
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been going over both threads I was just approved for building a SBR do I just print it now ?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Easy_E:
I've been going over both threads I was just approved for building a SBR do I just print it now ?
View Quote

Yep. Print and done.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Yep. Print and done.
View All Quotes

Yep. Print and done.

Thanks !
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Cool! How long did it take?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Submitted 01/18/2015
Approved today 03/05/2015
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Oh man I have at least a month left. I can do it!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Print a copy and put it in your safe and if you have email on your phone download the attachment so you have it with you when you're out at the range. That's what I do. Congrats.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:19:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By mizzarley:

Print a copy and put it in your safe and if you have email on your phone download the attachment so you have it with you when you're out at the range. That's what I do. Congrats.
View All Quotes

That's a great idea saving it to our phones . One more quick question does the copy need to be colored ?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:25:36 AM EDT
[#33]

That's a great idea saving it to our phones . One more quick question does the copy need to be colored ?
View All Quotes

That I don't know. If asked by a LEO of some sort Id show them the digital copy. If that isn't good enough the lawyers get involved anyway so I'm not sure a color copy would be needed.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:59:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#34]
View Quote

If you use an iPhone, the iBooks app is a great way to keep them. Also convenient to keep your trust.

The copy doesn't need to be in color. Although you'd be printing new ones each time, it's technically illegal to make a color copy of a revenue stamp (so a color copy of a paper F1/F4 is a no-no, but I'm not sure if that's ever enforced).

I have color copies scanned in iBooks, the "original" color copy at home, and B&W versions I carry in a binder.

You can arrange iBooks to show the name of the file:

Or set it up to view a thumbnail:

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:59:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Tank] [#35]

View All Quotes

I have about 10 copies, 5 color and 5 black and white. I have a digital copy on the email from the atf, iBooks, etc on my phone.

I would keep a printed out copy with you just to be safe. I don't think it really matters if it's color/B&W. There was some talk about copies of stamps needing to be B&W, but the one you get from the ATF is in color and you can see the letters over the stamp so in this case I believe it's differant. I might give the ATF a call if it matters.

I keep a color copy with the gun at all times.

Notice how the letters cover the digital approved stamp?

This is why I believe it does not matter legally if you have a color copy.

Edit: just emailed "ask the experts"... I'll post their response.

Edit response from ATF:

[email protected] ([email protected])  Add to contacts  9:17 AM   Keep this message at the top of your inbox  
To: xxxxxxxxxxxx
[email protected]

Color to capture the color of the stamp would be recommended

Sent: Friday, March 06, 2015 10:04 AM
To: eForms NFA Info
Subject: Ask the Expert Question from XXXXXXXXX

You have you received a new question from eForms user XXXXXXXX:

Hello. I have my eform form 1 approval and I am going to print out a copy. Would there be a problem printing out a color copy of the form or should it be in black and white? Thanks.

So color is good to go.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:15:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: YukonBoy03] [#36]

I have about 10 copies, 5 color and 5 black and white. I have a digital copy on the email from the atf, iBooks, etc on my phone.

I would keep a printed out copy with you just to be safe. I don't think it really matters if it's color/B&W. There was some talk about copies of stamps needing to be B&W, but the one you get from the ATF is in color and you can see the letters over the stamp so in this case I believe it's differant. I might give the ATF a call if it matters.

http://i.imgur.com/N72d3o7.jpg?1

View All Quotes

http://i.imgur.com/N72d3o7.jpg?1

ETA: with just the electronic stamp - since that's the case (no real stamp), the argument against laminating them seems invalid - since there isn't an actual stamp to physically verify.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#37]
For those who already have a PDF of their trust/assignment sheet and it's too big, I found this to be an easy method.
If you only have Adobe Reader (95% of you), this is an easy way to change the size when you can't just re-scan the doc under lower quality.

1. open PDF
2. right click on page > copy picture
3. paste into MS Paint
4. crop to only picture of document page
5. File > Save As > .jpeg
6. right click on picture now > select all > copy
7. paste into MS Word
8. repeat steps for additional pages

The original document was scanned with a higher res, where two pages would max out the 3MB limit. After doing this, I could fit the images of 7 scanned pages in the new Word document.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:45:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: onealphay2k] [#38]
Thanks to OP and all of the other posters.  I just submitted my first Form 1 today and you all made it very easy for me.

Update 3/10/2015: Just submitted my second Form 1 today.  I am not sure but this could start becoming expensive.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I can only get my trust down to 3.6 uhggg!!!

Help!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By akethan:

Help!
View Quote
Are you scanning at 300x300?

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By AlabamaPaul:
View All Quotes

Help!

Got it down to 2.26

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Got it down to 2.26

Thanks!
View All Quotes

Help!

Got it down to 2.26

Thanks!
Excellent...

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't have an address on my trust to fill out the address section of the efile..do I just put my current address where the item will reside?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By rtran:
I don't have an address on my trust to fill out the address section of the efile..do I just put my current address where the item will reside?
View Quote

Hmm. I'm not sure but you can give it a shot with your home address. Please report back with your results.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#45]

Hmm. I'm not sure but you can give it a shot with your home address. Please report back with your results.
View All Quotes

I'll ask BigWaylon first. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:21:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#46]

View All Quotes

The address is not directly tied to the trust. It's the mailing address and location where the firearm will initially be registered.

As a side note, I've seen issues of people trying to use a PO Box, since that's not where it would be stored.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Thank you bigwaylon
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#48]
I have my trust notarized on paper, but in scanned form it would be in a different format (ie. jpg, gnf, etc.).  Does ATF accept e-trust files only in .pdf format?
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:
I have my trust notarized on paper, but in scanned form it would be in a different format (ie. jpg, gnf, etc.).  Does ATF accept e-trust files only in .pdf format?
View Quote

What are you using to scan it? Most scanners will give you a PDF output.

However, EForms will take .xls/.xlsx/.xlsm, .doc/.docs/.docm, .pdf, .jpg/.jpeg, .ppt/.ppts/.pptx/.pptm, and .gif.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

However, EForms will take .xls/.xlsx/.xlsm, .doc/.docs/.docm, .pdf, .jpg/.jpeg, .ppt/.ppts/.pptx/.pptm, and .gif.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

Ah, okay.  My mistake.  The .pdf format was the only one mentioned in the instruction, so I thought that was the only acceptable doc type.

OTOH, can I edit the .pdf file & manually transfer/enter the name, date fields, etc. info (in particular, the notary's hand-written signature & commission expiration stamp), or are the signature fields required to display actual hand-written signatures?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top