Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2015 4:44:19 AM EDT
Shame the dumb question but why would the vast majority of people use "last name trust" when they set up a trust? I understand for the easy recognizablility if stopped by a LEO. But isn't a reason for a trust so the government doesn't know exactly who owns the item or am I using too much tin foil for my hat?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:52:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Shame the dumb question but why would the vast majority of people use "last name trust" when they set up a trust? I understand for the easy recognizablility if stopped by a LEO. But isn't a reason for a trust so the government doesn't know exactly who owns the item or am I using too much tin foil for my hat?
View Quote

No...

Your name is on the trust, they know who has what.

The reason for a trust is to avoid the CLEO requirement and so that multiple people can possess the items in the trust.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:19:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes... too much tin foil hat.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No...

The reason for a trust is to avoid the CLEO requirement and so that multiple people can possess the items in the trust.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No...

Well they dont really know who "owns" what on the trust, correct? They will know what is listed on it and who the people are that can legally have it in their possession.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well they dont really know who "owns" what on the trust, correct? They will know what is listed on it and who the people are that can legally have it in their possession.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No...

Right, so what difference does it make if the last name is part of the trust name, or your full name is posted as a trustee?

How about the people who blur out their trust name like it's a social security number lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Right, so what difference does it make if the last name is part of the trust name, or your full name is posted as a trustee?

How about the people who blur out their trust name like it's a social security number lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No...

Well they are just taking precautionary steps, lol.

Thanks for the responses though guys. Kind of struck me as odd for that many to do it and semi not want big brother to know.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No...

No "one person" named in a trust "owns" the property assigned to the trust... all trustees have equal rights to property in the trust as I understand it... perhaps someone can correct me. Like already pointed out... there is a lot more information listed in the trust other than "SMITH" vs. an item with "SMITH TRUST" engraved on it.  

My trust is simply my last name followed by the word TRUST...  "C**** TRUST" it's short. sweet, and looks good on the item when engraved.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No "one person" named in a trust "owns" the property assigned to the trust... all trustees have equal rights to property in the trust as I understand it... perhaps someone can correct me. Like already pointed out... there is a lot more information listed in the trust other than "SMITH" vs. an item with "SMITH TRUST" engraved on it.  

My trust is simply my last name followed by the word TRUST...  "C**** TRUST" it's short. sweet, and looks good on the item when engraved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No...

You are correct. All trustees have the same ability in regards to trust property, such as selling property, buying new, etc. The grantor, who is also a trustee, has the unique ability to change or terminate the trust.

The trust owns itself. It is a legal entity with the ability to own property. When you buy a suppressor on a trust, you don't own that suppressor, the trust does. This is why you need to keep a copy of the trust with the Form 4 when you're in possession of the item.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Great replies from all of you. Just trying to get all my P's and Q's lined out before I get my trust set up.

Hypotheical question, say you have a sister who marries and changes her last name but you list her on the trust. If she came in contact with a LEO and her last name didnt match this would be the same as the trust being named "In God We Trust". Would you just need your paper work on you showing you are apart of the trust?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Great replies from all of you. Just trying to get all my P's and Q's lined out before I get my trust set up.

Hypotheical question, say you have a sister who marries and changes her last name but you list her on the trust. If she came in contact with a LEO and her last name didnt match this would be the same as the trust being named "In God We Trust". Would you just need your paper work on you showing you are apart of the trust?
View Quote

amend the trust to update her name after she has legally had it changed
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got that part but her last name would then be different than the trust. So theoretically speaking for her it wouldn't be any different than a trust that wasn't "Last name Trust". Would still have to carry the paper work with whatever you had with you at the time. Right?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Name it whatever you want. Its just become standard
There's people who get creative like, IN GOD WE TRUST or NFA TRUST
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

For 99% of the folks that use a trust, it is to avoid CLEO issues and allow multiple possessors.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Name it whatever you want. Its just become standard
There's people who get creative like, IN GOD WE TRUST or NFA TRUST
View Quote

Exactly, mine is In Doc We Trust.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a trust to avoid the CLEO sign off and to be able to use online storms, not a avoid the gov or hide that I own guns. Also my dad and brother are on be trust so it makes sense that I use the last name that we all have. Like others said when you create a trut you use your name on on documents, it's no secret who name is on the trust.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:16:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Just trying to judge how much of a pain it will be if the trust is "In God We Trust" for example verus "Last Name Trust".
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just trying to judge how much of a pain it will be if the trust is "In God We Trust" for example verus "Last Name Trust".
View Quote

Your name goes in the signature block of whatever form you file. So if you keep a copy with the item, your ID matches the name on the form.

That's why I went the route I did. It looks cooler, sounds cooler, and frankly I like to buck the system a little whenever I can.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:06:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Your name goes in the signature block of whatever form you file. So if you keep a copy with the item, your ID matches the name on the form.

That's why I went the route I did. It looks cooler, sounds cooler, and frankly I like to buck the system a little whenever I can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See I'm in the boat I'd like to make it something different than Last name trust just wasn't sure if it would be worth or too much of a hassle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top