Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2014 11:54:47 AM EDT
I am wondering if there is a legal way to have a post dealer sample M16 (select fire) converted to ar15 status.

I was envisioning having the sear holes welded and apply to have it removed from NFA registry as machine gun; or change it to SBR in the registry?
or is this not possible?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Once a machine gun, always a machine gun. You can save the upper and lower parts, but you need to cut up the lower.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Once a machine gun, always a machine gun. You can save the upper and lower parts, but you need to cut up the lower.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
^^^^ This. The short answer is no.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am wondering if there is a legal way to have a post dealer sample M16 (select fire) converted to ar15 status.

I was envisioning having the sear holes welded and apply to have it removed from NFA registry as machine gun; or change it to SBR in the registry?
or is this not possible?
Thanks
View Quote

why not just buy an ar15 lower? sounds like a lot of hassle for something when there is a much more simple process
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

why not just buy an ar15 lower? sounds like a lot of hassle for something when there is a much more simple process
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or is this not possible?
Thanks

I'd envision he wanted the roll marks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Roll marks.....Yes. I like the 416
That answers my questions

I saw a HK416 lower for cheap.

Seemed like a good idea to at least ask
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Another option would be to make one from an 80%. I seem to remember a company offering incomplete lowers with the 416D forging shape. There were also some genuine HK 416D semi-auto lowers, but they are rare and expensive. A buddy of mine just had his POF lower laser engraved and called it a day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I doubt you can do that. if you are creating a clone type rifle and want certain roll marks or features just get a 80% lower and finish it off how you like or contact a manufacturer that does custom projects. I frequent the mk18 picture thread and there are some rifles in there that look dead on accurate, with pin holes, proper engraving, correct color, bar codes etc...its def possible and no need to deal with the hassle of getting a m16 removed from the registry.

better yet, save your time and energy and buy a real transferable m16!

A off brand Non-colt RR full auto M16 thats been beat, abused and looks terrible will always receive more respect than any perfect looking Semi-Auto clone.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
If your an sot dealer you can keep this gun even after dropping your license. Why would you want to change it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

or is this not possible?
Thanks
View Quote

Yes, by torch cutting the receiver and welding it back together again.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If your an sot dealer you can keep this gun even after dropping your license. Why would you want to change it.
View Quote

SOTs cannot keep post-86 samples after their license expires or is revoked.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:08:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your right I was talking about pre 86 dealer samples
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top