Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2014 9:38:57 AM EDT
Well, my local gun store guy stated that you can fill out this section with say 7.5" and still be OK using a 10.5", 14.5", etc (as long as it's greater than or equal to 7.5"). I couldn't find anything on the ATF sight about this. Anyone ever heard such a thing? Is this guy talking out of his ass?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have an SBR'ed AR-15 lower receiver, then you can put whatever barrel length upper you want on it. You can also change calibers if you like. My original AR-15 SBR was a 11.5" barrel in 5.56mm, however I have a 5" barreled 9mm upper and a 8" barreled 300BLK upper for it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#2]
He is incorrect.  You can use any barrel length you want, whether it's longer or shorter than 7.5 inches--the configuration you specify on a Form 1 is only the configuration in which you intend to originally build the gun, and in the case of a Form 4 it's how the gun is configured at the time of the transfer.  In neither case is the specified length a minimum.  ATF requests, but has no legal or regulatory basis to require, that you notify them of any "permanent" change in configuration of the NFA items.  In the case of an AR, it's up to you whether you consider that any change of configuration is permanent.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#3]
He would be wrong.  On a form 4 you must use the length of the gun as it exist.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

So, if I put 7.5" on the form, there is no way I can legally put a 10.5 or 14.5 on it?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So, if I put 7.5" on the form, there is no way I can legally put a 10.5 or 14.5 on it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. You need to put the specs of how you will initially make the firearm
2. After that, you can run any upper (regardless of caliber or barrel length)...there is no "you can only run longer" rule as you mentioned the dealer stated, which is why he is "wrong"

ETA: sorry...missed the "Form 4" in the title. The rules still apply even though you're not making the firearm. #1 would be the specs if how the firearm is currently configured.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#6]
MEGR, are you buying (or considering buying) an already-existing SBR, or are you making one yourself?  If you're buying one already built, there's no question about what to put on the form--you (or, more likely, your dealer) fill it out describing how the rifle is already configured.  End of story.

If you're making one, you fill out a form 1, not a form 4, and your dealer isn't involved.  You fill out the form 1 with the configuration you're going to initially build (caliber, barrel length, OAL).

In either case, you can later change the upper to any caliber, any length (longer or shorter than specified on the form).

If you're undecided about whether to build or buy, electronic Form 1s are coming back approved in under a month, while Form 4 must be filed on paper and seem to be taking at least a few months.  OTOH, to do eForms, you have the cost of setting up a trust (if you haven't already) and engraving your lower.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. You guys rock. ARFCOM always comes through with the good advice!
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Form 4 = supressor, correct?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:02:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:06:44 AM EDT
[#10]
True.   I haven't ever bought an SBR.  Only made my own.  Only form 4s I've done were for suppressors.  My bad
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top