Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2014 8:40:49 AM EDT
We are all hearing about the faster turn arounds on eForms applications.  Any word if paper applications are moving faster too?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Most recent paper F4s to a trust came in yesterday for me at 9 months and 3 days.  Mailed 11/6/13, approved, 8/9/14, receive 8/13/14.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a what is comparatively a very quick approval recently. Paper form4 individual, pending 3/24 to approved 8/02. Total time from mailed to stamp arriving at the dealer was just a little over 6 months.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Paper Form 1 pending 5/16/2014 still pending...
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Paper individual forms are taking about 6 months here.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes form 1 and 4s for my trust
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's my personal data. Form 4, paper, trust:

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#7]
My last paper Form 4 for a suppressor registered to an individual was approved in 6 months (received in July 2014).

It looks like things are speeding up a little bit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Over the last 2 weeks I got back three paper Form 4's - all were right at 6 months from when I mailed them in. So times appear to be gettng better. What's interesting is that they were approved by 3 different people. Hand signed (not able to read signature - none were Dodash's stamped signature.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag.

Form 4 sent 8/11/14.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a couple that are right at 3 months pending now, I feel pretty confident that I will get them back before this year is over.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Over the last 2 weeks I got back three paper Form 4's - all were right at 6 months from when I mailed them in. So times appear to be gettng better. What's interesting is that they were approved by 3 different people. Hand signed (not able to read signature - none were Dodash's stamped signature.
View Quote

That's great news! End of this month is six months for my Specwar 556!
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I haven't received it yet, but I had a paper form 1 approved on 8/7 at 8 months and 20 days. I have two items in jail right now so I really hope things are speeding up. I'm not willing to efile due to the fake-looking e-stamp and I'm tired of watching the eform guys get approved in 4 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but there's no reason not to eFile. Fake looking or not, the stamps are real.

Just like how we buy things online instead of through mail order from the Sears catalog, times change.

If you are concerned about an uniformed LEO taking issue with your digital stamp, send the ATF a letter asking for clarification and carry the written response with you.

Efile is the future. Don't waste time growing tired watching guys get approved in four weeks. We're on the same team.

Be safe

Quoted:
I haven't received it yet, but I had a paper form 1 approved on 8/7 at 8 months and 20 days. I have two items in jail right now so I really hope things are speeding up. I'm not willing to efile due to the fake-looking e-stamp and I'm tired of watching the eform guys get approved in 4 weeks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fake stamp? Haha some has their tinfoil hat on too tight.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had a what is comparatively a very quick approval recently. Paper form4 individual, pending 3/24 to approved 8/02. Total time from mailed to stamp arriving at the dealer was just a little over 6 months.
View Quote

That's good to hear, mine went pending about a week before that so hopefully I should see something soon!
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Form 4 sent 8/11
Check cashed 8/15
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:43:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Mine have been about 9 months. I still have 4 papers that i am waiting on. I bought a Sten MG in April and it did go pending within a week of receipt which is a lot faster than it has been.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:57:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say fake stamp. I said fake-looking. I understand that the transparent e-stamp is real and legal. But I also know that if I was a local cop, without NFA experience, and someone showed me an "official form" with what looks like a poorly-photoshopped approval stamp, that person would be going in the back of my squad car. I travel with NFA items and already have a binder full of forms with "real-looking" stamps, I don't want one or more of them looking clearly different and fake to the uninitiated. To me that is worth the extra wait. I'm just annoyed that ATF seems to be reneging on its promise to speed up paper forms and slow down eforms. IMO you should go to the back of the queue regardless of how you file. No excuse for letting my form sit on someone's desk for 6 months while they process transfers that were submitted last week.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:09:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I've still got stuff pending from December.    

LGS said he got some from Feb in a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I didn't say fake stamp. I said fake-looking. I understand that the transparent e-stamp is real and legal. But I also know that if I was a local cop, without NFA experience, and someone showed me an "official form" with what looks like a poorly-photoshopped approval stamp, that person would be going in the back of my squad car. I travel with NFA items and already have a binder full of forms with "real-looking" stamps, I don't want one or more of them looking clearly different and fake to the uninitiated. To me that is worth the extra wait. I'm just annoyed that ATF seems to be reneging on its promise to speed up paper forms and slow down eforms. IMO you should go to the back of the queue regardless of how you file. No excuse for letting my form sit on someone's desk for 6 months while they process transfers that were submitted last week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you were a local cop without any NFA experience... like you said.

You would not know what you were even looking at.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#21]
You don't have to have experience to spot something that looks fake.  I've never seen an Idaho driver's license but if you handed me one with a see-through photo and amateur wording (like how the e-form forces you to use awkward phrasing) I'd be pretty damn sure it was a forgery.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Nothing wrong with an eform stamp.

Sigh. First time I had to click someone for pure derp outside of GD.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I find it really frustrating that I paper filed a form 1 in may and people who efile after me are getting there stamps.. seems ass backwards to me.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with an eform stamp.

Sigh. First time I had to click someone for pure derp outside of GD.
View Quote

Wow. First time outside GD I've seen someone so utterly incapable of disagreement without ad hominem.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#25]
The whole idea that there is some issue with the electronically printed NFA tax stamps is bizarre. People print millions of electronic postage stamps on postage meters and laser printers every day and nobody seems to get wadded up about that fact.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes, and those are not see-through and amateurish. Everyone seems to think I am hung up on it being electronic, or printed. I'm not. It's that what they send you to print looks like a ten-year-old photoshopped it and that it was filled out by someone with a poor command of English. If the e-form stamp wasn't see-through I would be more onboard. And if the e-form let you write your own stuff in every box, instead of forcing you to put something like "BUSHMASTER, USA", which is neither the manufacturer's actual name nor their address,  instead of "Bushmaster Firearms International, Ilion NY", I would be completely onboard. Again, I have no problem with PDF stamps or electronic filing. I just want my forms to look like the professional legal documents they are supposed to be. Not sure why that is "derp."
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes, and those are not see-through and amateurish. Everyone seems to think I am hung up on it being electronic, or printed. I'm not. It's that what they send you to print looks like a ten-year-old photoshopped it and that it was filled out by someone with a poor command of English. If the e-form stamp wasn't see-through I would be more onboard. And if the e-form let you write your own stuff in every box, instead of forcing you to put something like "BUSHMASTER, USA", which is neither the manufacturer's actual name nor their address,  instead of "Bushmaster Firearms International, Ilion NY", I would be completely onboard. Again, I have no problem with PDF stamps or electronic filing. I just want my forms to look like the professional legal documents they are supposed to be. Not sure why that is "derp."
View Quote

Try eFile for your next form 1. If you don't, I don't see how you can complain about others being approved faster than you. Paper filing is inefficient for us and the ATF.

If you are carrying around a binder of all your original stamps, I'd say there is a higher likelihood of those being lost/damaged/stolen as opposed to a LEO questioning your paperwork. And then you'd be stuck with copies with no stamp as replacements.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#28]
They are not originals, they are 600dpi scans reprinted at half-size and with an Authorized Copy watermark.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Well if you insist on submitting via paper, that is certainly your choice and I won't bash you for it even though I disagree with it.  However, we are all aware of the current differences in approval times between paper and efile, so there's no reason to complain about it, you know the deal going into it.  I don't know that they will ever be approved at the same speed, filing with an eform takes a big portion of the process off of their hands since they no longer have to enter that info manually.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I just had a paper form 1 come back in under 50 days. Got it in the mail on Friday!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#31]
It's almost like having an escalator install. It does the same thing as the stairs but it's electronic and faster. Yet you still decide to take the stairs as some moral high ground and bitch about everyone else getting to the top before you because they went ahead and jumped on board with the new technology.

Cops don't care about the NFA. Heck, most of them don't even know what they are looking at when they see a stamp (real or printed). Just because they carry a gun, doesn't mean that they are gun enthusiasts who love/know guns. Most of them are lucky they know how to operate the darn thing enough to pass their 50rd qualifiers each year.

Enjoy the back of the line but it's your own doing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

They are not originals, they are 600dpi scans reprinted at half-size and with an Authorized Copy watermark.
View Quote

What is this "Authorized Copy" watermark you are speaking of? Are you actually requesting a certified copy in addition to the original Form 4?

Honestly I think you're a little too paranoid about this -  I'm sure you don't carry around the receipts of all your Title I firearms to prove ownership. What about all your firearms acquired through private sales have no paper trail? Are you worried about justifying legitimate ownership of those to an ignorant LEO?

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What is this "Authorized Copy" watermark you are speaking of? Are you actually requesting a certified copy in addition to the original Form 4?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like Conqueror scans in his original paper forms at 600dpi, then reprints them at half size and uses the printer driver to add a watermark that says "Authorized Copy" when printing out.  The watermark could be made to say "real copy, honest" if so desired, instead.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's almost like having an escalator install. It does the same thing as the stairs but it's electronic and faster. Yet you still decide to take the stairs as some moral high ground and bitch about everyone else getting to the top before you because they went ahead and jumped on board with the new technology.
View Quote

That would only be a fair comparison if the guy who built the escalator told you you were guaranteed to reach the top at the same speed either way, then installed obstacles in your stairwell and accelerated the escalator after you were already in the stairwell,  in defiance of his multiple promises.

So, in other words, it's a fucking stupid comparison.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sounds like Conqueror scans in his original paper forms at 600dpi, then reprints them at half size and uses the printer driver to add a watermark that says "Authorized Copy" when printing out.  The watermark could be made to say "real copy, honest" if so desired, instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Paper individual forms are taking about 6 months here.
View Quote

Same thing I'm seeing.

Mailed a form 1 and 4 on Feb 4.  Form 4 approved 8/3 and form 1 approved 8/9.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That would only be a fair comparison if the guy who built the escalator told you you were guaranteed to reach the top at the same speed either way, then installed obstacles in your stairwell and accelerated the escalator after you were already in the stairwell,  in defiance of his multiple promises.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um, the ATF never said that paper forms would get approved at the same rate. They have always stated that eforms will take priority and be a more efficient system of getting approvals processed.

The only thing holding you back is yourself. Not the ATF. You could be submitting all day long but at the end of the day it is you who is causing this problem.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Um, the ATF never said that paper forms would get approved at the same rate. They have always stated that eforms will take priority and be a more efficient system of getting approvals processed.

The only thing holding you back is yourself. Not the ATF. You could be submitting all day long but at the end of the day it is you who is causing this problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Quit refusing to use eForms for a dumbass reason and then bitch your paper forms are taking longer. Some people's kids...
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

So you're going to add a non-standard feature to government document and convince me that it's more legitimate than another government document that just happens to look, in your opinion, "unprofessional". I'd be inclined to scrutinize you more if I saw something like that while inspecting your documents.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#40]
ATF has said on more than one occasion that eforms are processed faster than paper forms.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:31:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
ATF has said on more than one occasion that eforms are processed faster than paper forms.
View Quote

It just makes sense. The data entry is already done and they don't have to track down scraps of dead tree. They don't even have to mail it. It's the way of the future. /Howard Hughes

I will say it looks crappy though. The fields are strangely filled out and missing data but I am assured that it made it into the NFRTR so whatever. I will also say that one of my approved eforms only showed the image of the stamp when it loaded. It would be easy to fake but I like not being a felon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:33:50 AM EDT
[#42]
I made a out of state purchase from a dealer. The Form 4 took 2 months, and yes it was a form 4, not form 3. The fact that the transfer was between dealer sprobably decreased the time, im not expecting the next stamp (local dealer to me) to be as fast.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This. Quit refusing to use eForms for a dumbass reason and then bitch your paper forms are taking longer. Some people's kids...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1......Jeez!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#44]
There should be a line regardless of the process used, if efile gets you in line faster cool, if the paper file is slower to get you in line so be it. But once in line they should be processed in the order received and there is no way it works that way based on the huge time disparities.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Some of you guys are getting paper forms back reallllly fast.
I've been keeping up with Silencer Shop's ATF waiting time tracker and as far as paper Form 4s go, it  looks like they haven't broken into boxes of 2014 submissions...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#46]
FWIW, I had a paper Form 4 go pending 6 days after it was received and the check was cashed.  I will report back when my SOT calls and says it is in.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:36:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Interesting in seeing how this develops as well.

Have a paper Form 4 (trust) that went pending in early July.  Kind of hoping we start seeing these go sub-6 months.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:44:33 AM EDT
[#48]
There's a paper form 4 on NFATracker that was submitted in late June and was approved on 8/22.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:50:44 AM EDT
[#49]
I hope they trend down, but I still have a bit to find out I have a May Pending form 4 and two more since then I haven't checked on.  I have two efile stamps and would so them all that way if form 4 was up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:11:50 AM EDT
[#50]
my last was mailed Dec 1.... came back in 6 months..................... waiting on 2 more form 3's........... there running 6-8 weeks
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top