Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2014 7:24:40 AM EDT
What is arfcoms opinion on advertising that you own NFA items? Especially for those who own machine guns and firearms worth tens of thousands of dollars.

Do you go around telling all of your friends/family and posting pictures of your MGs online or do you keep it private?

On one hand i want to show off something im proud of and have devoted a great amount of time and money into and get people interested about firearms and shooting. If it wasn't for websites like this full of pictures and knowledge i wouldn't be where I am today and i want to pay that forward, but at the same time advertising something of great value online or in person puts you and your collection at risk as criminals often target collectors of guns, art, coins, classic cars, photography equipment, etc...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Concealed means concealed
Personally, only a very few select friends and family know.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Family and friends that aren't dirtbags know.

I don't have a whole lot of dirtbags in my life though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Family and friends that aren't dirtbags know.

I don't have a whole lot of dirtbags in my life though.
View Quote

this.  i dont offer stories of my NFA items unless i know the person well enough to invite them to my house for dinner.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't hide my NFA items.  I tell my friends about them and try to get new people to try them whenever possible.  I want as many people to be NFA owners as possible, so we have more people on our side.

If you have a large collection you need insurance.  I also have security cameras, safes and other security measures.  All of my friends are good guys, and I have no problem sharing my collection with them.  I do have some cousins that have been involved with theft.  They aren't welcome to my house and I generally avoid them.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, having JUST gotten into the game...and seeing how "easy" it is, I'm trying to get others educated as well. Before I got myself involved, I always was under the impression that it was SUPER extensive and very difficult to own NFA items. Obviously that's not the case, but I would venture to guess that most people think that...

That, and I got to play with a bunch of cool stuff in the Corps and miss the hell out of it! Granted it's not the same, but I'm sure I'll be happy shooting my suppressed SBR.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have NFA right now but definitely will I have a FEW select gun buddies that would know it and my wife and that's about it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Sort of hard to hide the fact you have NFA items when you have to use a public range...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#9]
My life experiences have taught me to trust no one.  The less people know about my business, the better.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#10]
You mean all of you don't have the little stick figure decals depicting each of your stamps or NFA items on the rear window of the minivan? For shame!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You mean all of you don't have the little stick figure decals depicting each of your stamps or NFA items on the rear window of the minivan? For shame!!
View Quote

When did you see me on I95 north?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#12]
only family and maybe one or two close friends know about my guns. I'd prefer to keep it that way.  I'm not sure what i would do if I had to go to a public range with my toys.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#13]
There's videos on Facebook of me and other folks shooting my M16, no hiding it now
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Select friends and family members know.  But I always have to post up stuff on another board just to piss off someone that thinks he knows all about NFA items. I always find it funny how people post on FB that they are going out of town.  I always follow that post with cool I will be right over to steal your $^$^.  Either people are going on less vacations or they are getting the hint.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#15]
No one needs to know what I have. Not out to impress anyone.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#16]
People I shoot with know what I have.... That's about it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Neither, I just enjoy them and dont worry about hiding or showing them off
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Definitely don't advertise unless you want your shit stolen.  Only my parents and brother know about all of my stuff and a couple of people have seen/shot my 22 suppressor and/or played with my NV.  No one knows about my full size cans.  I wouldn't be afraid to take stuff to a meet and greet type deal with other people who had similar stuff, but I don't want people that I don't really trust that already know where I live to know how much stuff I have.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:12:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Concealed means concealed
Personally, only a very few select friends and family know.
View Quote

This, I post some pictures but how many of you guys know who dmtsc is?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#20]
While at a public range with a MG it's hard to hide it.  And if I let some random person shoot my MG at the range, and if they ask how much to get one I let them know.

See with the MG's they are only valuable on the legal market, on the black market they are worth about the same as a post sample or less.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#21]
People know I own guns. Most people don't know how many or what type. But I've posted photos and videos, gone to shoots and let other shoot my toys.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't advertise the fact. Use discretion as to whom you tell.

Thieves -- at least the smart ones -- do not tend to target registered machine guns because they know that the ATF would get involved, and the ATF is relentless in tracking down stolen machine guns. That would increase their chances of getting caught. You might find your house burglarized and your silverware taken, but your machine guns left alone.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#23]
If your purpose in owning them is to stroke your own ego, then hey, that's not going to happen without showing them off and announcing it to the world.

Otherwise, I can't think of any good that would come from advertising the fact that you have very expensive objects.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I work for a company that is firearm related,  so everybody there knows.  We all show each other our new toys,  and because we have an FFL,  almost all of my new stuff is delivered to work anyways.  

Outside of work,  all of my friends know.  I try to take everybody out shooting just so they can enjoy the experience,  so most of my friends have shot my NFA stuff.  I've been a direct influence to get several more people into buying cans.  

People I don't know?  I don't advertise.  My appearance doesn't seem to sit well with people as it is,  let alone if they knew I was packing.  I certainly don't want liberal Portland questioning my NFA ownership.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#25]
All of my close friends know I have MGs and suppressors. I shoot with them a lot and they always ask me to bring the cool stuff.

Other than that, people know I'm into guns but don't know how many or what I own.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I neither advertise or hide it. I carry on my shooting activities the same as if I had no NFA items. I'm prepared enough that I hope they would know better than to try and rob me. I also don't associate with scum as I have zero tolerance for scumbags.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I have shared with my trusted friends. More people in the game the better. I have offered my experiences to friends to help them get into NFA ownership.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top