BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#1]

IDENT:

Pros - With IDENT, I simply built the lower as everything was perfect. IDENT's website allows you to do more online when ordering (describing the work you want done, payment via CC available online, etc.).

Cons - I was quoted a 2-3 week turn-around.

Overall - 9.9

Gray Laser:

Pros - Complete transaction took 4 business days. Friendly CS. Sharp small font (though not as sharp as IDENT's).

Cons - Engraving was not fully colored in and that there were some handling marks on the outside of the lower (i'm guessing where a piece of machinery clamped on to the lower). They call you when they get the lower and that's when you pay with CC over the phone (not cool if they get the lower while you are in a meeting-filled day). Feels more like a mom-n-pop business.

Before Cleanup:

After hitting the lower with rubbing alcohol, and Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black/Cold water a couple of times.

Overall - 9.5

Keep in mind, both of these places are heads and shoulders above any other engraving work I have had done on a lower. I would not hesitate to use either one. The only reason I took the chance on Gray was b/c I accidentally got a lower approved in 2 days!
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Whoa!  Is that engraving inside a FIXED triggerguard I see, or is it an optical illusion and/or I'm hallucinating?   That's what I've been trying to find everywhere.  I have a Balios-Lite receiver I need engraved, and I want it inside the fixed guard.  This receiver is like jewelry to me, and I don't marks out in the open.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here are a few by Jeff at US Tactical in Oakton VA...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5569/15178325621_07cb61178f.jpg

Whoa!  Is that engraving inside a FIXED triggerguard I see, or is it an optical illusion and/or I'm hallucinating?   That's what I've been trying to find everywhere.  I have a Balios-Lite receiver I need engraved, and I want it inside the fixed guard.  This receiver is like jewelry to me, and I don't marks out in the open.
Yes, it is a fixed trigger guard, on a Mega billet lower... the guard itself gets a little thinner (side-to-side) in the middle... was no problem for the laser...

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you Sir!  I'll get a hold of them pronto.  My quest may end victorious after all.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
"Jeff" at US Tactical (in Oakton VA) engraved my lower today.  He sent pics and some really cool videos of the work being done.  I wish I could post the vids, but I can't without broadcasting my name and home location.  FWIW, it was awesome looking!LOL

Here is a crappily edited pic while it was still in the white.

He charges more ($80), but for great communication, good looking work, and getting it done under a fixed trigger guard (when no one else I could find would) ---  it's an excellent deal in my book.

Thank you again "jdhill" and Jeff.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Placeholder for pics
My sbr lower was done by thunderbeast arms in Cheyenne.
I drove up there and they did it for $65 while I had lunch.
I'm very pleased and referred a friend but apparently they're no longer doing engraving. It was neat to see suppressos getting made

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Got mine done by Veritas Machining here in Michigan  : http://veritasmachiningllc.com/ .  Took about 4 days total.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:42:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I went through Ident with my SBR.  Sent it in first week of August and had it by the end of the third week of August.  Not bad turn around considering I was told 4-6 weeks minimum.

Not to mention their customer support is great.  They answered my emails within the same day.  I will definitely be returning to them for my next SBR.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Got mine done by Veritas Machining here in Michigan  : http://veritasmachiningllc.com/ .  Took about 4 days total.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/d_clark/media/securedownload2_zpsd40d30a4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/d_clark/securedownload2_zpsd40d30a4.jpg</a>
View Quote

Is that a flared magwell like a noveske?

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Wanted to add another example to this thread. I sent my PS90 receiver to CS223 based on his prior work. He normally engraves them in a single line above the charging handle. However, I taped up the receiver trying to keep all the springs in place after I removed the barrel, and told him to just pick somewhere. He put it right above the SN. Looks great. (In case you haven't seen one up close, the finish on a PS90 looks like a kindergartner was in charge...mine has actual paint runs, or whatever the finish is).

The raw engraving:

After reblackening:

You can see some of the poor finish in those pics. Here's one shot I had of the runs in the finish:

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/d_clark/media/securedownload2_zpsd40d30a4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/d_clark/securedownload2_zpsd40d30a4.jpg</a>

No, is a Spikes lower.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#11]
How many prosecuted for not engraving?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm more interested in what you are actually charged with for not engraving.

What about half engraving? i.e., the maker puts the name and city and serial number but forgets the caliber and model...
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What about half engraving? i.e., the maker puts the name and city and serial number but forgets the caliber and model...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can understand for missing caliber and all main information to identifying a weapon but what if one sbr a exisiting firearms? All the important information to match the weapon is on there. Original MFG, caliber, serial and gun model. I don't see why a sbr must have the new makers information. It's not like the atf doesn't know who that gun belonged to if anything serious happened.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I went with Veritas Machining, and I love their work. Phil is a great guy to deal with. $40 + shipping each way. It took about a week.

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Why don't people just buy a really cheap barrel and engrave on that? I would do that rather than engrave on an expensive lower. :)
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:23:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why don't people just buy a really cheap barrel and engrave on that? I would do that rather than engrave on an expensive lower. :)
View Quote

I can think of two reasons:
1. I'd rather have a nice barrel and a cheap lower than vice versa.
2. Firearm has to always be marked, so those people that swap uppers would have to engrave every barrel.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

That looks great.  I like the font, adds a little class

Is the lip of the magwell getting engraved kosher?  Would the ATF try to screw you on it and say it's not plainly visible or whatever the language in the reg is?

Also, $40 and shipping is a pretty good price.  On down the line if (or more likely, when ) I decide to make another SBR, I think I'll try them out.  Loved CS223's work, and call me a nerd, but I like that Times New Roman-looking font.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is the lip of the magwell getting engraved kosher?  Would the ATF try to screw you on it and say it's not plainly visible or whatever the language in the reg is?
View Quote

"Conspicuously placed" is the wording.

Last discussion I saw on this mentioned you'd never hand an ATF agent your AR with a mag in it, so it's visible when they look. Not going to say that's right or wrong, it's just the defense presented by some of those that have it done.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Just got this back from Ident

Dennis
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Last discussion I saw on this mentioned you'd never hand an ATF agent your AR with a mag in it, so it's visible when they look. Not going to say that's right or wrong, it's just the defense presented by some of those that have it done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how I did mine.  I really like it inside the magwell.  And it's plain as day if you invert the rifle with mag out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Awesome, that's how I'll get my next one done then.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top