Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 9:10:43 PM EDT
I'm throwing around the idea of converting a Colt LE6933 to 300BO.  I was thinking of selling the stock 11.5 in barrel to fund a new 300BO barrel.  

First off, do I need to be able to put a 11.5 in barrel back on the gun, for legal reasons?

Second,  I keep thinking I'll regret selling the barrel.  Do you think there's any reasons I should keep the original setup? I can't think of any reason to keep it (other than if there's any legal ramifications).  I don't like having a FSP anyways and I have another 5.56 SBR.

I just wanted to get some thoughts on this and appreciate the help.

Cheers
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:35:50 AM EDT
[#1]
You can do that with no issues. It's already registered as an SBR...

Why not just get a complete .300bo upper and easily switch back and forth?

Either way, I wouldn't sell the barrel, but not for any legal reason.

Quoted:
I'm throwing around the idea of converting a Colt LE6933 to 300BO.  I was thinking of selling the stock 11.5 in barrel to fund a new 300BO barrel.  

First off, do I need to be able to put a 11.5 in barrel back on the gun, for legal reasons?

Second,  I keep thinking I'll regret selling the barrel.  Do you think there's any reasons I should keep the original setup? I can't think of any reason to keep it (other than if there's any legal ramifications).  I don't like having a FSP anyways and I have another 5.56 SBR.

I just wanted to get some thoughts on this and appreciate the help.

Cheers
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:44:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd keep the factory stuff, but that's only because I had a 300blk and ended up ditching it and going back to 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses.  
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd keep the factory stuff, but that's only because I had a 300blk and ended up ditching it and going back to 5.56.
View Quote

Why did you end up ditching the 300BO?

I want to get a suppressor too and trying to do this on the "cheap" side.  I can get a Noveske barrel and a NSR rail much cheaper than buying a quality complete upper.  If I had the money I would just buy a new upper and not sweat it.  I'm just thinking that even I were to keep it 5.56, I'd want to shave off the fsp or get a new barrel/free float rail.   I know it sounds like I have my mind made up but I don't.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I want to get a suppressor too and trying to do this on the "cheap" side.  I can get a Noveske barrel and a NSR rail much cheaper than buying a quality complete upper.  If I had the money I would just buy a new upper and not sweat it.  I'm just thinking that even I were to keep it 5.56, I'd want to shave off the fsp or get a new barrel/free float rail.   I know it sounds like I have my mind made up but I don't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cost and availability of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd just buy another upper.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#7]
My F1 SBR is a 300BO.  I will eventually be buying a 10.5" .223 upper.....  

Keep your factory upper, as already said, .223 is more readily available and cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:23:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My F1 SBR is a 300BO.  I will eventually be buying a 10.5" .223 upper.....  

Keep your factory upper, as already said, .223 is more readily available and cheaper.
View Quote

Unless you reload...but then if you get into reloading just for the 300blk...you must factor in the $ for the equipment...it's a slippery slope folks...slippery indeed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#9]
If it's a permanent change (barrel length or caliber) I believe you need to notify the ATF. Temporary swaps are okay but if you sell your upper, that would make a hard case to convince the ATF it's only a temporary configuration.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Although ATF states on the Form 4 that you must notify them of any permanent change in configuration, (1) no change in configuration is truly permanent on an AR-type weapon, and (2) there's no statutory or regulatory authority behind this requirement.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Although ATF states on the Form 4 that you must notify them of any permanent change in configuration, (1) no change in configuration is truly permanent on an AR-type weapon, and (2) there's no statutory or regulatory authority behind this requirement.
View Quote

Yeah...it's one of those screwy things.

As explained to me by an Industry Partner in this site, there's a law that requires the ATF to keep the database as accurate as possible...so they're are required to ask. However, there's no statute that says you have to tell them.

Then, there's always the discussion about the definition of "permanent" with regards to the AR platform...
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not planning on selling the upper.  Just the barrel, fsp, gas tube, and flash hider.  Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm not planning on selling the upper.  Just the barrel, fsp, gas tube, and flash hider.  Thanks for the replies!
View Quote

The barrel would make a bigger difference than the upper...since that's where the length and caliber come from.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:29:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buying the upper is the cheap part.

NFA stamps and ammo is expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top