Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 5:02:56 AM EDT
I eFiled a Form 1 for an SBR with a mistake... I chose the caliber "multi" instead of .300.  I've contacted the "experts" and asked that they cancel the form.  They responded that they are having difficulty with working with forms in the eForm system.  Either way, I figure that my form 1 is going to get denied at some point soon.  So, here is my question:

Should I go ahead and paper file a new form 1 now?  If it gets to the pending state before the eForm is canceled, will this be a problem?

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:06:05 AM EDT
[#1]
They may let you do a correction. Some they are just denying but they have let a few people correct them. Form ones are still down in the reform system so you'll have to wait a few more weeks fir then to cone back up and be edited.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:14:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Reading and research is a virtue
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:18:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They may let you do a correction. Some they are just denying but they have let a few people correct them. Form ones are still down in the reform system so you'll have to wait a few more weeks fir then to cone back up and be edited.
View Quote

This.  

Also I'd wait awhile to resubmit if they won't correct it.  ETA for form 1 eForm coming back online is still unknown but it's worth waiting 6 weeks or so.  It'll still be a  quicker overall turn-time than paper.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice fellas.  I did my research, but foolishly assumed that the ATF wouldn't offer an invalid choice on a pick list.

Any advice on the best way to go about asking for a correction?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice fellas.  I did my research, but foolishly assumed that the ATF wouldn't offer an invalid choice on a pick list.

View Quote

Contact NFA first thing tomorrow and find out who your examiner is, and ask to speak to them.  From what I hear, you'll get a phone call back from them and talk to him/her and see if issue can be hopefully corrected.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I did once before the shutdown.  I have called them and was instructed to email NFA branch, ask to retract the application, and re-file.

they couldn't do correction on e-file form 1, neither can transfer the $200.  the form I submitted became "disapproved" and about a week later I got the refund from pay.gov

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

It probably isn't on an examiner's radar yet if it's a recent submission (at least that's how it worked with my eForm stamps).  Most folks I've seen with corrections were done by contacting a rep through "ask the expert".  

I couldn't tell you exactly what to ask though.  Sometimes someone runs across a rep who'll do it without it being suggested.  Others seem to just kick it back.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:00:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Multi is not a valid option and will get denied.  eForms, unlike the paper versions, can not be corrected so you will need to submit a new Form 1.  Email [email protected] to request your current eForm be withdrawn and send another email to [email protected] to request the $200 be refunded.  The refunds are only taking about a week at this time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes officially, eForm bulletins state that forms completed incorrectly have to be withdrawn and re-submitted.  Unofficially, ATF has occasionally been correcting some of these forms.  

Since eForm is down and online resubmission isn't possible right now, it's worth asking if they'll correct it.  The worst he'll hear is no.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes officially, eForm bulletins state that forms completed incorrectly have to be withdrawn and re-submitted.  Unofficially, ATF has occasionally been correcting some of these forms.  

Since eForm is down and online resubmission isn't possible right now, it's worth asking if they'll correct it.  The worst he'll hear is no.
View Quote

Try uploading a document stating an additional configuration with proper caliber, OAL, and whatever else you want...ymmv
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:36:21 AM EDT
[#11]
They wouldn't do a correction on my e-file for this same problem.  They said even though "multi" is an option from their own pull down menu and it is what is actually engraved on my lower receiver from the original manufacturer that is also listed in their system, that they only allow it in certain cases, such as an auto sear.  That was the response from James Robertson.  I had read the online advice about it better if you don't put multi, but I thought that if they have it in their own damn menu options, it wouldn't be an issue.  Thought was also I didn't want to deviate info that is engraved on the actual receiver that they have info on in their system already.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#12]
They finally bounced it back today (5/3... a Saturday).  I'm trying to resubmit with the correct caliber.  The system let me pay, but doesn't seem to want to let me submit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They finally bounced it back today (5/3... a Saturday).  I'm trying to resubmit with the correct caliber.  The system let me pay, but doesn't seem to want to let me submit.
View Quote

That's because e-form 1s are currently not submittable.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Even if they were available for submission, technically no corrections to eForms are allowed.  It's one of the pitfalls of using them.  With that said, there have been reports of people using Ask the Experts for minor clarifications...
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sort of expected but sorry to hear that.  Means you're in no-mans land until eForm is back up and running.  Hopefully the wait isn't too long, good luck.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Curious for anybody that's had one denied. On the tree on the left side of EForms, where you'd see DRAFT, SUBMITTED/IN PROCESS, and APPROVED (I'm assuming this is the title...still waiting on all 7 I eFiled), do you now have a DENIED or REJECTED or some other option to view? Is there also. Matching watermark across the form?
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I have posted before based on my own experience, EForm does NOT do correction.

I have a Form 1 submitted with 1 spelling error.  I have called and emailed and asked the Expert.  They all came back to the same solution, email [email protected] asking to cancel the application.  you have to wait after it clears,  then re-file.

it says "DISAPPROVED" under "My Forms".

to answer your question about watermarks.  No watermark.

the bottom of form page one, the "Disapproved" box was checked, "see attached for reason for disapproval" and signed by ATF Official, mine was "Kimberly B. Ramsburg"

on page 5, under "reasons for disapproval", it was typed as "WITHDRAWN PER TRANSFEROR/TRANSFEREE REQUEST"
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#18]
As stated above, a new field "disapproved" appears and whatever forms that have been disapproved appear under it just like the Drafts and Submitted/In Process.  I replied back to the NFA agent that emailed me my disapproval notice and was told they can't correct them and your $200 fee is automatically refunded by the system.  Have to submit a new application and wait at the back of the line.  I sent an email to Gary S. hoping to get a different response, but he didn't reply to me and it's been over a week since I asked.  Sucks since no new Form 1's being allowed right now on E-file.  Have to mail it in unless you want to wait for an unknown resolution time to fixing the website.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#19]
With the eForms approvals taking upwards of 5 months now (soon to be 6 months) there is really no point in using the system even when it comes back online.  

Why submit something that you can't correct only to have it denied in 6+ months for an easily correctable mistake and then have to re-submit and start over when you can submit a paper form and wait 8-9 months, have an error corrected, and only wait 1 extra month?

They killed the eForms advantage and any reason to do it now in my opinion.  My first form took 3 months to approve so it made sense to do it even with the risk.  My last took 5 months and I wouldn't submit using eForms again at this point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top