Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2014 7:26:27 PM EDT
Past two years
Past eight years

Charts courtacy of NFATracker.com

Admittedly I'm a novice but this looks good to me. If I had to guess I would say that the post Sandy Hook panic stamps are about flushed out of the system.  I went pending on my first form 4 (Tirant 45) back in November. I'm hoping I get to shoot it yet this summer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I am hopeful but not optimistic.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Still not buying any of that stuff until I can walk out of the store immediately after the background check.  If it's the tax money they want, fine, charge it.  But I'm not filling any more papers and waiting for even days to get the stamp.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still not buying any of that stuff until I can walk out of the store immediately after the background check.  If it's the tax money they want, fine, charge it.  But I'm not filling any more papers and waiting for even days to get the stamp.  

View Quote

You are missing out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:13:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You are missing out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are missing out.

And posting in a class III thread.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:21:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I am excited. Have my first flemming sear and a number of form 1's and 4's in the system
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:21:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I just submitted a Form 4 for a suppressor.

Tagged for updates...

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:23:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just submitted a Form 4 for a suppressor.

Tagged for updates...

View Quote

Yes can use the NFA tracker website to get wait time predictions.  Just don't check it often!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:52:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Past two years
Past eight years

Admittedly I'm a novice but this looks good to me. If I had to guess I would say that the post Sandy Hook panic stamps are about flushed out of the system.  I went pending on my first form 4 (Tirant 45) back in November. I'm hoping I get to shoot it yet this summer.
View Quote

It looks like Form 1/4s for trusts are definitely going faster based on my digging through the NFA tracker data.  Individual Form 1/4s are still lagging behind.  That said, I am more hopeful on getting some forms back in a reasonable amount of time now.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:20:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Very cool. Hopefully these wait times drop even more significantly as the new staff comes on line.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:42:07 AM EDT
[#10]
152 days (November 19, 2013 to April 20, 2014)
E-form 1, trust, SBR
I received the e-mail at 10:00 pm local time on Easter Sunday
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:51:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are missing out.

Still related, no?

The main reason is lack patience to wait for a year or so.  Totally agree on the cool stuff, but that just makes the wait period worse.

WA just passed SBR so now we will be able to have them again.   But guess, what the ATF just "killed" the e-forms, which I read used to be a bit faster.   SBRs just may get me on the boat.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Still related, no?

The main reason is lack patience to wait for a year or so.  Totally agree on the cool stuff, but that just makes the wait period worse.

WA just passed SBR so now we will be able to have them again.   But guess, what the ATF just "killed" the e-forms, which I read used to be a bit faster.   SBRs just may get me on the boat.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are missing out.

Still related, no?

ATF didn't kill eforms...

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:55:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Still related, no?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are missing out.

Still related, no?

Um, no.  Your buy/not buy decision couldn't be more unrelated to the timeline for current applicants.

No one cares about whether you buy, or why you buy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:17:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are missing out.

Still related, no?

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1610449&page=3

They just changed the note to "maintenance".  Yes, technically, did not "kill".  

Anyway... good to see they are catching-up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:06:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Its interesting that the times for paper are decreasing while the time for efile is going up, looks as if at some point they will meet at the same duration.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You are missing out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are missing out.

On a Form 1 SBR I agree, however, on a suppressor that you can't posses and you have to give your dealer the money in advance I disagree.  If I could even get a can approved in 2 months I'd do it again but I don't want a dealer holding on my money and my property for 6-12 months.  Too many things can happen in that time frame both in my life and their business.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

You will be waiting beyond the foreseeable future if you wait for times to drop to anything considered convenient. While waiting for that mythical period, you might as well be slowly collecting some cool stuff.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Past two years
Past eight years

View Quote

Those early numbers are horse shit. My quickest in the early years was 4 months. Others were more like this:

"Sent Check : 1/16/01
Sent Second Check : 3/2/01
Mailed in F4 : 3/16/01
ATF Cashed Check : 4/2/01
ATF Starts Transfer : 4/18/01
ATF Approved : 7/6/01
Recieved : 7/17/01"

"Sent Check : 6/22/01
Mailed in F4 : 9/05/01
ATF Cashed Check : 9/14/01
ATF Approved : 12/6/01
Recieved : 12/23/01"

"Sent Check : 2/12/02
Form 3 Filed : 4/19/02
Form 3 Approved : 5/30/02
Mailed F4 package to Keith : 7/15/02
ATF Cashed Check : 8/01/02
From 4 Pending : 8/09/02
Examiner Anton Aegris
ATF Approved : 11/14/02 after speaking with examiner
Recieved : 12/24/02"

Still better than this though:

"Ordered 2/23/2013
Paid 4/12/13
Check Cashed : 4/25/13
Pending : 6/24/13
Approved : 2/12/14
Received: 2/24/14
Examiner : Wood"
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You will be waiting beyond the foreseeable future if you wait for times to drop to anything considered convenient. While waiting for that mythical period, you might as well be slowly collecting some cool stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If nothing else, form 1 some AR lowers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then the government elites win and you lose.  Your attitude is exactly what they want you do do.  They're trying to make it as difficult as possible so people will do exactly as you're doing.
A better response is for everyone to buy as much stuff as possible and complain as loud as possible about the wait time.  Collapse their entire damn system and force them to do a better job.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Just called to check the status on a mailed in Form 4. They said it went pending Oct 8th and should be approved in August. When I called 3 months ago they said it should be approved in July, so they added a month?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just called to check the status on a mailed in Form 4. They said it went pending Oct 8th and should be approved in August. When I called 3 months ago they said it should be approved in July, so they added a month?
View Quote

They're just making stuff up at this point...not even estimating.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Their plan is working.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I like a lot of us have been filing forms for over a decade at this point. I look at those charts and while I see a recent dip, I see a more prevalent upward trend... because the glory days of me filing corp form 1's and 4's back in the early 2000's and getting them back in +/- 2 months is loooooooong gone. Looking at my own book sized stamp portfolio each stamp came back a little longer each time. I have yet to see one of my form submittals NOT take longer than the previous one to come back to me. My last corp form 1 took nearly a year to come back and is the current long ball. I have a pending efile form 1 and a recently mailed form 4, and I'm prepping another form 1 right now and waiting to see if efile wakes back up.

So I suppose my opinion is that "I'll believe it when I see it, cuz I ain't seen it yet".
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Heading over to my dealer this afternoon to finally pick up a Sparrow.  Came back snail mail much faster then we though it would.  I will have to check the exact date submitted when I pick it up but I believe it was right around 9months.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your choice.

More for meeeeeeee.......
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Still miss the Glory Days in 2006-2007...had 4 Form 4's approved by Dawn in.....wait for it....12 DAYS!  Not Months!

Wish we would get back to that or close.

Even eForms taking 3-5 months is too long.

FH
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#28]
My fastest to date is 30 days, longest......1.5 years!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Just got back from the local FFL with my can.  Total wait time on my paper form was only 7.5 months.  A whole lot less then others reporting 10+months.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just got back from the local FFL with my can.  Total wait time on my paper form was only 7.5 months.  A whole lot less then others reporting 10+months.
View Quote

Who was your examiner?  Trust?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#31]
My fastest was 2 form 1's in 30 days door to door when Dana pickles was hired, I guess I was part of his training. :)

I was shocked when it arrived.  Wish the rest came back that fast.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a trust.   Examiner was Sandra Snook.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#33]
That graph is misleading because it populates on a 45 degree angle that gives a downward sloping appearance all the time. It needs to have aproval date on one axis and number of days on the other.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

On a Form 1 SBR I agree, however, on a suppressor that you can't posses and you have to give your dealer the money in advance I disagree.  If I could even get a can approved in 2 months I'd do it again but I don't want a dealer holding on my money and my property for 6-12 months.  Too many things can happen in that time frame both in my life and their business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are missing out.

That's exactly why I'm thinking about the SBR.  

The way things are I totally agree that one year is too long to drop approx. one grand between tax and the price of the suppressor and leave it sitting in someone else's safe.  Granted, that money will not accrue any interest during that time it's still too much time.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Can get a pistol, enjoy it and when the stamp arrives just make a few changes.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:55:17 AM EDT
[#36]
I can shoot my can while waiting for the stamp approval at my dealers range.  A lot of places do that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:39:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Those early numbers are horse shit. My quickest in the early years was 4 months. Others were more like this:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Past two years
Past eight years

in the '06 timeframe i had several form 1's that went mailbox to mailbox in around 45 days average. quickest was 30, longest was around 65.

nicole dudash was my examiner on nearly every form back in those days, with maybe one exception.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:42:30 AM EDT
[#38]
My fastest transfers were around 90 days even in the good times of 2006/7.  Ted Clutter was my examiner back then.  More recently it has been Dana Pickles, who seems good.  I've talked to him by phone and email and he seems to genuinely want to help.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

More for me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Three paper Forms 4 just approved from an estate to me (FFL/SOT) in just over two months!!!

I sent them to BATFE priority mail 2/13/14, and the estate settlor received them today 4/23/14 - 69 days round trip total.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#41]
so do form 4s from a private to a dealer (FFL/SOT) normally fly a lot fasteR?
That's good news because I have a sear coming in from out of state and would like to get my form 4 started ASAP.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The way things are I totally agree that one year is too long to drop approx. one grand between tax and the price of the suppressor and leave it sitting in someone else's safe.  Granted, that money will not accrue any interest during that time it's still too much time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are missing out.

You're looking at this all wrong if you're buying with money that would be even considered for investment. Guns are for funny money you can just wipe your ass with.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
so do form 4s from a private to a dealer (FFL/SOT) normally fly a lot fasteR?
That's good news because I have a sear coming in from out of state and would like to get my form 4 started ASAP.
View Quote

In the past, they've taken as long as any other Form 4, though there's no reason that they should ever have taken that long.  This is the first time I've ever had anything get approved so quickly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top