Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2014 8:01:12 PM EDT
I decided to cut down to 6" on my .300blk.  Say goodbye dwell time! :)

I don't know if it will cycle without the can, but I only shoot it suppressed so I'm not too worried.  With more can in the handguard I shouldn't burn myself on auto anymore.  And it's a 14.5" barrel with the can now, much more manageable.

***VIDEO of the gun firing on page 2***
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]
That looks really nice, but are you worried about baffle strikes?
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks really nice, but are you worried about baffle strikes?
View Quote

Why would I?  6" is plenty of room to stabilize.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks great.  I am curious to hear how well it runs with the gas port so close to the muzzle.  Regardless, that's one nice, compact package.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I like it, now how does it shoot?
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#6]
That is nice.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#7]
What length hand guard?
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#8]
That upper makes my pants tighter then watching football after thanksgiving dinner..
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What length hand guard?
View Quote

That is a Samson evo 11"
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks.  

Is there an advantage of the 11" over the 12.37" model (besides ~1oz)?
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks.  

View Quote

It's slightly cheaper, haha.  I don't know, I have 5 samson rails, I just kind of pick and choose, move rail from one gun to the other.  If I had a longer rail I would have used it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's slightly cheaper, haha.  I don't know, I have 5 samson rails, I just kind of pick and choose, move rail from one gun to the other.  If I had a longer rail I would have used it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.  

OK.   That makes sense.  I really like what you've done with this.  I currently have three SBR stamps pending and I'm trying to get ideas.

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OK.   That makes sense.  I really like what you've done with this.  I currently have three SBR stamps pending and I'm trying to get ideas.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks.  

Well, .300 blk is all about subsonic.  So for me barrel length is pointless as it only impedes maneuverability and adds weight.  I primarily use the rifle for hunting pigs and shooting from vehicles.  Long barrels take too long to swing out of a window.  I only shoot it suppressed so as short as it will function is what I'm going to choose.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Finally took it out to shoot.  Had some trouble cycling, wasn't getting a full stroke... but it wasn't too far off.  Disassembled and measure the gas port at .080" which is wayyy too small, even for it's factory length.  I took it out to .096" and we'll see how it does.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I like what you did.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks awesome!!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Finally took it out to shoot.  Had some trouble cycling, wasn't getting a full stroke... but it wasn't too far off.  Disassembled and measure the gas port at .080" which is wayyy too small, even for it's factory length.  I took it out to .096" and we'll see how it does.
View Quote

I hope this fixes it.  Good luck! Let us know when it is running full speed!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:11:04 AM EDT
[#18]
That's not a short rifle....

This is a short rifle.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:25:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Post pics of the suppressor after you send a few rounds down range....and wear eye protection
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Post pics of the suppressor after you send a few rounds down range....and wear eye protection
View Quote

Pics after I send a few rounds down range?  Is something going to change?  I shot 5 mags through it yesterday, it looks the same.  I assume you think the can is going to contact the handguard?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#23]
so .096 cycled subs/supers with the can reliably?
I have a 10.5" that i want to cut down...
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
so .096 cycled subs/supers with the can reliably?
I have a 10.5" that i want to cut down...
View Quote

I didn't have a chance to run any subsonics through the gun.  Trying to tame some nasty bolt bounce with the .300 upper and trying to use the most violent rounds I can.  But, I will definitely take it out this week to let you know if it's running or if I'll need to open it up more.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks. I was thinking about cutting mine to 7-7.5" but gas port data is hard to come by for 300 BLK, and I don't have anything other than a dewalt drill (no press) so I'd rather give ADCO or whoever my preferred port size and not have to touch it after that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#26]
.096" is starting to cycle, but in auto I could only get 2-3 shot bursts.  It would not lock back on a full mag, going to have to go just slightly bigger and it should be good.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice work!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:44:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Would one of those pigtail gas tubes help in dwell time?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#29]
what can is that?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
what can is that?
View Quote

It's an SAS Arbiter Ti
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's an SAS Arbiter Ti
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what can is that?

It's an SAS Arbiter Ti

I just redrilled to .109" and this should be the sweet spot.  I will report when I get it verified.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm going with a 7" and .104 I think should be the sweet spot for that. Let me know how .109 goes for that 6.0" barrel!
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm going with a 7" and .104 I think should be the sweet spot for that. Let me know how .109 goes for that 6.0" barrel!
View Quote

I took it out today to finally test the larger port and realized I had my phone with me, so I made a quick video.

YouTube

The cyclic rate is very low, which I like, however that may be indicative of too low gas still.  I'll have to do some more shooting.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I took it out today to finally test the larger port and realized I had my phone with me, so I made a quick video.

YouTube

The cyclic rate is very low, which I like, however that may be indicative of too low gas still.  I'll have to do some more shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YouTube

Is it wrong that I felt nothing but hateful jealousy while watching your video?
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YouTube

Hehehe, I know how you feel.  It's a healthy motivator.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#36]
I am interested to see your accuracy shooting from a rest now.
Still haven't sent off my barrel to ADCO...

Dang nice full auto...
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Dang nice full auto...
View Quote

I will test that here shorty.  Next on the agenda is a 247gr mold so I can do some coated cast bullets from here on out.  Time to make .300blk subsonic affordable.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Very nice work. Looks fun.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I will test that here shorty.  Next on the agenda is a 247gr mold so I can do some coated cast bullets from here on out.  Time to make .300blk subsonic affordable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang nice full auto...

Does the coating keep the lead from building up on suppressor baffles?

I have a 220 gr mold but haven't even started since I know cast bullets and non-serviceable suppressors are a no go.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have a 220 gr mold but haven't even started since I know cast bullets and non-serviceable suppressors are a no go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang nice full auto...

Yes it does, that's the same reason I'm concerned.  Some have shown it even produces less debris than copper jackets.  Also, an added bonus is you don't need to lube the bullets, the molds don't need lube groves, and the gun doesn't smoke at all when fired.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Any update on how this cycles suppressed/unsuppressed?
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Any update on how this cycles suppressed/unsuppressed?
View Quote

It runs fine on supersonic unsuppressed, I did not try subsonic unsuppressed.. but not sure why anyone would, to be honest, hehe.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Nice Video !
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Sixxers all around
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Interesting buffer/stock.  What kind of spring are you running?
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#46]
The one supplied with the stock, stock, BCG, buffer and spring are all proprietary.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The one supplied with the stock, stock, BCG, buffer and spring are all proprietary.
View Quote

Interesting, I wonder if that would run in auto without bolt bounce.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#48]
It has been done, videos on MFG website, not sure if it required modification to prevent bounce, my guess is it didn't the buffer is built into the BCG, the spring is short and stiff.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#49]
you should make a video of it running with and without the can, would be interested in seeing that!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top