Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2014 7:31:22 PM EDT
Ok I have my trust setup & ready to go but need help in getting the Form 1 filled out & e-filed for a SBS that I will cut myself.

Can anyone give me the next steps?  How do I actually fill out & submit a Form 1 via e-file for myself?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not that complicated. Transfer your trust document to PDF., log into the ATF eFile system, select the appropriate form. In this case #1. List you trust name, in the space were it ask for your name. List the make of the shotgun, serial number etc... It will ask for the measurements also, don't type the symbols for inches just the digits. Then you'll submit your trust doc. If everything goes to plan it will then ask you to submit a credit card for the fee.

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok the trust is already in PDF form, so I'm good there.

I need to get registered on the ATF efile system which I suppose is my next step.  Which I see is located here: ATF E-File

Hopefully I won't have issues with I.E. 10/11 - I just downloaded 10, but it says 11, either way seems ATF doesn't support this version?  Am I better off using Firefox?

What measurements will I need to provide on the Form 1 for a SBS exactly?  The length that I am cutting the barrel down to?  Or the overall gun before/after I cut etc?

So I fill out the entire efile form & then enter my CC info for the tax stamp & it charges when I submit the application?
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Just for the record, to make sure I am filling out the right form, if I intend to cut the shotgun barrel myself, it is a Form 1 I efile correct?  (I am not an FFL or license holder of any kind)
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok the trust is already in PDF form, so I'm good there.

I need to get registered on the ATF efile system which I suppose is my next step.  Which I see is located here: ATF E-File

Hopefully I won't have issues with I.E. 10/11 - I just downloaded 10, but it says 11, either way seems ATF doesn't support this version?  Am I better off using Firefox?

What measurements will I need to provide on the Form 1 for a SBS exactly?  The length that I am cutting the barrel down to?  Or the overall gun before/after I cut etc?

So I fill out the entire efile form & then enter my CC info for the tax stamp & it charges when I submit the application?
View Quote

This will help you:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/415446_Visual_guide__How_to_fill_out_a_Form_1_using_EFORMS.html

I used Firefox and had no issues.

The eform is pretty intuitive. You should only need the barrel length you're cutting down too and the overall length of the firearm after you have the barrel cut.

When you are done filling in all the prompts, you'll pay via CC. Then you "sign" by clicking a box and inputting your password. Then you're done.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just for the record, to make sure I am filling out the right form, if I intend to cut the shotgun barrel myself, it is a Form 1 I efile correct?  (I am not an FFL or license holder of any kind)
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Perect walkthrough here..

Would be nice if this link and instructions could be stickied.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Perect walkthrough here..

Would be nice if this link and instructions could be stickied.
View Quote

I'm a little biased, but that's far from a perfect walk through. For one thing, he says you can file multiple firearms on a single application, which just isn't true.

The "Visual Guide" thread linked a couple posts above yours has a LOT more info, and is stickied for your convenience.

-Greg
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok I've finally been able to get my Form 1 going & have run into some road blocks, hopefully someone here can easily help clear up.

You are asked about "Manufacturer" of the gun, which for me is Ishmash Izhevsk & that comes up under Manufactures name.

But then the next line asks for Country of Manufacturer & only has Russian Federation, not just plain Russia?  I assume that part is correct?  Or is the manufacturers country supposed to be MY country which is obviously USA?

Then when I choose "Product Type" - Short Barreled Shotgun, the Model & caliber drop downs get populated & lists the model as MP220 & caliber 20g?  

Which I have no idea why, so I clicked "my item description is not in the list, create new item"

It doesn't allow me to select a product type at that poing, but I can manually input the Model which I believe is GIZ-109 & the caliber - 12, unit of measure gauge

But I am getting ! error/warning marks saying that an unknown item & model has been entered?  

I have barrel length, overall length & serial # correct.

But what should I put in description?  Just black saiga 12 shotgun?  

What about the "state why you want to make firearm" box?  I just put for collectors reasons?  Is there anything better to put there?  Is anything more needed?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#9]
You can leave description blank.  Reason can be "collecting", I've heard that "all lawful purposes" is also acceptable.  They'll take a little while (day or two) to "research" the submission, since what you're entering isn't already in their database, and then you'll go to the submitted/in progress status.  You'll stay there until you're approved.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The "Visual Guide" I made that is linked above addresses some of that. If you have to put the check mark and enter your own information, just include documentation of why you can't choose from the drop down. Take a pic of the serial number and model engraved and/or the manufacturer and their location. Or create a word doc with a couple sentences explaining your selections.

I've had to so that twice. You'll immediately go into Pending Research. Then, it'll change to Submitted/In Process and automatically send you an email. I've had one take about 24 hours, and the other was cleared up in less than 3.5 hours.

The watermark on your form will also change from DRAFT to SUBMITTED when you get the email notification. That's when you're actually in line (equivalent to the Pending you get with paper forms).
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The "Visual Guide" I made that is linked above addresses some of that. If you have to put the check mark and enter your own information, just include documentation of why you can't choose from the drop down. Take a pic of the serial number and model engraved and/or the manufacturer and their location. Or create a word doc with a couple sentences explaining your selections.

I've had to so that twice. You'll immediately go into Pending Research. Then, it'll change to Submitted/In Process and automatically send you an email. I've had one take about 24 hours, and the other was cleared up in less than 3.5 hours.

The watermark on your form will also change from DRAFT to SUBMITTED when you get the email notification. That's when you're actually in line (equivalent to the Pending you get with paper forms).
View Quote

Ok I was told on the Saiga forums by someone that they had the Saiga 12 populate in the drops downs, so I need to check the manufacturer that I choose, but I'm pretty sure I had it correct as the only one that populated was Ishmash Izhevsk

If I find the correct choice in the auto-gen drop downs, should I still send in pics of the receiver?  But you're sure that pics are needed if I have to manually enter the info?
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 3:36:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I find the correct choice in the auto-gen drop downs, should I still send in pics of the receiver?  But you're sure that pics are needed if I have to manually enter the info?
View Quote

The pics aren't needed in either case.  However, if you have to manually enter the info, the pics may make the "research" time easier and shorter for the ATF employee who does it.  When I did a F1 for an SBR, the correct information wasn't in the drop-downs, so I emailed Gary Schaible (his address is in all the eForms bulletins and outage notices).  He added the information to the system for me, so there wasn't a delay on the form itself.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 4:05:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Agree with above post. Not required. But, anything to make the examiner's job easier is only going to help you out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok I just rechecked again & for sure these are the only choices in regards to anything Saiga 12 related:

Manufacturer Name - Ishmash Izhevsk
Manufacturer Country - Russian Federation

It also still pulls up an MP220 & 20g for the auto-fill drop downs, so I just entered it manually.

I finally got into the website today & have been able to upload my trust via 7 different files all under 3mb (trying final save/finish right now) but I don't have any photos of the receiver available and I REALLY want to submit this thing now while it's running fairly smooth for me now with all of the nightmares the website has been giving myself & everything else.  

Once I submit it, could I go back later in a few days & add the pictures once I take them?
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:.  

Once I submit it, could I go back later in a few days & add the pictures once I take them?
View Quote

I've been told that you can go back and add attachments, even though you can't change anything on the form. I've not actually done it. If it's going to take a couple days, it may already be handled by that point. A text document with a sentence or two could be helpful...again, not required.

No camera on your phone where you can take a pic and upload it? (Or maybe you're not near the firearm, which can't be immediately fixed).
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I just logged in and went to the Electronic Documents portion of the oldest F1 I have in the system (filed 12/24).

It did let me attach another document. I did not try to save it, so I don't know for sure if it works...but you could try it if you wanted.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah I'm not by the firearm right now otherwise I would add it just to be safe.

Good to know I can add it later if I wanted/needed.  

Depending on how slow this website keeps going it may be a couple of days before I hit the final submit anyways
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Right after I posted that, I deleted the additional attachment and hit Home. It have me a popup that said changes wouldn't be saved because of the status of the form (or something similar). I don't know if it would've kept the attachment or not. I don't know if one in Pending Research would've been handled differently or not. Just figured I'd let you know.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks I'm waiting to "pay" right now.  If it's only a day or two difference between having pics or not, that's not too bad & I might as well just submit it now.

Hopefully everything was input correctly and goes smooth.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#20]
So I was able to pay & then while trying to "sign & submit" after putting in my password again, of course the site crashes on me.  I tried reloading it multiple times and wasn't able to get back to the submit button.

I then received an eForms Application Submission Notice for Permit/Control No:

It says my control number has changed to PENDING RESEARCH and does not list a Permit/Control # or Your Reference #

Now I see the email confirmation I received from my dealer after they submitted a suppressor last week that it went SUBMITTED/IN PROCESS & gave a Permit/Control & Your Reference #

I assume once it goes out of pending & become "in process" it will then auto-generate a Permit/Control #?

I just wanted to make sure I did everything correct & by not having the final submit button work with out errors caused me to not receive a permit/control/ref #?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes. That's what will happen. The Visual Guide sticky will tell you every bit of that. I believe I also gave these details earlier in this thread. You'll get another email. Number will be assigned. Watermark on form will change from Draft to Submitted.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Ahh ok I was wondering because I know I saw it say submitted & then went back to draft again, must be because of the pending.

THANKS to all for the help, looks like I'm good to go!
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#23]
My Form 1 still hasn't been taken out of draft to processing, should I be concerned & email them?  I know theyve been having slow down issues, but mine isn't even pending yet...
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Is there anyone I should try emailing?  I know efile has been screwy, but mine should at least be out of "draft" by now shouldn't it?
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 4:09:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is there anyone I should try emailing?  I know efile has been screwy, but mine should at least be out of "draft" by now shouldn't it?
View Quote

Can you log into EForms and use Ask The Expert?
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just did, hopefully it helps move things along.  I'll keep you in the loop, thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#27]
So I finally received a response about my Form 1 I submitted  2 months ago.

Apparently they cannot find where the form went into the Pending Research function for clearance nor did they find it submitted for processing.  

Said they will issue refund & I need to file via paper.  

They did say they would honor my Feb. 14th submission date, but I'm thinking of waiting at least another month before I decide to send in paper for this Form 1 & 2 more suppressors by then.  One of which I've already paid for a couple Wednesdays ago & the efile system went down on Friday before my guy was able to submit it.

Anyone have a clue how this could have happened with my Form 1?  I received both the payment & submission emails stating Pending/Research
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#28]
So of course, after all this I finally get an email back saying they've initiated the refund for my tax stamp & of course Efile is back up so I can edit the original submission & of course they now have the S12 listed in the drop down so it won't have to go Pending/Research.

I've waited this long, hopefully it will finally be pending within a couple weeks once they allow Form 1's again

For Manufacturer Name: It should be Ishmash Izhevsk

But what about Manufacturer Country ?  Should this be Russian Federation or United States since that is where it's becoming a SBS when the Form 1 is created?  (for some reason only USA is showing up as Manufacturer Country right now any ways)
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
But what about Manufacturer Country ?  Should this be Russian Federation or United States since that is where it's becoming a SBS when the Form 1 is created?  
View Quote

You are not the manufacturer, you are the maker, so best to list Russia.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top