Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/22/2013 9:33:27 AM EDT
What should people realistically expect for a form 3 transfer to their dealer and a form 4 transfer to their possession?

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#1]
last year you would expect about 6 weeks for a form 3 and about 6 months for a form 4
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#2]
About the same for a F3.....8-9 months for a F4/F1.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Just sent my Form 4 off yesterday, Form 3 took three months and one week to come through.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I just called.
I went pending August 12th,Mary at the NFA just said estimated time is .......15 months!
Are you kidding me 15 months to do a background check on a trust that I have 6 other stamps on!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just called.
I went pending August 12th,Mary at the NFA just said estimated time is .......15 months!
Are you kidding me 15 months to do a background check on a trust that I have 6 other stamps on!
View Quote

EXACTLY!!!  Just got off the phone and Mary told me the same thing. 15 MONTHS!!! WTF!!! Trust with multiple stampas as well. Went pending June 27th. Sucks to be us....
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What should people realistically expect for a form 3 transfer to their dealer and a form 4 transfer to their possession?

View Quote

See this post about Form 3s I made over in my other thread.

link
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Form 3 currently about 3 months.
Form 4 currently at least 9 months.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#8]
ive been waiting for my form 3 since mid august..
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Obama
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
EXACTLY!!!  Just got off the phone and Mary told me the same thing. 15 MONTHS!!! WTF!!! Trust with multiple stampas as well. Went pending June 27th. Sucks to be us....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just called.

NFA is working as designed.    
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:10:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just called.

yep.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:42:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just called.

Bingo. It's set up so that you don't want to mess with it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:07:30 AM EDT
[#13]
My first 2 stamps were like took 5 months door to door.
My next 2 stamps took 7 months door to door
My next 2 stamps (first one took 9 months,current one will take 15 months)

And I have only been doing NFA for about 4 years now.

These are the same people that people want to run there healthcare.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if filing a congressional complaint will bring any heat on the NFA branch....as in a bunch of us doing so.  Seems to me if a government organization is taking over a year to lick a stamp and mail back a piece of paper then they are doing it wrong......
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#15]
15 F****** MONTHS?!  I really hope they are just saying that to be jerks because the wait was about 6-7 months before the shutdown, which only lasted 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#16]
If 15 months is accurate then the 2 Form 1's I submitted in September will be my last NFA items.  I don't need NFA stuff that bad
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If 15 months is accurate then the 2 Form 1's I submitted in September will be my last NFA items.  I don't need NFA stuff that bad
View Quote

I just called for status....."15 Months."  I can also confirm what others are saying - the woman answering the phone (though she was very polite) wouldn't even give me a pending status, she just said "We received it on August 1st."  My package was mailed 23 July and my check was cleared on August 2nd.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I called for the first time the other day and the lady told me I went pending July 18th. If I have to wait 15 damn months I'm going to lose my mind!! I might as well go ahead and put in for all the cans I'm ever gonna want and I might get to shoot them with my grandkids!! (I'm 24)
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I talked to Mary today and was told that the new standard, as of yesterday, is that it is 15 mos from check cash date, the pending date is null and void. I asked about an item I was told 30 days on when I called Sep 2. She said this was most likely no longer true. She said she really did not know the answer only that it was cashed on March 22 and it will be approved between now  and next July.   She was very nice and really just sounded ass whipped like there is something devious is going on at the ATF they know it but have to do their job as instructed.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#20]
What the hell is going on?! I have a Form 1 that went SECOND PENDING on 7/15 and before the shutdown I was told by the NFA branch that it would be approved by October 15th.  If I lost my place in line because of this bs and have to wait another 15 months, after having already waited 9 months (check cashed in February 5th) I'm going to scream!!!  
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Money says with the proposed rule change to trusts and CLEO sign off requirements for everyone on the trust, they finally made the decision that forms currently in the system are not going to be "grandfathered in" with the rule change.  They're probably going to go back through everything they have and ID all forms on a trust and have the send them all back for CLEO signatures.  That's the only thing I can forsee that would make a 9 month wait jump up to 15 months...but hey.  This is just speculation.  Not trying to start rumors.  This is purely my prediction.

CMS
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Money says with the proposed rule change to trusts and CLEO sign off requirements for everyone on the trust, they finally made the decision that forms currently in the system are not going to be "grandfathered in" with the rule change.  They're probably going to go back through everything they have and ID all forms on a trust and have the send them all back for CLEO signatures.  That's the only thing I can forsee that would make a 9 month wait jump up to 15 months...but hey.  This is just speculation.  Not trying to start rumors.  This is purely my prediction.

CMS
View Quote

This is interesting.  She asked if it was a trust or not before she gave me my status - I don't recall being asked that before.  We need someone who applied as an individual to call and see if they get a different answer.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

CMS
View Quote

Mother of God.......
I could see them taking all forms that were not yet approved and making them re-submit with cleo sigs and prints, (NOT THAT I FUCKING WANT THAT), but come on, sending out notices for already approved stamps (in hand) for items that trusts corps, llc's already have...... man I hope your prediction is wrong, because that sounds like my nightmare.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#24]
This is interesting.  She asked if it was a trust or not before she gave me my status - I don't recall being asked that before.  We need someone who applied as an individual to call and see if they get a different answer.

I will try and give them a call in a few. This is my first can and I did it as an individual but for the guys with the trusts this is gonna suck! Hopefully they will grandfather the ones that are already in. If not it's a douche move!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I believe you are on to something here. They added 6 mos to the approval time.  The comment period for the rule change is 90 days, 3 mos.  I read on Price law blog that it requires 90 days after comment period to change the rule, 3 mor mos. this totals surprise....6 months, coincidence? I'm sure not.  The lawyers on that blog seem pretty confident that there would have to be grandfathering of some kind but TBD.   These motherfuckers........make me itch.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#26]
According the the individual I just spoke with, that's just where they are at right now....15 months from the time the paperwork is received (no mention of the pending date).  Inquired if it was because it was on a trust and was told "no"...but who the hell knows whats going on with them up there.

CMS
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Holy shit this thread is the most depressing thing I've seen all year.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I've contacted my congressman. This is ridiculous. Unacceptable.

I usually get replies from him....

I'll hide my dog.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Great, I sent in my paperwork for a M42k last week for my trust..... Depressing
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've contacted my congressman. This is ridiculous. Unacceptable.

I usually get replies from him....

I'll hide my dog.
View Quote

I'm about to do the same...and more should too.  If the ATF starts feeling the heat maybe they'll do something.  They sure do put the heat on units in the military when a congressional comes down...and it's the head shed that gets to answer for the inquiry...so maybe someone will finally get the point.  There's no reason one piece of paper should take 15 months to process.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#31]
It's a good thing I built my guns a pistols to get me by as having a suppressor locked up for 15 months is just unacceptable after having paid for it in full.

Even letting the .gov have $400 for 15 months is insane for my 2 stamps!!

I am done with NFA items after this as 15 months is just wrong.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's a good thing I built my guns a pistols to get me by as having a suppressor locked up for 15 months is just unacceptable after having paid for it in full.

View Quote

That's just what they want.  Instead of complaining about it and then doing nothing, file a congressional inquiry as to why the ATF cashes yoru $200 check and then makes you wait 15 months.  Inaction only fuels their though process that they can get away with limiting our rights by increasing the time it takes for an NFA item approval to the point most of us no longer feel it's worth it.

CMS
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's just what they want.  Instead of complaining about it and then doing nothing, file a congressional inquiry as to why the ATF cashes yoru $200 check and then makes you wait 15 months.  Inaction only fuels their though process that they can get away with limiting our rights by increasing the time it takes for an NFA item approval to the point most of us no longer feel it's worth it.

CMS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CMS

I will be contacting my reps but it will do no good as the majority of gun owners don't care about the NFA.  The mere fact that it takes more to get a suppressor, SBR, or SBS than it does to get any other firearm is stupid.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I will be contacting my reps but it will do no good as the majority of gun owners don't care about the NFA.  The mere fact that it takes more to get a suppressor, SBR, or SBS than it does to get any other firearm is stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CMS

Shooting an email to your rep will do no good.  File a DoD formal congressional inquiry.  They have to staff it through the chain....and the ATF has to offer resolution.  You may just get an excuse...but someone in the ATF headshed will have to draft a response and reply back to your senator/rep.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Shooting an email to your rep will do no good.  File a DoD formal congressional inquiry.  They have to staff it through the chain....and the ATF has to offer resolution.  You may just get an excuse...but someone in the ATF headshed will have to draft a response and reply back to your senator/rep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CMS

You do realize that ATF is not part of DOD?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

CMS
View Quote

More likely they're sick and tired of idiots calling every other day asking about status so they're giving a nice safe long estimate so that'll you'll stop bothering them.

And they're probably asking about the trusts because the individual ones take longer.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

More likely they're sick and tired of idiots calling every other day asking about status so they're giving a nice safe long estimate so that'll you'll stop bothering them.

And they're probably asking about the trusts because the individual ones take longer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CMS

You give them too much credit........
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Holy shit this thread is the most depressing thing I've seen all year.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CMS

Meant DOJ...talking about DoD in another thread.....
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

I wouldn't read anything into that.  They confirm that your name matches the serial number.  If you submit under a trust, it is the trust name that needs to match as the trust is the applicant.  They may well be able to see that your name matches the trustee name or matches another field, but it may simply be a requirement to make sure the caller (you) can identify the applicant name.

At least, that's how it seemed to me when I've called in the past (before the proposed rule).
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I have called my congressmen, no answer as of yet. How does one start a formal congressional inquiry? I will pursue this route! To my limited knowledge there is no other product we (so called) citizens have to pay for then pay a tax and then not be allowed posses or use the product for 15 months. It's just un-American!! They have a YHM Wraith, Saker and Huntertown 10-22 barrel of mine hostage right now!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I just sent a message to my congressman via his webpage. This is ridiculous. I'm 100% certain they are delaying due to the proposed rule change. 2 weeks of shut down, 10 business days, does not equal 6 MORE months of backlog. They are full of shit.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#43]

There's no reason why transfers should take 15 months when this time last year they were 5 or 6 months.

what could have happened to cause 3 times the normal processing time?

It's probably political.  You know how this administration is, nothing's too petty.

The guys who sell suppressors are going to see a lot of their sales drop off, a 15 month wait is going to be a major turn off for guys looking to buy a $400 to $800 item

Probably won't hurt M16 sales at all, a guy spending $25K on a gun is making a major purchase for investment or collecting
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There's no reason why transfers should take 15 months when this time last year they were 5 or 6 months.

View Quote

You're kidding, right?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You're kidding, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're kidding, right?

Well the government shutdown and furlough certainly wouldn't add 7 months to the pre-October wait times....
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:44:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Well the government shutdown and furlough certainly wouldn't add 7 months to the pre-October wait times....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're kidding, right?

I'm guessing the Sandy Hook shooting and the panic that followed did add a little, but it's hard to believe more then double the wait.  
This is depressing though.  Currently they have $800 of stamp money in their possession, they did have 1k, but I got one of my stamps returned 8 months after sending it in in January.  Luckily my class 3 dealer lets me put minimal money down on the two suppressors I filed for.  I mailed 4 stamps in May and June 2013, hopefully I'm on the shorter end of the wait list.  
I have one more lower to SBR, but right now I'm going to wait because I'm planning on moving very soon and don't want the stamp to get lost in the shuffle.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:04:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're kidding, right?

How about Sandy Hook + the panic we're all in because of the coming rule change? I have no doubt NFA applications are at least twice as high as they've ever been.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:05:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Damn.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:15:05 AM EDT
[#49]
The current wait time is beyond ridiculous. Regardless of the number of applicants, the increased wait time has to be intended to deter more applications.  I am done with the NFA after this.  Not because I dont like em, or that I cant put up with the wait.....but I am saving up for Night Vision (PVS-14, Dbal, helmet etc.)  At least with that gear, I can get it in a month of purchase!
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:19:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How about Sandy Hook + the panic we're all in because of the coming rule change? I have no doubt NFA applications are at least twice as high as they've ever been.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're kidding, right?

So a two week gov shutdown and the process goes from 9 mos to 15 mos, pending dates, second pending dates all no longer matter, only check cashing date.  The operator Mary told me thy will no longer give estimated date of approval like 30 days out etc.............bullshit!      There is something else happening.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top