Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2013 5:42:16 AM EDT
I have heard that where I live, Harris County, Tx, it is "impossible" to get a CLEO sign off. HPD, Harris county sherrif, district attorney, etc will never sign off, ever. Then I read this:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#necessary-le-certifications

Q: What law enforcement officials’ certifications on an application to transfer or make an NFA weapon are acceptable to ATF?

As provided by regulations, certifications by the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable. The regulations also provide that certifications of other officials are appropriate if found in a particular case to be acceptable to the Director. Examples of other officials who have been accepted in specific situations include State attorneys general and judges of State courts having authority to conduct jury trials in felony cases.[27 CFR 479.63 and 479.85]

So what gives? If my local cops won't sign off, shouldn't it be possible to have a state official sign off?
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Read up on trusts, create one, use one, no CLEO sign-off FTW.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#2]
BS - I know people in Harris County that got CLEO signatures

I hate it when people say I cant get a CLEO signature cause I heard they dont sign, yet you dont ask.
Ive told people to ask the following, and they never go past #5 as they usually get a signature by then.

Ask the following people in this Order:

1. Your city Police Chief
2. Your City DA
3. Your County Sheriff
4. Your County DA
5. Your County Judges (all of them)
6. State Police Chief (State Police or Texas Rangers)
7. State DA
8. State Judges

Do the following

Call your Police Department (NON-Emergency Number), ask for the Chief's Secretary. You may have to leave a message to have them call you back (They are usually busy). When they do call you back, explain the following:

Explain to them that you are trying to buy a Title 2 Firearm. The ATF Requires the Chief Law Enforcement officer to review the Form 1 or Form 4 and sign off on it. Does the Chief do this?

They may say Yes.

If the Chief wants to see you, go visit him and explain exactly what you want to do. If you're buying a Machinegun, don't be bashful and try to hide it, tell him. Explain to him they are a great investment and over the past year they have gone up significantly in value. If you're trying to buy a suppressor, tell him, last year the State Passed a law allowing the use of a Suppressor in hunting. You want a Suppressor so you don't have to use hearing protection while hunting. Be upfront and honest.

Make SURE you go visit the Chief with all, I mean ALL your paperwork complete except his signature. That means have your fingerprint cards complete, two form 4's, or two form 1's for him to sign, have your compliance documentation, etc... Doesn't hurt to have a copy of your drivers license and CHL to give to him.

If he's on the fence about signing it, just tell him the truth. You have many avenues to get a CLEO to sign off on it. I prefer to have you sign off on it since you are my local Police Chief. If you don't sign off on it, I'll go to other CLEO's the BATF deems acceptable, and when one of them signs off on it, I will get the item. If they sign off on it, you will not know what I own. Don't you want to know what I own? If you sign off on it, I'll bring you the forms and you will know exactly what I'm buying and what is in your city.

They'll usually sign at that point FYI. (Don't be surprised if he makes a copy of all your forms for his records, but that's a small price to pay for a signature.)

As far as Judges go, emailed all the County Judges of your County. (IT HAS TO BE A COUNTY JUDGE FYI - BATF Only accepts Judges that hear Felony Cases, and County/State Judges do that, not your local Justice of the Peace).

Link Posted: 10/5/2013 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd just hurry up and make a trust and get whatever you want now before they make it where you have to get the sign-off even for trusts soon. But yeah judges is probably your best bet if the chief won't sign. One idea I had is to change my residence to my ranch in the middle of nowhere and have the local sheriff sign off there for me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes people absolutely get signoffs in Harris county

They have to meet certain conditions

Personal friends
Large campaign contributors

Deputies need not apply
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Personal friends

Deputies need not apply
View Quote

Not True.

Like I said above, if you start asking, I seriously doubt you,ll go past #5

Most people after talking to thier chief will get a signature. (City of Houston Chief probably wont sign per the internet, but Ive never known anyone who actually lived in Houston, most of the NFA owners I know live in the subburb of Houston and many of those dept chiefs sign.

I know there is at least one County Judge that signs if you arrange a meeting with him/her.

And no, you dont have to donate a dime.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I am happy that your experience is different from the vast majority of others.

I stand by what I said.   Everyone that I know who has gotten a signoff has been connected.

Either way, if you have to go to every district court judge in Harris county to fond one who will sign then you may as well get a trust.

ETA. Some of the small municipality Chiefs do sign occasionally.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I have heard recently that Steve McCraw, director of Texas Dept of Public Safety will sign.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Read up on trusts, create one, use one, no CLEO sign-off FTW.
View Quote

for now
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Personal friends

Deputies need not apply
View Quote

I thought texas was the mecca of gun ownership.

My local police chief will sign in 10 minutes without even seeing me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 4:21:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am happy that your experience is different from the vast majority of others.

I stand by what I said.   Everyone that I know who has gotten a signoff has been connected.

Either way, if you have to go to every district court judge in Harris county to fond one who will sign then you may as well get a trust.

ETA. Some of the small municipality Chiefs do sign occasionally.
View Quote

Its reversed. The vast majority can get a CLEO if they ask. Because pf the rumors on the net people are afraid to ask. To get a County Judge to sign, ask them (you can do it by an email) Find the ones that sign and drive to the courthouse and get them to sign your forms.

Id say 70% of your cities police chiefs will sign if you go see them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Not Adrian Garcia, Harris County.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats the Sheriff

Did you ask your Cities Police Chief?
Did you ask your Cities DA?

You should always ask them first over an elected official.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thats the Sheriff

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats the Sheriff

I avoided all that noise, went trust.

My disdain for Sheriff Garcia is for all those who wish to go the regular route.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have heard recently that Steve McCraw, director of Texas Dept of Public Safety will sign.
View Quote

Again, anyone in Texas can use Mr. McCraw.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noted for future reference, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 2:02:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the input.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I went to see Lampasas County Sheriff when I got my C&R, it said something about LEO sign off at the bottom but it wasnt needed. He told me that requirement was only for Class 3 items, then asked if I was familiar with them. I said yes, I have a trust and a few items. He laughed and said I wouldnt believe what is in Lampasas county due to the forms he's signed off.

Oh Mr. Sherriff, I think I know....
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
BS - I know people in Harris County that got CLEO signatures

I hate it when people say I cant get a CLEO signature cause I heard they dont sign, yet you dont ask.
Ive told people to ask the following, and they never go past #5 as they usually get a signature by then.

Ask the following people in this Order:

1. Your city Police Chief
2. Your City DA
3. Your County Sheriff
4. Your County DA
5. Your County Judges (all of them)
6. State Police Chief (State Police or Texas Rangers)
7. State DA
8. State Judges

Do the following

Call your Police Department (NON-Emergency Number), ask for the Chief's Secretary. You may have to leave a message to have them call you back (They are usually busy). When they do call you back, explain the following:

Explain to them that you are trying to buy a Title 2 Firearm. The ATF Requires the Chief Law Enforcement officer to review the Form 1 or Form 4 and sign off on it. Does the Chief do this?

They may say Yes.

If the Chief wants to see you, go visit him and explain exactly what you want to do. If you're buying a Machinegun, don't be bashful and try to hide it, tell him. Explain to him they are a great investment and over the past year they have gone up significantly in value. If you're trying to buy a suppressor, tell him, last year the State Passed a law allowing the use of a Suppressor in hunting. You want a Suppressor so you don't have to use hearing protection while hunting. Be upfront and honest.

Make SURE you go visit the Chief with all, I mean ALL your paperwork complete except his signature. That means have your fingerprint cards complete, two form 4's, or two form 1's for him to sign, have your compliance documentation, etc... Doesn't hurt to have a copy of your drivers license and CHL to give to him.

If he's on the fence about signing it, just tell him the truth. You have many avenues to get a CLEO to sign off on it. I prefer to have you sign off on it since you are my local Police Chief. If you don't sign off on it, I'll go to other CLEO's the BATF deems acceptable, and when one of them signs off on it, I will get the item. If they sign off on it, you will not know what I own. Don't you want to know what I own? If you sign off on it, I'll bring you the forms and you will know exactly what I'm buying and what is in your city.

They'll usually sign at that point FYI. (Don't be surprised if he makes a copy of all your forms for his records, but that's a small price to pay for a signature.)

As far as Judges go, emailed all the County Judges of your County. (IT HAS TO BE A COUNTY JUDGE FYI - BATF Only accepts Judges that hear Felony Cases, and County/State Judges do that, not your local Justice of the Peace).

View Quote

Thank you very much for all of this information
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you as well!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top