Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2013 10:04:38 PM EDT
this most likely has been covered but something has to change. taking 6+ months to do a "background" is silly. it takes us a few weeks to do a background for state employees and we visit their house, friends, family, work and do a criminal background. so what could they be doing that takes this long? a lot can happen in 6 months in a persons life and they potentially could be out a lot of cash even before the GOV gets their crap done.

So who do we call or write to speed this process up? The way I see it is simple: ive never been arrested or done anything crazy to put me on a watch list, ive passed backgrounds to purchase firearms, so what's the problem? not to mention I sent you $200 for services that are taking this long. maybe im going on a limb here, but this is almost Theft of Services 2a. especially if you ordered your suppressor and for work, or family emergency, had to move to another state where you can no longer own such item. you paid for a service that took so long you cant enjoy your product because of them.

sadly I feel like no one "above" us would care. the government views these things as a luxury and we should be lucky to even be able to get them. im sure some of you will roll your eyes at this post, but by the looks of how many people in this country order stamps, we should be able to accomplish something.  

Link Posted: 7/11/2013 3:33:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I wish they would exempt those of us who hold a national security clearance from going through another background check.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 3:53:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I wish they would exempt those of us who hold a national security clearance from going through another background check.

you'd think, because we have to have them updated every 5 years also!
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 4:09:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Congress is the only ones who can fix the problem, by changing the law.

With the current gun control debate in this country, any changes made will probably be for the worse, not better.  
It's one of those situations where "it's broke, but the fix will probably be worse than what's broke".

Many people, including some members of congress and even a lot of anti-gunners, already think machine guns are illegal.
We just might want to let them continue thinking that and not draw attention to any problems we may have.

The last thing we want is for Dianne Feinstein to start poking around in the ATF.
We just might end up paying a 200 dollar tax and a 6 month wait for the purchase of every gun in America.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
snip...

The last thing we want is for Dianne Feinstein to start poking around in the ATF.
We just might end up paying a 200 dollar tax and a 6 month wait for the purchase of every gun in America.

Too late, she already has. She was wanting to put all "assault rifles" in the same class as machine guns and require the $200 stamp and everythng that goes with it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The original tax was put in place as a deterrent to ownership. There is no incentive to streamline the process.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 7:41:11 AM EDT
[#6]
The solution is simple: more manpower. Getting it done quicker doesn't require any change in the law or Congressional approval. There is simply such a backlog of forms to be processed that it takes 6 months to move through the process.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

this most likely has been covered but something has to change. taking 6+ months to do a "background" is silly.

Uh, No.

It is 6/7/8/9 months to wait till your form is at the top of the pile, then 15 minutes to process it and send it back.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You can hold a security clearance and not pass a gun background check. The two are not identical.

Link Posted: 7/11/2013 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I write my legislators, pointing out that this is a tax form. And that the general population would riot if the IRS took as long to process a 1040 & issue a refund as ATF takes to process a form 1 or 4.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
You guys aren't going to like this suggestion, but reading through the timeline threads, there are a surprising number of Forms that are returned due to errors. Make sure you double check your forms!
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The original tax was put in place as a deterrent to ownership. There is no incentive to streamline the process.

Link Posted: 7/11/2013 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You guys aren't going to like this suggestion, but reading through the timeline threads, there are a surprising number of Forms that are returned due to errors. Make sure you double check your forms!

It seems as though an error speeds up the process for your stamp. It might slow it down for everyone else, but....
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#14]
As said above, your waiting to get to the top of the stack.

"In fiscal year 2005, for example, ATF processed 41,579 NFA applications of all types. By FY 2011 that number had increased to 105,373, with a 25% decrease in the number of NFA examiners available to process the work."
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Also...folks complain about "Big Government" or the size of the government. You want to hire more examiners? That is increasing the size of government.

It is hypocritical to lament about the size of government, until doing so benefits you directly.

I personally don't care if the ATF hires more examiners (hooray if they do!), it just irks me when folks bitch in GD about the size of government and then come
into the NFA forums ranting about the need of hiring more examiners (not in this particular thread, but, you get my drift).
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Also...folks complain about "Big Government" or the size of the government. You want to hire more examiners? That is increasing the size of government.

I think most folks want to shrink govt by doing away with NFA entirely.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#17]
how is this really making government bigger? I understand its showing more people on the pay roll, but would you rather have more people working for us or a whole new agency that works against the people? the ATF is already here and not going away, so as long as its actually hiring people to do something for the people, have at it. most people complaining about the big GOV is talking about branches like the TSA, and major expansions to the IRS which absolutely does nothing to help the public.

its for damn sure that if 100000+ people didn't get their food stamps in on time there would be hell to pay. in fact, that happened a few months back and there was a mini riot downtown. I would love to see the numbers for 2013 and see how many orders they get sent in.

but like others have said, as long as people in the gov are actively trying to still ban guns, trying to get some large backing support will be difficult. all support that we have now is trying to keep what we have.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Do you believe that Congress, today, is more firearms-friendly than the Congress of the 1980's? ....

If you want to improve NFA turnaround times, elect a more pro-gun Congress.

I think that more of them are more concerned about pissing off gun owners.  The congresses of the 80s were not that conservative.  People have a romantic sense of the 80s because of Reagan but didn't they pass a rather important law dealing with machine guns...

Having spent a considerable time on the hill, even a lot of "pro-gun" members of Congress are generally oblivious to NFA issues.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Realistically the process needs to be improved and automated. As much as I despise IBM, cut them a PO for a product that provides 14 day turn-around. The .gov workers will hate it, but they hate the existing mess anyway. That's what people do (hate their job).
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do we fix this mess?
Simple, build a time machine and go back to 1933.
The National Firearms Act of 1934 was initially written in a way which would have banned all items we now must register and transfer via ATF. It also, initially, would have banned all handguns (which is why SBRs and SBS's are under NFA).
When the then-attorney-general told Congress that, under the Second Amendment, they had no authority to ban any firearms, they decided to make it as expensive and time-consuming as possible, to discourage firearms ownership.
As recently as the 1980's, ATF testified before Congress that NFA transfers took an average of six months to complete. Congress agreed that that was an appropriate turnaround time.
Do you believe that Congress, today, is more firearms-friendly than the Congress of the 1980's?
Bottom line: The National Firearms Act is working as Congress intended, and today wants it to.
If you want to improve NFA turnaround times, elect a more pro-gun Congress.
View Quote

In Red: Basically they have been told that 6 months is what it should take to approve a form.  There is no reward to approve them any faster, so they take 6 months.  No different then any one at McDonalds or Wal Mart.  They are told that they have to meet a certain productivity.  If they meet it then they keep their job if not they dont.  No reward for doing more, or doing it faster...

MAHA
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:29:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I called the ATF this morning and was told that it would be 90 days till I hopefully get my form back. this will put me at 10 months from start to finish IF they are right on the 90 days left. So I decided I would write them. I know probably nothing will come of it but I strongly encourage you all to Politely write them and express your disappointments and concerns with the wait times. Just remember, your paying the government for this service. here is what I sent in this morning:

Dear ATF,
   First off as a fellow LEO officer I want to start by saying every time I have an opportunity to work with you guys its always been a pleasure. The reason for the contact this morning is to discuss the wait times on NFA items. Many of us know that when we willingly send our $200 tax stamp there is going to be a wait time. I understand that with the political discussions over the last few months have overwhelmed your systems, but being told this morning that I wont receive my form back for another 90 days does not put a smile on my face. After the 90 days wait time, it will be one month short of a year since I sent in my forms. Many across the country who ordered items after the Sandy Hook event will have a much longer wait than myself.
   There should be no reason why a person who applies for any type of government assistance receives that assistance in a matter of days or weeks, while people who pay to receive an item they purchased should be forced to wait six months to a year to get it. Something has to be done to fix this issue. We as tax payers should not have to be denied use of the items we purchased due to excessive wait times.
   This email is not sent in anger but to inform you what myself and others are going through. It’s very disappointing to say the least to see how legal, tax paying citizens are being treated. Myself as well as others would love to hear from the ATF on how this issue is hopefully being addressed and the steps that are being taken to fix those issues.

Respectfully sent,
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:17:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I called the ATF this morning and was told that it would be 90 days till I hopefully get my form back. this will put me at 10 months from start to finish IF they are right on the 90 days left. So I decided I would write them. I know probably nothing will come of it but I strongly encourage you all to Politely write them and express your disappointments and concerns with the wait times. Just remember, your paying the government for this service. here is what I sent in this morning:

Dear ATF,
   First off as a fellow LEO officer I want to start by saying every time I have an opportunity to work with you guys its always been a pleasure. The reason for the contact this morning is to discuss the wait times on NFA items. Many of us know that when we willingly send our $200 tax stamp there is going to be a wait time. I understand that with the political discussions over the last few months have overwhelmed your systems, but being told this morning that I wont receive my form back for another 90 days does not put a smile on my face. After the 90 days wait time, it will be one month short of a year since I sent in my forms. Many across the country who ordered items after the Sandy Hook event will have a much longer wait than myself.
   There should be no reason why a person who applies for any type of government assistance receives that assistance in a matter of days or weeks, while people who pay to receive an item they purchased should be forced to wait six months to a year to get it. Something has to be done to fix this issue. We as tax payers should not have to be denied use of the items we purchased due to excessive wait times.
   This email is not sent in anger but to inform you what myself and others are going through. It’s very disappointing to say the least to see how legal, tax paying citizens are being treated. Myself as well as others would love to hear from the ATF on how this issue is hopefully being addressed and the steps that are being taken to fix those issues.

Respectfully sent,
View Quote

Not trying to be a jerk here, but that e-mail will respectfully be deleted and quickly forgotten about.

Your contacting someone who can't do anything to approve the situation.

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You can hold a security clearance and not pass a gun background check. The two are not identical.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't think of something you can have on your record that would preclude you from purchasing a firearm, and not DQ you from a TS clearance (secret, sure.... I can see that slipping by)

Automation would fix this - as would something like a car's "temp tag" to be printed and given by the FFL..... it's the same check anyway, you pay the 200 bucks by debit card and the FFL gives you a "temp-stamp" good for X number of days/months until your real stamp comes in

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not trying to be a jerk here, but that e-mail will respectfully be deleted and quickly forgotten about.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dear ATF,

Respectfully sent,

oh I know it will probably be deleted but im holding on to hope that maybe IF they get enough letters they might get a clue.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Video

About 1:35 the tour starts of the NFA branch. At 1:49 you can see the boxes of forms. Yours is in that pile of blatant infringement; as are 4 of mine.

Join the American Silencer Association, they go to DC multiple times for these reasons.

Yes, trusts should be immediate validation, mine hasn't changed in 3 years other than removing my whore ex-wife. Technology exists such that we could be instantly validated both individually and a trust. This would allow for faster ownership of "evil" firearms so the .gov wont allow it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top