Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Top NFA Myths (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice thread, I thought you needed a class 3 to even own a MG.  Oh well, hope my form 4 clears soon for my silencer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#2]
i know there is a one time fee to own a suppressor, but i heard that there is a annualy fee for a mg
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By rmbstyle17:
i know there is a one time fee to own a suppressor, but i heard that there is a annualy fee for a mg

Just the one time fee for the mg as well....there are no reoccurring fees in the NFA world outside of fees that FFLs have to pay. If you aren't in the business of selling or manufacturing NFA items then you won't have to worry about any yearly fees except for ammo costs and insurance.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Maryland, IIRC, requires annual state registration of MGs, and I thought there's a $10 fee attached. Could be mistaken.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I spent an "educational" day at my range where I was TOLD the following:

Having that silencer lets the ATF come in your house any time

That silencer requires a $250 annual fee every year

You should have gotten ______________ silencer ME-"You can buy what ever one you want"  Oh No I don't want to be a criminal

I tried explaining, finally I just nodded and smiled
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Pinkerton:

Actually, I'd love for someone in the know to please expound on this.

I would love to have an SBR or three, and when my state finally allows silencers (a process that is moving forward, albeit slowly, as we speak) I'd like to get one or two of those.

However, I can't help but feel a little leery of having the Fed maintaining a registry of these, namely because I fear what they would possibly do with the information in the future.

Knowing full well that I'm on the grid just from having purchased regular firearms from retailers, I'm genuinely curious as to whether any of my concerns are really an issue at all.

Buy and register with confidence, or hide my cats (I don't have dogs)?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#10]
You forgot the one which states, "All you have to do to convert a semi-auto AK to full-auto is put the hammer in backwards!"
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#11]
How about the myth that if you SBR an existing firearm you have to engrave your info on it?

From the new Form 1

i. Serial Numbers and other Markings. If an existing firearm is being modified into an NFA firearm, enter the existing serial number of the firearm into item 4g and the name and address of the original manufacturer into item 4a. Do not Alter or Modify the Existing Serial Number . If the NFA firearm is being made from parts, your name and address are to be entered into 4a and a serial number you create is to be entered into item 4g.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tony_k:
Originally Posted By akethan:
How about the myth that if you SBR an existing firearm you have to engrave your info on it?

From the new Form 1

i. Serial Numbers and other Markings. If an existing firearm is being modified into an NFA firearm, enter the existing serial number of the firearm into item 4g and the name and address of the original manufacturer into item 4a. Do not Alter or Modify the Existing Serial Number . If the NFA firearm is being made from parts, your name and address are to be entered into 4a and a serial number you create is to be entered into item 4g.

Wrong.

In fact, you just perpetuated another myth.

That section tells you how to fill out the form. It does not refer to engraving, and the engraving requirement remains law.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/trustengravingnotice.jpg

Even if you have no plans to sell it?

7.2.1 “Manufacturer”. As defined by the GCA, a “manufacturer” is any person engaged in the
business of manufacturing firearms or ammunition for purposes of sale or distribution.109 Similarly,
NFA defines the term to mean any person “who is engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms”,
that is, firearms subject to the NFA.110 To determine who is a “manufacturer” of firearms, we must look
to see whether the person manufactures firearms as discussed in Section 7.2.2.
7.2.2 “Manufacturing”. “Manufacturing” is not defined by the law, regulations, or any formal ATF
ruling. Nevertheless, the term has been interpreted by ATF to cover activities other than producing a
firearm from scratch. As interpreted by ATF, the term covers virtually any work performed on a firearm
during the process of preparing the firearm for subsequent sale. For example, a person having a contract
with a manufacturer to apply finishing or other work on firearms, or firearms frames or receivers, to
prepare them for subsequent sale by the manufacturer would be a “manufacturer” required to qualify as
such. Of course, if the person produced firearms parts other than frames or receivers for the
manufacturer or performed work on firearms parts not defined as “firearms,” the person would not be a
“manufacturer.”
106 27
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 4:39:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CAR-AR-M16] [#14]

From the new Form 1

Wrong.

That section tells you how to fill out the form. It does not refer to engraving, and the engraving requirement remains law.

Even if you have no plans to sell it?

7.2.1 “Manufacturer”. As defined by the GCA, a “manufacturer” is any person engaged in the
business of manufacturing firearms or ammunition for purposes of sale or distribution.109 Similarly,
NFA defines the term to mean any person “who is engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms”,
that is, firearms subject to the NFA.110 To determine who is a “manufacturer” of firearms, we must look
to see whether the person manufactures firearms as discussed in Section 7.2.2.
7.2.2 “Manufacturing”. “Manufacturing” is not defined by the law, regulations, or any formal ATF
ruling. Nevertheless, the term has been interpreted by ATF to cover activities other than producing a
firearm from scratch. As interpreted by ATF, the term covers virtually any work performed on a firearm
during the process of preparing the firearm for subsequent sale. For example, a person having a contract
with a manufacturer to apply finishing or other work on firearms, or firearms frames or receivers, to
prepare them for subsequent sale by the manufacturer would be a “manufacturer” required to qualify as
such. Of course, if the person produced firearms parts other than frames or receivers for the
manufacturer or performed work on firearms parts not defined as “firearms,” the person would not be a
“manufacturer.”
106 27

You are not a manufacturer, but you are a maker when you file a Form 1 and the makers info needs to be on there. See below.

Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?

(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:
(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and

(v) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the importer maintain your place of business. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 4:44:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tony_k] [#16]
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 9:40:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sawgunner73] [#18]
Beat me by four minutes!

BTW, in the above statute, the "firearm" the law is referring to is a Title 2, or NFA, firearm; it does not apply to Title 1 (non-NFA) firearms.

The actual statute is section 5842(a) under Title 26 USC Chapter 53, The National Firearms Act which states that anyone making a firearm (NFA) would need to
mark the firearm. The regs in 479.102 just spell out how to mark it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 12:57:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zaphod] [#19]
Originally Posted By Zaphod:
Originally Posted By Pinkerton:

Actually, I'd love for someone in the know to please expound on this.

I would love to have an SBR or three, and when my state finally allows silencers (a process that is moving forward, albeit slowly, as we speak) I'd like to get one or two of those.

However, I can't help but feel a little leery of having the Fed maintaining a registry of these, namely because I fear what they would possibly do with the information in the future.

Knowing full well that I'm on the grid just from having purchased regular firearms from retailers, I'm genuinely curious as to whether any of my concerns are really an issue at all.

Buy and register with confidence, or hide my cats (I don't have dogs)?

Thanks.

IMHO, you stand a much, much better chance of getting a knock on the door because you post on internet gun sites than you do by owning registered NFA items.

As a moderator, I know for a fact that ATF regularly surfs these sites. The NFA Registry, on the other hand, is simply a list of hundreds of thousands of law-abiding gun owners who have been cleared by ATF to own NFA items. The Registry is the last place LE will look for folks worth investigating; the internet, OTOH, is the first place they look.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Just curious, but I'm wondering if your attitude has changed any with the recent change in the environment.

Honest question...

I just finished reading "Tipping Point", so I'm a little right now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#21]
But let's say that some sort of confiscation law is passed, some day in the future. Do you really think that .gov and LE will say, "Hey, let's go after the guys with machine guns first!"? Nope, they will go after the relatively low-hanging fruit initially.

I think the low-hanging fruit would be, "Hey! We got this list of people we know have them! Lets go get them, first!"

Yeah. I've become paranoid...
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I think the low-hanging fruit would be, "Hey! We got this list of people we know have them! Lets go get them, first!"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
But let's say that some sort of confiscation law is passed, some day in the future. Do you really think that .gov and LE will say, "Hey, let's go after the guys with machine guns first!"? Nope, they will go after the relatively low-hanging fruit initially.

Thats the truth! In states like mine where where we can do private sales there is no telling who has what.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#23]
If you are 20 in some of the states but already 21 on the other states... hmmm
Then again, how can you be two ages?
I'm so confused...
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:55:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Myth: I'm just going to get this one suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#26]
My favorite..
"If you own an NFA item the ATF can come into your house whenever they want"
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:03:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By DavidC:
As long as you are maintaining control (which means you don’t leave the NFA items in the sole care of someone other than yourself) your friends and family are welcome to use them, as long as you are physically present.
View Quote

Not true anymore, depending on state law. In Washington if I go out in shoot in BFE off a forest road with my neighbor, and I hand him my new 38 snubbie to shoot, he does a cylinder dump and hands it back...boom felony "transfer". First exchange would be a misdemeanor, second (handing it back!) earns a trip to the big house. Almost everything is technically a transfer under WA law, and exceptions are quite limited. If you don't fit in those, doesn't matter if it's  a single shot 22 short or an M16 with a m203 attached.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:42:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:

Not true anymore, depending on state law. In Washington if I go out in shoot in BFE off a forest road with my neighbor, and I hand him my new 38 snubbie to shoot, he does a cylinder dump and hands it back...boom felony "transfer". First exchange would be a misdemeanor, second (handing it back!) earns a trip to the big house. Almost everything is technically a transfer under WA law, and exceptions are quite limited. If you don't fit in those, doesn't matter if it's  a single shot 22 short or an M16 with a m203 attached.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DavidC:
As long as you are maintaining control (which means you don’t leave the NFA items in the sole care of someone other than yourself) your friends and family are welcome to use them, as long as you are physically present.

Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I always hear, "If you move within the same state, you don't need to notify the ATF of your address change."

Is there any truth to this?  Or do I need to fill something out?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Not true anymore, depending on state law. In Washington if I go out in shoot in BFE off a forest road with my neighbor, and I hand him my new 38 snubbie to shoot, he does a cylinder dump and hands it back...boom felony "transfer". First exchange would be a misdemeanor, second (handing it back!) earns a trip to the big house. Almost everything is technically a transfer under WA law, and exceptions are quite limited. If you don't fit in those, doesn't matter if it's  a single shot 22 short or an M16 with a m203 attached.Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

And how often do you see this law being enforced anywhere people go shoot?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Is the Form to do that the 5320.20?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:30:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DT-USA:
Is the Form to do that the 5320.20?
View Quote

YES.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#34]
That was a very good and thorough list. I wish more people knew these facts because most people act like class 3 weapons or more correctly known as title to weapons are some type of kryptonite and cannot be touched or even looked at. Excellent list there should be more people who know this information and it would also help in making gun laws less restrictive and hopefully one day in one of our lifetimes get the Hughes amendment repealed. Most people don't know this but the Hughes amendment was a Voice vote and was not a actual vote where they voted on paper or electronically it was a yay or nay and whoever was louder won the vote. The Hughes amendment was railroaded down our throats and the person in charge was the black guy from New York who has had several tax problems and still doesn't pay his taxes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:48:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Oldgold] [#35]
Originally Posted By TSLtrek:
Thought this link I found through subguns might be helpful...

NFA FAQ
View Quote
Linky not worky!
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Wrong.

View Quote
Correct. You have to put YOUR name and location as the manufacturer of the NFA item. You didn’t make the firearm but you did make it NFA. Engraving is cheap and easy.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top NFA Myths (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top