Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, your link at the bottom of your 1st post to the Forms Page is no longer valid.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Filed E-Form for SBR ----> Approved in 39 days!

There was confusion of who the manufacturer was - I'm using an 80% flat to make the receiver. The examiner E-mailed me to ask the manufacturer. I explained in my reply. I was asked to write a short letter explaining I was going to be the manufacturer and was using an 80% or "unfinished" receiver so the letter could be attached to my application. I wrote the letter and E-mailed a copy to the examiner. Less than 5 minutes later my form was approved!  

What an awesome examiner!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:11:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Catbert:
Filed E-Form for SBR ----> Approved in 39 days!

There was confusion of who the manufacturer was - I'm using an 80% flat to make the receiver. The examiner E-mailed me to ask the manufacturer. I explained in my reply. I was asked to write a short letter explaining I was going to be the manufacturer and was using an 80% or "unfinished" receiver so the letter could be attached to my application. I wrote the letter and E-mailed a copy to the examiner. Less than 5 minutes later my form was approved!  

What an awesome examiner!!!
View Quote

Examiner name?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By brich2929:

Examiner name?
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Applied 11/05
Approved 12/17
First Form 1 Suppressor
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Applied for Form 1 Efile 12/2
Approved today 1/5
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
How do I fill out the 5330.20 form???

Can I certify myself???
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Furyataurus:
How do I fill out the 5330.20 form???

Can I certify myself???
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey guys, a lot of useful info here...thanks! I have a few questions and hopefully some of you can help me out.  I am currently an FFL dealer and have just recently acquired my NFA Dealer tax stamp.  I am however a little confused how it all works, the ATF doesn't provide a whole lot of instructions.  

I have an AR-15 pistol and plan on putting a stock on it.  Obviously making it an SBR.  My question is, as an NFA dealer, do I still fill out the form 1 as anyone else would? For question 5 and 6, I'll put my FFL number, tax id and class 3.  And still make my $200 payment?

I have been dealing in firearms for a few years now, mainly transfers and a few sales...just decided this year to get my NFA.  Been reading a lot about it, just haven't been able to get all the answers I need to comfortably conduct business.  

One more question, being that I'm a dealer, is the 5330.20 required? Just confused as for I'm a dealer, but still have to provide certification of compliance?? Thanks for any help and direction you guys can point me in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By baz0157:
Hey guys, a lot of useful info here...thanks! I have a few questions and hopefully some of you can help me out.  I am currently an FFL dealer and have just recently acquired my NFA Dealer tax stamp.  I am however a little confused how it all works, the ATF doesn't provide a whole lot of instructions.  

I have an AR-15 pistol and plan on putting a stock on it.  Obviously making it an SBR.  My question is, as an NFA dealer, do I still fill out the form 1 as anyone else would? For question 5 and 6, I'll put my FFL number, tax id and class 3.  And still make my $200 payment?

I have been dealing in firearms for a few years now, mainly transfers and a few sales...just decided this year to get my NFA.  Been reading a lot about it, just haven't been able to get all the answers I need to comfortably conduct business.  

One more question, being that I'm a dealer, is the 5330.20 required? Just confused as for I'm a dealer, but still have to provide certification of compliance?? Thanks for any help and direction you guys can point me in.
View Quote

What type of FFL/SOT do you have?  If you have an 01/03 then you're just like any other individual when it comes to making NFA items.  That is, you're a maker, not a manufacturer and you still have to file Form 1s and pay the tax to do so.  You get the bonus of being able to transfer them from other dealers for free via a Form 3, that's pretty much it.  If you're an 07/02 then you can make any NFA item except DDs and notify the ATF that you made it via a Form 2.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!! That is what I thought...I think lately I have just confused myself with all the reading I've been doing and trying to find out all the rules and what is needed for sales of NFA weapons and suppressors and how to make my own personal collection stuff NFA.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:04:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rusqtsi] [#12]
New to SBR and NFA items.  Been reading everywhere..  In the process of creating a NFA Trust but have a few questions.

1- Naming the trust ( I am not fond for using any or part of my name )
2- Does the full name of the trust need to be engraved onto a suppressor I made?
3- If i take an existing AR15 (non nfa) and place a short barrel 7.5 etc.. thus creating a NFA item, do i need to now engrave the trust name on the receiver?
4- if i purchase a complete receiver  then place a short barrel  thus creating a NFA item do i need to also engrave the trust name on the receiver ?

I am well aware of paying the tax stamp and waiting before i do any of the above.  I have the trust already created just cant agree on a name because of the above questions.

I know that sometimes life happens and I may have to sell an NFA item to another person who could have such item but what i dont want is to be hampered by what is engraved on the items.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Name it whatever you want, knowing that the full name has to be engraved on every Form 1 item you create, regardless of the type.

A Form 1 suppressor would need trust name, city & state where firearm was made, caliber and serial number engraved...plus model name if designated.

A Form 1 SBR from an existing lower or complete AR would need trust name, city & state where firearm was made, and would also need caliber if it was marked "multi" and the barrel isn't conspicuously marked.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:42:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By rusqtsi:
New to SBR and NFA items.  Been reading everywhere..  In the process of creating a NFA Trust but have a few questions.

1- Naming the trust ( I am not fond for using any or part of my name )
2- Does the full name of the trust need to be engraved onto a suppressor I made?
2- If i take an existing AR15 (non nfa) and place a short barrel 7.5 etc.. thus creating a NFA item, do i need to now engrave the trust name on the receiver?
3- if i purchase a complete receiver  then place a short barrel  thus creating a NFA item do i need to also engrave the trust name on the receiver ?

I am well aware of paying the tax stamp and waiting before i do any of the above.  I have the trust already created just cant agree on a name because of the above questions.

I know that sometimes life happens and I may have to sell an NFA item to another person who could have such item but what i dont want is to be hampered by what is engraved on the items.

Thanks for your help.
View Quote

1. Not sure, looking for this answer myself

2. Yes

3.  You need to file a new form 1, and yes.

4. Same as above
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:06:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rusqtsi] [#15]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:
Name it whatever you want, knowing that the full name has to be engraved on every Form 1 item you create, regardless of the type.

A Form 1 suppressor would need trust name, city & state where firearm was made, caliber and serial number engraved...plus model name if designated.

A Form 1 SBR from an existing lower or complete AR would need trust name, city & state where firearm was made, and would also need caliber if it was marked "multi" and the barrel isn't conspicuously marked.
View Quote

Let me make sure i understand this correctly..

If i take a new lower that comes with all the manufacturer markings and advertising and turn that into a NFA SBR I will have to add my trust name , city state etc on top of that..  thats a busy lower.. i might as well find a lower with no markings and start from scratch

Does the barrel need to be marked too with trust name?  i thought the receiver is the only thing that matter
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#16]
ATF Ruling 2013-3

That's one of the clearest rulings the ATF has released, and goes right in line with the regulations themselves.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#17]
ATF Ruling 2013-3

That's one of the clearest rulings the ATF has released, and goes right in line with the regulations themselves.
View Quote

Thanks for the link..

If the caliber or gauge was not identified or designated (e.g., marked “multi”) on the firearm, the manufacturer, importer, or maker must
legibly and conspicuously mark the frame, receiver, barrel, or pistol slide(if applicable)with the actual caliber/gauge once the caliber or gauge is known.

it says IF so doesnt look like i have to mark the barrel
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:21:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#18]

Thanks for the link..
If the caliber or gauge was not identified or designated (e.g., marked “multi”) on the firearm, the manufacturer, importer, or maker must
legibly and conspicuously mark the frame, receiver, barrel, or pistol slide(if applicable)with the actual caliber/gauge once the caliber or gauge is known.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
ATF Ruling 2013-3

Thanks for the link..

Correct. Name and location of the maker must be added. Caliber is only added if it doesn't already exist.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#19]
do you know of any lowers that dont have all fancy company logos? i got a few lowers but adding a trust name with city state would be almost impossible.    

I guess a multi marked lower is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#20]
PSA sells "stealth" lowers. Some other companies may have offerings as well. You could also go the 80% route, in which case your info will be the only info engraved.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone from Louisiana filed a Form 1 with an NFA trust to build a suppressor?

I was told Louisiana had different loopholes to jump through, but I'm not finding much info.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#22]
It seems the fillable Form 1 in the OP is outdated compared to the standard Form 1 that can be download here
http://www.atf.gov/content/library/firearms-forms
correct??
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By BMCBreeder:

I was told Louisiana had different loopholes to jump through, but I'm not finding much info.
View Quote
I believe LA did away with its state's irregularities in 2013, and now it follows federal laws...

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By AlabamaPaul:

I believe LA did away with its state's irregularities in 2013, and now it follows federal laws...  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlabamaPaul:

Originally Posted By BMCBreeder:

Thank you.  I just had my trust created, about to get started on Form 1.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I just went through this and one question still exists. If Im filing as an individual should I print my name in line 8? My instinct is no but I dont want to make a stupid mistake.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By bripro:
I just went through this and one question still exists. If Im filing as an individual should I print my name in line 8? My instinct is no but I dont want to make a stupid mistake.
View Quote

Why wouldn't you?

You sign box 7 and write your name in box 8. The "if applicable" is for the title portion.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Why wouldnt you?
View All Quotes

Why wouldnt you?

"Name and title of authorized official of firm or corporation" can be taken a few ways as I see it. They certainly wouldnt ask for my name and someone elses title. Perhaps this is for filing as a trust and not an individual. The internet shows results for both listing your name and leaving it blank. As always Im seeking first hand knowledge. If you have been approved on paper form 1 please let me know what you did in regards to line 8. Thanks in advance, Brian
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I just opened my safe and pulled out my SBR paper form 1 filed as an Individual.

ATF approval on December 12th, 2014 by Diane R. Wood.  Box 8 was left blank.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you. Very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:36:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MiamiE] [#30]
I went to delete a draft that was on my left hand side bar and now my submitted tab is empty. Where did my original submission go? I deleted a draft and not a submission.

It says no saved forms and I am a little worried I deleted the app. ****!
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:54:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#31]
Originally Posted By MiamiE:
I went to delete a draft that was on my left hand side bar and now my submitted tab is empty. Where did my original submission go? I deleted a draft and not a submission.

It says no saved forms and I am a little worried I deleted the app. ****!
View Quote

Was it a draft copy of a submitted form? If so, they're both gone, ar least for what you can see.

It didn't delete what they can see, and the Approved/Disapproved form should show back up in Eforms when it's handled.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 5:14:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MiamiE] [#32]
Ok so basically it doesnt delete the Form 1. Just deletes my view of the submission. I can live with that I suppose. Thanks for the heads up!!

Yes it was a copy of it. Did not understand why there was a draft copy. I should have just left it as is!
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:14:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#33]
Originally Posted By MiamiE:
Ok so basically it doesnt delete the Form 1. Just deletes my view of the submission. I can live with that I suppose. Thanks for the heads up!!

Yes it was a copy of it. Did not understand why there was a draft copy. I should have just left it as is!
View Quote

It's happened to me multiple times. Each time it was because I went back and uploaded an additional attachment after submission. But, there are probably other causes as well.

Mine (Draft copies) are still sitting there almost a year after approval.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#34]
That is exactly what I did. After my initial submission I uploaded a PDF trust document, and a picture of the lower for reference. I guess this created the draft. Oh well lesson learned. At least my $200 arent gone...
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 3:07:19 AM EDT
[#35]
rgr, thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:35:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By TSLtrek:
It seems the fillable Form 1 in the OP is outdated compared to the standard Form 1 that can be download here
correct??
View Quote

I think you're right. Can anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:44:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#37]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#38]

Looks to be the same to me. Both say June 2014, and are the newest version with the CoC included along with the ability to pay by CC.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mdavis:
Originally Posted By TSLtrek:
correct??

I think you're right. Can anyone confirm?

Looks to be the same to me. Both say June 2014, and are the newest version with the CoC included along with the ability to pay by CC.

The last time I submitted a Form 1 was Feb. 2015 with the 10/31/2013 date in the upper right corner of page 1. The form on there now is new (to me).  Luckily, I think I can take the new PDF and add my info to it electronically.  Here is a link to a note from the ATF on the updated Form 1.

So to confirm, I no longer have to submit a separate CoC with the completed Form 1s?  Everything is handled via the form itself?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#40]

That's the idea behind including it in the form.
View All Quotes
So to confirm, I no longer have to submit a separate CoC with the completed Form 1s?  Everything is handled via the form itself?  Thanks.

And if I pay via check, do I just mark the checkbox for "Check" and leave the rest of Sec. 17 blank? I was thinking I might go ahead and fill in my name where it says who I am paying the making tax for and put that the amount is $200.00. Is that correct or are those two boxes for CC's where the name on the CC doesn't match the applicant's name? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#41]

And if I pay via check, do I just mark the checkbox for "Check" and leave the rest of Sec. 17 blank? I was thinking I might go ahead and fill in my name where it says who I am paying the making tax for and put that the amount is $200.00. Is that correct or are those two boxes for CC's where the name on the CC doesn't match the applicant's name? Thanks.
View All Quotes

Just select the check box...

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#42]
I submitted an e-form 1 for an SBR on April 21, 2015 and I have not heard a thing. I can see it in the "SUBMITTED/IN PROCESS" folder in my HOME page on the website and it has a "Submitted Date" of 04/21/2015 but nothing seems to have happened since that day except for my CC being charged the $200 tax.

So it has now been officially over 100 days. Is that too long? Should I try and contact somebody? If so, who and how?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#44]

All sounds normal. People are still waiting on forms submitted earlier in April than yours.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Makarov:
I submitted an e-form 1 for an SBR on April 21, 2015 and I have not heard a thing. I can see it in the "SUBMITTED/IN PROCESS" folder in my HOME page on the website and it has a "Submitted Date" of 04/21/2015 but nothing seems to have happened since that day except for my CC being charged the $200 tax.

So it has now been officially over 100 days. Is that too long? Should I try and contact somebody? If so, who and how?

Thanks for any suggestions.

All sounds normal. People are still waiting on forms submitted earlier in April than yours.

OK, thanks for the response. Somewhere I had the idea that e-forms were averaging a little more than a month but doing more Googling seems to indicate that wait times are all over the place.

Back to the virtual waiting room
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:49:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#45]
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#46]
when submitting my form 1 do I send 1 or 2 copies of my trust ? I have read this somewhere before but can't find it now......

thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By flattopkelly:
when submitting my form 1 do I send 1 or 2 copies of my trust ? I have read this somewhere before but can't find it now......

thanks
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#48]
thank you very much - headed to the mailbox now then begin the LONG wait
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#49]

"Name and title of authorized official of firm or corporation" can be taken a few ways as I see it. They certainly wouldnt ask for my name and someone elses title. Perhaps this is for filing as a trust and not an individual. The internet shows results for both listing your name and leaving it blank. As always Im seeking first hand knowledge. If you have been approved on paper form 1 please let me know what you did in regards to line 8. Thanks in advance, Brian
View All Quotes

Why wouldnt you?

I have a few approved using: My name, Title, XXXX LLC
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:29:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tripntx] [#50]
I looked and didn't see my questions being asked and answered in regards to using new paper FORM 1 while filling as a TRUST.

Old Form 1, two pages require information. I know how to fill out the old two page FORM 1 (several previously approved).

NEW Form 1 has six pages requiring information, dated June 2014:
Page 1 appears to be the same as old Form.
Page 2 is laid out different, but appears to contain the same data.
Page 3 is the new section everybody is talking about allowing payment by credit card.
Page 4 is new, appears to be the same as Pg 1.
Page 5 is new, appears to be the same as Pg 2.
Page 6 is new, appears to be the same as Pg 3.

Alright, seems I answered my own questions by writing out what the new pages are above. They didn't look right because I printed all pages double sided, which really messed up how they looked. ATF simply repeated pages 1-3 as pages 4-6.

Print pages 1&2 and pages 4&5 as double sided, while printing page 3 and 6 as single sided.  (what the heck, simply select two copies and print pages 1-3 double sided)  

BTW, I'm sure someone will recommend E Form, but I prefer having an actual stamp returned on an approved Form 1.

Are the question under "Maker's Certification" answered when using a TRUST?  I always answered them on OLD Form 1, but it appears to be just for Individuals on the NEW Form 1.
Does Page 2 require a "Signature of Maker" when using a TRUST?  
If Page 2 doesn't require any information when using a TRUST, is it deleted and the TRUST simply files two copies of Page 1 & Page 3 printed double sided?

Thanks for the help,
Tripntx
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top