Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2017 3:23:30 PM EDT
New to me gun got a lot of YouTube videos to watch know the basics I think.

My first black powder pistol.

Attachment Attached File

Any tip welcome I'll be reading through this forum :)
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#1]
That is one sweet wheel gun.
Im jealous
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks

Looking forward to firing it.

I already think I'm a cowboy. I know it's a more modern design but still
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
You picked a great one. Like just about everything else Ruger makes they are overbuilt and hell for stout! Pretty accurate too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Important.  It uses a 457 ball.  Most '44s' use 451 or 454.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Important.  It uses a 457 ball.  Most '44s' use 451 or 454.
View Quote
Thanks. Yes I've read that it's wha I'll order.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
That is a great black powder pistol!

I have a couple of Pietta 1858's that are a lot of fun to shoot. I also have a .45 Colt conversion cylinder for them that allows me to shoot the .45 "Cowboy" loads.....
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#7]
There are conversion cylinders for the Ruger as well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Ya done good pilgrim. Can't go no better.

.457 round ball is your friend.

Do not, I repeat, do not put stag grips or anything on it. Or buy carved leather holsters. You'll hate yourself.

Also do not Google Tower of Power loading stand either.

Welcome to the Dark Side. Your path to becoming a Soot Lord is clear.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ya done good pilgrim. Can't go no better.

.457 round ball is your friend.

Do not, I repeat, do not put stag grips or anything on it. Or buy carved leather holsters. You'll hate yourself.

Also do not Google Tower of Power loading stand either.

Welcome to the Dark Side. Your path to becoming a Soot Lord is clear.
View Quote
The ToP loading stand is awesome!

Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]
whalecum to the club!

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice :)

That loading jig looks handy,

Will see if I can get one over here, will speed things up a bit.

Yeah I'm gonna have to get some leather
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just side note BP life hack, a 357mag casing is almost exactly 30grains of 3f powder. 

30 grains is the service load for all non horse pistol (think colt dragoon) percussion revolvers in 44.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting

Good tip thanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice gun OP.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Out of curiosity OP 

1) are you actually in Britain?

2)what are your laws reguarding muzzle loading weapons (Ex. Federal law does not recognize non cartridge weapons as regulated firearms, and are therefore completely unrestricted at the federal level. States vary in regulation). 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
They have been re-designed a bit since I got mine. Now they are made out of stainless steel.

Tower of power loading stand
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity OP 

1) are you actually in Britain?

2)what are your laws reguarding muzzle loading weapons (Ex. Federal law does not recognize non cartridge weapons as regulated firearms, and are therefore completely unrestricted at the federal level. States vary in regulation). 
View Quote
Yes I am I Britain.

All firearms  need a license which you need a reason to own to get said license. I'm a member of a range so that's reason enough.

As for black powder if you have a licence you can get anything you like. But you have to add each firearm to the license

For center fire revolvers  you have to have an extremely long barrel and an extension on the grip :(  

I want a cannon next
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes I am I Britain.

All firearms  need a license which you need a reason to own to get said license. I'm a member of a range so that's reason enough.

As for black powder if you have a licence you can get anything you like. But you have to add each firearm to the license

For center fire revolvers  you have to have an extremely long barrel and an extension on the grip :(  

I want a cannon next
View Quote
........ I'm so sorry for your country....
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#19]
First time out yesterday. surprisingly accurate.

Shot 6-8 inches high at  25 meters though rear sight as low as I could get it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
First time out yesterday. surprisingly accurate.

Shot 6-8 inches high at  25 meters though rear sight as low as I could get it.
View Quote
thats not unheard of. the "combat zero" for most percussion revolvers of that era (US Civil War, which your weapons is an improved version of) were 30-50yrds.

you can replace the rear blade or file the rear blade down. Considering you have and adjustable rear sight and its already as low as it can go, take a metal file, a level, and a marker and slowly work that rear sight down until the poi at your lowest adjustment setting is a tad lower than your POA, and then re-zero with the adjustable sights screws... 

also, check your zero at 7-10 yrds. you might find POI surprisingly close to POA.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks will look at getting the blade out seems an easy fix as long as it's easy to get out. Can't find anybody over here that has replacement blades. Do you have a link by any chance?

Previous owner had wound it all the way up so it took a while to get it on paper. As it was a new toy everybody had a go. Can't be sure because so many were shooting at same target but the groups I think I fired were pretty good too good to belive to be honest compared to other black powder revolver I've shot.

Enjoyed it. I've only got Pyrodex at the moment will be buying some black powder.

Oh and any reason why I can't put the cylinder in the dish washer
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks will look at getting the blade out seems an easy fix as long as it's easy to get out. Can't find anybody over here that has replacement blades. Do you have a link by any chance?

Previous owner had wound it all the way up so it took a while to get it on paper. As it was a new toy everybody had a go. Can't be sure because so many were shooting at same target but the groups I think I fired were pretty good too good to belive to be honest compared to other black powder revolver I've shot.

Enjoyed it. I've only got Pyrodex at the moment will be buying some black powder.

Oh and any reason why I can't put the cylinder in the dish washer
View Quote
lol @ the dishwasher comment. never thought of that.

personally i love this stuff The cleaner is water based and cuts the BP like a knife. If you want to go more traditional use a hot ballistol/water mix (i forget the ratio).

Also, since this is your first clean. break the gun down to the screws and clean EVERYTHING. dry as best as you can then dunk all of the parts in virgin or exta virgin olive oil, place all of the parts in a pan, then put them into the oven at 180deg, F for 30-40 min. Basically this will have the same affect as seasoning a cast iron skillet. when the time is up, remove the parts and let them cool, clean off the excess olive oil and re lubricate with regular gun oil (Ballistol is good, personally i use either Rem oil, or the MPRO7 oil). 

if you do this every 50 -100 rounds fired, your gun will become increasingly seasoned and the metal will start rejecting the BP residue and thus make it easier and easier to clean. 

sadly i don't have a link to replacement blades. Mine is a pietta 1858 repro with fixed sights. But there are so many revolvers out there that use that type of adjustable rear sight that there have to be some out there, if you cant find anything under your gun, look into Rugers Blackhawk revolver lines. mine has the same rear sight as your old army. 
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks I think I've found a replacement blade. It's the same but cheap and I can file I down without worrying

That mpro 7 must be good it's more expensive than gold plated platinum over here I'll have to stick with balistol
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks I think I've found a replacement blade. It's the same but cheap and I can file I down without worrying

That mpro 7 must be good it's more expensive than gold plated platinum over here I'll have to stick with balistol
View Quote
The Mpro series was designed for "military style" semi auto platforms. The cleaner makes cleaning the BCG on my AR a wipe job, and I haven't lubed the BCG in almost 1000rounds, no malfs. IIRC, it's gone toe to toe with frog lube and beat it in a study. I use it on my BP gun because I use it on quite frankly every gun I own. The cleaner does not have the smell of a traditional solvent, which is nice with an infant in the house. And it makes cleaning a breeze. The lube I started using on my AR, and just kinda started using it on other stuff. For you ballistol will work fine.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#25]
For what it's worth, I shoot my Old Army with .454s pretty frequently. Plenty accurate with modest powder charges, and my '58 NMA uses the same ball. For serious hunting loads, I go back to the .457.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Thought you guys might be interested in this.

I've got a little press as suggested and I've fitted a quick cylinder release also replaced the nipples with ones that accept shotgun primers.

Now all I need is a few more cylinders

Attachment Attached File

This part is spring loaded, pull forward and turn.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#27]
very kool, cant wait to see your range review

to hold you over:
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Range review. I'll try I'm not a man of many words :)

Apparently you can use nitro powders if using shot gun primers but obviously I won't do that as the cylinder has not been proofed and that would be naughty and I'm a good boy.

I'm not sure if the nipples fitted were damaged but I was not getting very reliable ignition sometimes taking 4 or more strikes to fire. Thought I'd give these a go.
I also bent the existing cylinder spindle/latch at that week point by forgetting to turn the screw after I refit the cylinder. Knocked it back straight again but as parts for this are basically unobtainable over here  thought I'd try this quick release latch a local gunsmith sells. ( I never knew a load of people round here dress up like cowboys and go shooting every week seriously)

With the loading  press and this quick release latch  certainly makes it more enjoyable to shoot.  I'll try it this weekend see if the shotgun primers improve things.

Might even take the new holster and practice some drawing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Shotgun primers were a mixed bag. The cups were very tight I had to sort the primers out one that would fit and ones that wouldn't. Even the ones that fit were tight and hard to get out with the tool I was using so only had a few shots on target and switched out guns.. Will look to see if they need cleaning up. Made a noticeable difference in felt  recoil.

25 meters

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#30]
nice group. if you are having trouble with the shotgun primers, i suggest just going back to nipples, but since yours seem to be damaged, you can get improved versions from slick shot:

slick shot nipples

caps don't have to be pressed into the nippple, just pushed down over the top. less hassle and no tools other than to pop fragments out if they get lodged behind the nipple with a snall knife/stick/paperclip/ect. much easier. it looks like they make nipples for your gun. 

Equipping 1851 Navy replicas with Slix Shot nipples
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Interesting. I've seen nipples like that over here wondered what the extra holes were for.

I think the shotgun primers cups just need a little finishing, was a really nice positive ignition. I've not shot the gun for a few weeks and I was having issues with the original nipples 2 or 3 strikes to fire so it was getting annoying.

If the shotgun nipples get tiresome I'll try those.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Interesting. I've seen nipples like that over here wondered what the extra holes were for.

I think the shotgun primers cups just need a little finishing, was a really nice positive ignition. I've not shot the gun for a few weeks and I was having issues with the original nipples 2 or 3 strikes to fire so it was getting annoying.

If the shotgun nipples get tiresome I'll try those.
View Quote
a couple of things could be causing your multiple strikes.

first is a weak main spring, same principles as a light primer strike. The second and what happens to me if im not payin attention is an improperly seated cap. i keep one of those small midget pensil or a dowel rod with me when i shoot my 58 and i use it to gently press my caps onto the nipples after i hand seat them. most of the time the hand seating is enough, but if you have even a slightly worn or weak spring, firming up the caps just that little bit on the nipples can work wonders. i have never had a cap not fire doing this technique, only a cylinder (my own fault, bp likes to be compressed and i short stroked a ball press forgetting i had not put a wad underneath because i had run out.)

second thing, IF you are having cylinders not fire but caps going off,  the nipples have a much smaller fire hole than the shotgun primer fittings. take a small paperclip and straighten out a portion, then poke it through the nipple before your first shooting of the day. it will clean out the grease/oil that may have clogged the nipple during storage/ last cleaning and lubrication. clearing the nipples can be done by "capping off" empty cylinders, but that wastes caps IMHO. 
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
a couple of things could be causing your multiple strikes.

first is a weak main spring, same principles as a light primer strike. The second and what happens to me if im not payin attention is an improperly seated cap. i keep one of those small midget pensil or a dowel rod with me when i shoot my 58 and i use it to gently press my caps onto the nipples after i hand seat them. most of the time the hand seating is enough, but if you have even a slightly worn or weak spring, firming up the caps just that little bit on the nipples can work wonders. i have never had a cap not fire doing this technique, only a cylinder (my own fault, bp likes to be compressed and i short stroked a ball press forgetting i had not put a wad underneath because i had run out.)

second thing, IF you are having cylinders not fire but caps going off,  the nipples have a much smaller fire hole than the shotgun primer fittings. take a small paperclip and straighten out a portion, then poke it through the nipple before your first shooting of the day. it will clean out the grease/oil that may have clogged the nipple during storage/ last cleaning and lubrication. clearing the nipples can be done by "capping off" empty cylinders, but that wastes caps IMHO. 
View Quote
As to the Second thing yes I've had a bit of that always forgot I oiled it up good before putting it away.  Sorted that now. Might be a weak spring no idea how old or how much it was fired before I got it.
It's all new to me muzzle loading so a big learning curve. I enjoy using it might get a few more and maybe a musket :)
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#34]
well, its addicting. and there is not really all that much to learn. just little tricks and experience stuff..

i spent ALOT of time watching the you tube channel of the guy that did the slick-shot nipple video i posted. he does ALOT of black powder stuff especially revolvers. he does not have any model specific content to your gun. but percussion revolver basics and shooting transcend models. i highly recommend his channel. he may have a bit of a larping streak, but i learned more from him than anywhere else, and credit his channel for making is so that my first range trip i ever did with my '58 Remington went like a breeze because i already had the head knowledge. It sounds like you are getting the kinks worked out fine. be careful... black powder is worse than crack.. once you get a whiff, it never lets you go. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top