Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2017 10:18:21 AM EDT
I need to start doing this like I need another hole in my head.(of course there are some people who say making your own will put another hole in your head) I am making my own charcoal and in the process of making a ball mill. Of course this will lead me from shooting black powder to making fireworks. I hope to have a batch made in a month or so.
Again who is making their own?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have and it performs better than Goex.

As you know the key to good powder is a proper ball mill, charcoal quality and pressing it to the proper density (3.6 Grams /cc) then corning it.
Its fun but getting KNO3 and sulfur is harder now than 10 years ago...

Basic principal

Press it!
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Okay, I just spend the last 3 nights grinding ingredients for my own BP. I combined them in the proper ratios, mixed them thoroughly, lit the mix with a match...

...and was totally underwhelmed with the results. Nothing. Nada. Zip. It worked very well to extinguish the match I finally set to it.

WTF? I'm guessing that all ingredients are not created equal. I got the potassium nitrate from a bottle of stump remover; the sulphur from a pharmacy; and the charcoal from a pet store. The charcoal is "pelletized" charcoal for aquarium filters.

So which of these is likeliest to have been adulterated so we cannot blow up municipal bridges  to prevent combustion?

I have one batch which I mixed with water, which is drying in the sun.

Edit:
Just found out that the fish tank carbon is probably the worst thing I could've used:

Activated carbon is carbon produced from carbonaceous source materials such as nutshells, coconut husk, peat, wood, coir, lignite, coal, and petroleum pitch. It can be produced by one of the following processes: Physical activation: The source material is developed into activated carbons using hot gases.
View Quote
Source: Google search, probably Wikipedia.

I'll send off for some "real" charcoal from one of the chemical companies.

Meanwhile: how do I test the potassium nitrate and sulfur for purity?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have a old time feed store or garden center close by you may be able to get pot. nitrates and sulfur.
Stump remover should list the % on the back. I make my own charcoal. If you have willow trees in your area it would be a good source for making charcoal. I have some drying now. I used cedar fence boards to make charcoal because it will be a while before my willow is ready.

From what I understand charcoal is the most important part, it is the fuel.  Pot. Nitrates is the oxygen and the sulfur helps lower the flash point.

How fine of a powder are you getting your ingredients? Just be careful mixing up all three. There is another method called the CIA way
of making bp. I never tried it. Just remember it can go boom on you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I have Willow charcoal and 99% sulfur and *now, potassium nitrate to start making BP for the first time.

*I've a FA rotary tumbler for wet tumbling brass. After some online searching, seems it will work for milling, too
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I make my own BP. Here's a video description:
https://youtu.be/GFnVLJALvus
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:30:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I asked this question elsewhere: I have a LOT of very dry, weathered pine, from fences that have stood in the hot New Mexico sun for 15+ years. I also have lots of scrap pine from various projects I've made.

Which will be best for making charcoal?

I have a small can (a paint can, purchased "dry" from Ho Do) that I'll fill with wood strips, then bake at 400 degrees in a propane cooker.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I asked this question elsewhere: I have a LOT of very dry, weathered pine, from fences that have stood in the hot New Mexico sun for 15+ years. I also have lots of scrap pine from various projects I've made.

I have a small can (a paint can, purchased "dry" from Ho Do) that I'll fill with wood strips, then bake at 400 degrees in a propane cooker.
View Quote
I would think that pine should work fine

I used spruce 2x4 which I would guess is similar to pine. My willow source fell through.
A gal. metal paint can crammed full gave me enough charcoal to do quite a lot of BP

My BP turned out extremely nice. I'm very pleased with it

I basically followed tadserralta youtube tutorial -  'Homemade Black Powder'
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a vid of setting off a mortar shell off the ground. It was one of my first shells. I have charcoal stars in it. It is at 1/4 speed. Home made black powder,50 feet from phone. I better make a glass plate protector for the phone when testing/videoing.

https://youtu.be/A_KrhKqhaSA
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
To my understanding pine makes fairly decent charcoal. If you get some red cedar fence board it does make good charcoal for black powder. The above vid I posted is
red cedar fence boards for the bp and white pine for the charcoal stars( the stuff coming at the phone).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top