Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2017 9:03:00 PM EDT
Just got a new Traditions revolver; can I keep it loaded without damaging the barrel or cylinders?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure how it would damage the barrel.  You can keep black powder or pyrodex powder loaded in cylinders with ball, and no caps to make sure it doesn't damage you or something else.  

I use wonder wads over powder to prevent chain firing, and have left it that way never had a problem.  If you store it that way and then go to fire the revolver, then sometimes you may get a failure to fire on a cylinder, potentially.  I used to use paper clips inserted in the nipples to try and make sure the flash holes were not blocked.

Unfired powder in a clean cylinder should not cause any problems unless there is moisture inside or corrosion already started.  I would not do it in an area of high humidity.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure how it would damage the barrel.  You can keep black powder or pyrodex powder loaded in cylinders with ball, and no caps to make sure it doesn't damage you or something else.  

I use wonder wads over powder to prevent chain firing, and have left it that way never had a problem.  If you store it that way and then go to fire the revolver, then sometimes you may get a failure to fire on a cylinder, potentially.  I used to use paper clips inserted in the nipples to try and make sure the flash holes were not blocked.

Unfired powder in a clean cylinder should not cause any problems unless there is moisture inside or corrosion already started.  I would not do it in an area of high humidity.
View Quote
Your failures to fire were because you did not cap the cylinder. Properly fitting caps are designed to prevent moisture from reaching the powder through the flash hole. Leaving uncapped cylinders is not a good idea unless you want to practice unloading chambers that won't fire...

OP, even black powder guns need boogerhooks to make work. Load and cap your cylinders, but only load 5 of your 6 cylinders; and lower your hammer on the empty chamber. I have my revolver loaded this way for months without a single failure to fire or "accedent". 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Uh, who said I had failure to fires?  I have had a few, but not very many with my 1851 and 1858s over many years, only on one chamber of a cylinder.  None after the second shot.

I'll give you your point though, makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:04:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Uh, who said I had failure to fires?  I have had a few, but not very many with my 1851 and 1858s over many years, only on one chamber of a cylinder.  None after the second shot.

I'll give you your point though, makes sense.
View Quote
Might have read your first post wrong. My bad. When you said "sometimes you may experience a failure to fire on a cylinder,potentially" I assumed you were speaking from experience. 
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Chain firing on c&b revolvers is usually caused by ill fitting caps.
Wonder wads or grease over the front is more useful in keeping fouling soft. Typically you use a oversized ball on a c&b gun (I use .375 balls on my .36 cal) and the ball is swaged down to size as you load it, this seals the front of the chamber, not the grease or wad.
At least thats what i'd always been told.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Might have read your first post wrong. My bad. When you said "sometimes you may experience a failure to fire on a cylinder,potentially" I assumed you were speaking from experience. 
View Quote

You're fine, I did not have a lot of misfires over time, but I have not made a habit of storing the revolver with powder & ball and no cap on cylinders.  I believe you are correct generally that it could cause problems from moisture.  I also agree that a good way to go is just not load one of the cylinders you keep the hammer on.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Chain firing on c&b revolvers is usually caused by ill fitting caps.
Wonder wads or grease over the front is more useful in keeping fouling soft. Typically you use a oversized ball on a c&b gun (I use .375 balls on my .36 cal) and the ball is swaged down to size as you load it, this seals the front of the chamber, not the grease or wad.
At least thats what i'd always been told.
View Quote

First I've ever heard that, I've always read just the opposite in the black powder manuals.  I use the .375 Hornady round balls in the .36 guns, and they are good quality.  It always cuts a nice little thin lead ring the same size and does seal well.  

Personally however, I wouldn't get into the habit of shooting without a wad over powder or grease over the cylinder, and the wad also fills out the cylinder nicely.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:02:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

First I've ever heard that, I've always read just the opposite in the black powder manuals.  I use the .375 Hornady round balls in the .36 guns, and they are good quality.  It always cuts a nice little thin lead ring the same size and does seal well.  

Personally however, I wouldn't get into the habit of shooting without a wad over powder or grease over the cylinder, and the wad also fills out the cylinder nicely.
View Quote

Thats just what I'd always heard, and it seems to make sense. Those balls fit damn tight once they are swaged down.

Chain fires can occur from the back, if you loose a cap and you get enough flash/sparks from the chamber next to it it can jump. Just like having undersized balls without lube/wads, it provides a entry for the sparks.

Proper fitting caps and over sized balls do not provide any place for the spark to enter.

That being said, i wouldnt shoot without lube either, keeps the fowling soft.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Your failures to fire were because you did not cap the cylinder. Properly fitting caps are designed to prevent moisture from reaching the powder through the flash hole. Leaving uncapped cylinders is not a good idea unless you want to practice unloading chambers that won't fire...

OP, even black powder guns need boogerhooks to make work. Load and cap your cylinders, but only load 5 of your 6 cylinders; and lower your hammer on the empty chamber. I have my revolver loaded this way for months without a single failure to fire or "accedent". 
View Quote

One cool thing about this gun is that it has notches between the cylinders to admit the hammer. This way it can be stored with the hammer down, between nipples.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

One cool thing about this gun is that it has notches between the cylinders to admit the hammer. This way it can be stored with the hammer down, between nipples.
https://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/1858cylinder.jpg
View Quote
So you have the '58 Remington. 

Yes you can use the safety knotch with a fully loaded cylinder. The method I recounted, however, is pretty standard practice for cowboy action safety. It's technically "safer" but the safety knotches work fine too

(you might recognize the gun in my avitar)
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top