Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2017 7:01:19 PM EDT
Several years ago, I came across this piece in a pawn shop/antique store. It was very unique (to me); and at $300, I thought I paid a pretty good price for it (maybe I did; that, I don't know). I mainly got it because it matches my living room décor, so I'm happy with it either way.

I was able to find out a little bit about it, but there's not really a lot to go on. I'll include the links to what I found as I go, and I'll finish with some pics. If anyone here has more knowledge, or if I got something completely wrong, I'm very open to learning.

Here goes...

Through a Google search of the proof, I found a blog (generally I don't trust them, but this one seems to be fairly well researched--at least to me) that mentions Belgian proof marks. According to a 1978 article in The Gun Digest, as quoted by Mr. Cox, the proof appears to be from approximately 1810-1853 (It could also be the proof used from 1846-1924 for handguns.). Mr. Cox also stated, according to a book from 1910, that the particular proof mark used, signifies that the firearm was produced in the city of Liege.

I found a couple other close examples here and here. Mine isn't nearly in as good of a condition as those, but they appear to be similar in manufacture.

ETA: Also found out it's a box lock flint, not a flintlock.

It appears a repair was made for some reason, at some point. I'm not familiar enough with inner workings of this thing to make a guess, though.

Comparison to a .40 cal round. I have no idea what caliber the pistol is; perhaps a .45 or a different old-school, off-the-wall size?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Its a Liege trade coat pistol. .44cal. I wouldnt shoot it, iron ones are ok but these brass ones are questionable.

Also, does it have a hammer safety? If so, thats a rare feature.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its a Liege trade coat pistol. .44cal. I wouldnt shoot it, iron ones are ok but these brass ones are questionable.

Also, does it have a hammer safety? If so, thats a rare feature.
View Quote

I'm  not familiar with safeties from that era, so I couldn't tell you about that. It half-cocks, but the hammer will still fall from a trigger squeeze.

For me, brass is something to polish, not to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yours is a cruder copy ofthis french pattern:

http://www.drake.net/products/French-boxlock-flintlock-coat-pistol-ca.-1790---Price-$1850?id=29713
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top