Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2017 10:18:37 PM EDT
Looking to purchase a muzzleloader kit. Don't want to spend a ton, just looking for a project and thought it would be fun. Are the "traditions" brand any good?  
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Never done one yet from what I hear they are pretty good. Would love to do one some time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally I would avoid the Traditions unless the cost is your prime consideration. They are pretty basic no frills what guns made to pretty minimal design standards. Pretty plebian guns imo.

Go to Mid South Shooters Supply and look at the Lyman "Great Plain" series. You have a choice of .45, .50, .54 caliber; percussion or flintlock ignition; left or right hand action; and 32 inch 1 in 60 twist, 1 in 32 or 1 in 28 for conical bullets. And I think they make a 28 inch or 24 inch barreled "carbine length" model as well.

The Lyman guns are considered in the Rendevous/Mountain Man re-enactors circles as being pretty darned accurate replicas of long-rifles from the era. And they are very accurate with either the round ball or conical twist barrels. Also Green Mountain makes precision after market barrels that are drop-ins. (At least they did 30 yrs ago)

You can spend twice as much on your kit gun as a Lyman, or you can spend half as much (Traditions). Having owned multiple Lymans, a Navy Arms carbine "Hawken" and a custom built flintlock, I would go for the Lyman.

Sadly Thompson Center Arms no longer makes their excellent line of Hawken style rifles but you can still find them very reasonably priced on the used gun market for less than a kit.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Got nothing to compare to, but I'm in the last stages of putting together a Traditions Kentucky Percussion Kit I paid $300 for from Cabelas.  It seemed to go together well with nothing crazy to complain about.  There's a fair amount of wood working and brass work to make everything fit and look nice.  But I have no experience to know if that's any different than any other "bargain" kit?  I just wanted to build one to learn the ropes before I spend $900 on a Track of the Wolf kit I want to eventually build.  I've learned plenty and will use that knowledge on my next build.  I look forward to shooting it soon and using it for deer and maybe turkey's this spring.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, the Lyman guns are fine guns, and quite accurate, but at the rondy's they are considered OK replicas.  There are MUCH more HC/PC guns if your plan is reenactment.

Doc
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#5]
It's been 30 years ago but I built a CVA mountain rifle, which is a long barreled Hawkin when I was in the Navy. My Senior Chief brought me a Kentucky long rifle he had laying around. Both of those needed much bedding in the whole length of the barrel channel. After I finished SC's a Master Chief buddy of his bought a Lyman Hawkin and had me put it together. That one went together nice and finished up great. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top