Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2017 1:47:31 PM EDT
Been around ARFCOM quite a while, but never shot BP before.  I acquired two revolvers, and want to take them out next week.  Saw some youtube videos on disassembly and reassembly of each so I am confident I can do that.  I have not found much information on loading them.

#1 1858 New Model Army Revolv. .44 (Pietta)
#2 1851 Navy Revolv. .44

I have all the tools and gear to go with them, but just never tried it out.

Obviously, the most important question is how much powder should I load in each?

Accoutrements I have include...
Black Powder fff.
Wonder Seals.
And a brass measuring tube with graduation increments of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30...  
Also have a stand to push lead into the cylinder for off gun loading of the cylinders.

Thanks,

Bill

ETA,
Anyone in Nassau County, NY that wants to shoot BP at Mitchell Field on Wednesday, 18 January?
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Fill to about an eight of an inch from full.  This could be 30-35 grains.  And be sure to have the right size balls, some brands use 451 others 454.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot 25 grains (Pyrodex), felt wad, and .451 round ball in my Pietta .44s.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fill to about an eight of an inch from full.  This could be 30-35 grains.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Fill to about an eight of an inch from full.  This could be 30-35 grains.

1/8" seems to be extreme, but like I said, I am new to BP.

Quoted:
And be sure to have the right size balls, some brands use 451 others 454.

You're saying my balls may not be big enough?  Owners manual states .454, and that is what I have.  
Thank you,
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Start with 20grns.
Work up to about 30. Somewhere in there will be the sweet spot for accuracy in your piece.
The 58 Remmie can go up close to 40 but it's a waste of powder and hard on you and the gun.
.454 balls. The .451 might be too small. You want to see a ring shaved off the ball when ramming.
Too loose a fit and you'll get back out during recoil and possible chain fire. Bad juju.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I shoot 25 grains (Pyrodex), felt wad, and .451 round ball in my Pietta .44s.
View Quote

Thank you,

Bill
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I load .454 round balls, 25grn of Pyrodex (I haven't been able to track down any BP yet), and top it off with Bore Butter. I may invest in some felt wads at some point, but for the time being that recipe works just fine for me. I also cast my own bullets.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:21:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Been around ARFCOM quite a while, but never shot BP before.  I acquired two revolvers, and want to take them out next week.  Saw some youtube videos on disassembly and reassembly of each so I am confident I can do that.  I have not found much information on loading them.

#1 1858 New Model Army Revolv. .44 (Pietta)
#2 1851 Navy Revolv. .44

I have all the tools and gear to go with them, but just never tried it out.

Obviously, the most important question is how much powder should I load in each?

Accoutrements I have include...
Black Powder fff.
Wonder Seals.
And a brass measuring tube with graduation increments of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30...  
Also have a stand to push lead into the cylinder for off gun loading of the cylinders.

Thanks,

Bill

ETA,
Anyone in Nassau County, NY that wants to shoot BP at Mitchell Field on Wednesday, 18 January?
View Quote
Historical powder charges were 30gr. 

Powder/grease patch/ball 

you will be fine. Have fun smokin it up! I started from scratch not to long ago (maybe a little less than a year). My first shots were unaided, never had anyone show me, just YouTube and moving slow until your confident you won't skip a step.
soon you will be addicted like me (see avatar)
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:49:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Historical powder charges were 30gr. 

Powder/grease patch/ball 

you will be fine. Have fun smokin it up! I started from scratch not to long ago (maybe a little less than a year). My first shots were unaided, never had anyone show me, just YouTube and moving slow until your confident you won't skip a step.
soon you will be addicted like me (see avatar)
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
I was ready to shoot, but was screwed by the range.  I loaded both cylinders and then they said No BP.
I will still try to shoot them sometime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top