Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2017 8:13:17 PM EDT
I ordered a TVM Late Lancaster rifle.  A 36" straight octogan barrel in .50 cal.  German silver furniture, plain maple stock with a Siler lock.  

Six to seven months. Might as well be six to seven years.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#1]
You won't be disappointed but you will be longlingly waiting!!  

Be sure to post lots of pictures when you get it,.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#2]
i'm envious...

one day I shall have one...
one day....
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I ordered a TVM Late Lancaster rifle.  A 36" straight octogan barrel in .50 cal.  German silver furniture, plain maple stock with a Siler lock.  

Six to seven months. Might as well be six to seven years.
View Quote
Don't tell me that my thread put you over the edge. 

And fuck you for getting your order in before mine!!!!

what did they ask you for measurements? I know they build the stock to fit?
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't tell me that my thread put you over the edge. 

And fuck you for getting your order in before mine!!!!

what did they ask you for measurements? I know they build the stock to fit?
View Quote

I was already over!  

She asked my length of pull measured from the inside of my elbow, bent 90 degrees to the pad of my index finger also at 90 degrees. Mine was 15". She subtracted a 1/4" for clothing. So it will be 14 3/4".

Other than that it was pretty simple. Balance due at the time it goes to be built which is 6-7 months so I'll just pay it monthly.  I went with a red stained stock that she said is oxblood and looks fine with the silver furniture.  Other than that it's pretty plain. Standard stock, no patch box and a straight barrel.  A very basic gun.

My plan is to familiarize myself with it and maybe next year attemp a TOW kit or even a TVM kit. I have always wanted a fine flint gun and to me building it is really the heart and soul but I want to make sure I have the skills to not make a 300$ gun from 800$ in parts.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

All done and on the way. Eight month wait. Definitely worth it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Shit dude.  I just ordered a very similar setup yesterday.  My wait has just begun.  Good to know it's worth it!  Be sure you post your shooting results!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Shit dude.  I just ordered a very similar setup yesterday.  My wait has just begun.  Good to know it's worth it!  Be sure you post your shooting results!!
View Quote
I haven't had this much anticipation for a new gun in decades.  I have wanted a traditional style flintlock since I was old enough to recognize them. It seems they come with the rear sight uncut and the front sight tall. It's a .50 so I'll probably start out with a mild 60gr charge at first and see what it does at 50 yards. I think I'll zero it at 70 though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I haven't had this much anticipation for a new gun in decades.  I have wanted a traditional style flintlock since I was old enough to recognize them. It seems they come with the rear sight uncut and the front sight tall. It's a .50 so I'll probably start out with a mild 60gr charge at first and see what it does at 50 yards. I think I'll zero it at 70 though.
View Quote
Yeah I feel ya.  This is my first muzzleloader so I figured I'd buy once, cry once.  TVM makes beautiful firearms.  I ended up getting a .54 in case I decide to deviate from deer and hunt elk.

That's pretty cool that they let you customize the sights.  I hate getting factory guns that shoot high/low.  Though I'll probably end up having an adjustable peep sight put on mine.

Just fyi, I would not be upset if you posted some close-ups of your rifle.  Just sayin
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice!
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:23:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a TVM Late Lancaster in iron flint and it is a accurate and fun rifle. Heavy, but I only carry limited distance anyway. Your rifle with brass looks stunning.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:23:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a TVM Late Lancaster in iron flint and it is a accurate and fun rifle. Heavy, but I only carry limited distance anyway. Your rifle with brass looks stunning.
View Quote
It’s actually the German silver trim. It came very bright and I love it but even more now that it is beginning to take a patina.

I have it zeroed. That was a process and I put about 120 rounds through her over the course of two days getting it done. I’m using 75g of FFFg powder and a .490 hand cast ball with pillow ticking patches lubed with a 70/30 recipe of deer tallow and coconut oil. The tallow from a buck I killed opening of PA archery a few weeks ago.

She is zeroed about 1 1/2” hight at 50 yards. Which I’ve been able to hit a clay bird sized bullseye at 70 yeards holding dead on.

The lock is fast and reliable. I use English flints from ToTW. I got just over 80 shots with the first flint knapping it it twice along the way and the second is still going strong.

I painted the front blade fluorescent green.  It’s plain steel and not very visible in a hunting capacity. After all the filing and drifting was finished I used cold blue to touch up the sights. I put a small scratch on the top barrel flat with the file when I slipped. It cut through the tape I used as a guard but the cold blue made it almost invisable.

Cleaning is a breeze and I use furniture wax on the stock and the recommended ATF type 4 for the metal.

I could not be happier.

I built a steel range rod from a 48” length of cold rolled rod from Lowe’s. Set up a jig to mark and drill a centered hole in one end and tapped it to 10-32, bought a brass muzzle guard for $5 on eBay, and I mounted a poplar dowel on the other end for a handle. Works perfect.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, do you like the 36" barrel?  I'm trying to decide between 36" and 42" and my first instinct is to go with the 42"...
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
That's a beautiful rifle.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP, do you like the 36" barrel?  I'm trying to decide between 36" and 42" and my first instinct is to go with the 42"...
View Quote
I do like it.  It balances well and pints easily.  Feels really good
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's a beautiful rifle.
View Quote
Thanks. It is pretty. Almost to pretty to hunt with. Almost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top