Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2016 1:42:17 PM EDT
Getting into muzzle loading, but I guess you'd say I'm more interested in shooting a period correct firearm than a modern day firearm.  Free to shred my limited knowledge if needed!

If I wanted a reproduction of a "Kentucky long rifle" where could I start?  

If I should start with something else point me in the right direction.  Am I jumping the gun, should I learn on something else first?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Where in GA?  What do you want the rifle for?  I use a .54 Hawken for deer hunting around Augusta & Albany.  With a patched round ball it drops a whitetail DRT.  With a shot cup and #7 shot, it drops squirrel and rabbits (but is really overkill for them).

Keep your nose in the wind and watch your skyline.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Use would be just man versus paper.  Northeast Georgia.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Pedersoli makes some nice long rifles. Not too expensive.

If you're just gonna punch paper get a .45cal. More economical to shoot, less recoil.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll look into the ones y'all suggested.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#5]
If going flintlock, there are so many poor locks that many folks don't know what they are supposed to be like.  Soft frizzens, overly strong springs, poor ignition.  Lyman or Pedersoli would be the lowest for a lock which will actually work.  If you only want percussion, the Thompson Centers are good but they didn't make the style you want.

You will have to do 'load development' just as with any other gun.   There can be big variations in group size with the amount of powder used, the thickness of a patch, size of ball, type of lube, etc.  You just need to experiment with loads to find the right combination for your gun, they are all individual.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Before you buy anything, go to the public library and get Joe Kindig's, "Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in the Golden Age," or Henry Kauffman's, "The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle."   At least glance at the pictures before you go out and buy.  What Pedersoli sells and what was carried in the F&I War, American Revolution and the Federal Period are very different.  Here's a link to a recent article in the Am. Rifleman.  Look at the pictures:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/9/4/the-grouseland-rifle-a-longrifle-by-john-small/
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Pedersoli is a good starter, Lymans are excellent. you can pick up a used T/C on gunbroker too.

a .50 PRB with 60 gr of FFg will shoot clean thru a whitetail at 60 yards from chest to ham.

make sure you are getting an appropriate twist.

if you are really serious about spending some money I would maybe start here
Tennesse Valley

my next BP rifle will be an Early Virginia.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pedersoli is a good starter, Lymans are excellent. you can pick up a used T/C on gunbroker too.

a .50 PRB with 60 gr of FFg will shoot clean thru a whitetail at 60 yards from chest to ham.

Tennesse Valley

View Quote

Good advice.  I have a gently used T/C White Mountain Carbine, and it has been an excellent shooter.  

IMHO, I'd start with a percussion rifle like one of the ones listed above by OKnativeson.  You can find a fair number of gently used rifles like these for sale frequently.

While plenty of the rifles aren't period accurate to any particular time period, and some have more modern click adjustable iron sights, you will certainly have a much different shooting experience with one than with a modern firearm.  If you find you like it, then you can start to decide what sort of period accurate rifle you want.  You can spend as much money on a period accurate muzzleloader as you can on a high end centerfire rifle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While plenty of the rifles aren't period accurate to any particular time period, and some have more modern click adjustable iron sights, you will certainly have a much different shooting experience with one than with a modern firearm.  If you find you like it, then you can start to decide what sort of period accurate rifle you want.  You can spend as much money on a period accurate muzzleloader as you can on a high end centerfire rifle.
View Quote

I think I'm going to have to settle on some compromises like you suggest.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

start out with the semi modern caplocks like I listed. go thru the learning curve and decide what direction you want to go. I own over a dozen BP rifles and always planning on the next one.

unlike what you will read on the web and on the hunting shows, a PRB in front of 60+ gr of BP is a wicked beast and should be respected and with the right twist, far more accurate than most shooters.

there is a lot of technique, skill and info about your gun and load that you will learn over time.

BTW
I am partial to the flatter butt rifles. I do not like the sharp curved butts on a rifle.thats one reason I hunt and shoot my T/C Renegade more often than all the others.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#11]
concur with OKnativeson re: the earlier flintlocks with the flatter butts.  The Federal Period (Constitution was signed) saw the rise of shooting off the arm instead of the shoulder, hence those horrible crescent shaped buttplates.  Give me something from 1755-1781 instead.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

start out with the semi modern caplocks like I listed. go thru the learning curve and decide what direction you want to go. I own over a dozen BP rifles and always planning on the next one.

unlike what you will read on the web and on the hunting shows, a PRB in front of 60+ gr of BP is a wicked beast and should be respected and with the right twist, far more accurate than most shooters.

there is a lot of technique, skill and info about your gun and load that you will learn over time.

BTW
I am partial to the flatter butt rifles. I do not like the sharp curved butts on a rifle.thats one reason I hunt and shoot my T/C Renegade more often than all the others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BTW

There is truth here.  I shoot 80 gr 777 from my T/C White Mountain Carbine, which is overkill.  Someday I'll find an accurate charge that's much less powder, because in that little of a rifle it kicks like a mule.  However, those 80 gr will kill deer with authority.  

There are folks on the internet who think any load less than 100 gr won't do the job, and they are dead wrong.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
concur with OKnativeson re: the earlier flintlocks with the flatter butts.  The Federal Period (Constitution was signed) saw the rise of shooting off the arm instead of the shoulder, hence those horrible crescent shaped buttplates.  Give me something from 1755-1781 instead.
View Quote

all day, every day.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#14]
the gold standard was 10 gr of BP per 10 yards of shooting. but I've shot 60gr and a PRB at 80 yards and it went clean thru a whitetail.
I've never trailed a whitetail more than 40 yards after the hit and I've never lost a BP deer in 30+ years of hunting with muzzleloaders. hitting one is certainly not like hitting one with a 7 Mag, but more like with archery.

deadly, but there is a learning curve.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If you're just gonna punch paper get a .45cal. More economical to shoot, less recoil.
View Quote
Listen to this man... but be careful.. he will cost you money
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did he talk you into a particularly expensive rifle or something?

Anyway...

I checked out the Pedersoli Kentucky Percussion Rifle on Cabela's and it seems to be what I'm looking for.

Any word on quality from Traditions Firearms?  They look like a lower tier company just from pricing to me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um... let's just say that I'll be giving a not so insignificant to me ammount of money to TMV in the near future.. he fed my addiction with knowledge, and now I want one of these:

My entry drug

Coincidentally, OP. You definitely super really totally don't want to click on this link

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Um... let's just say that I'll be giving a not so insignificant to me ammount of money to TMV in the near future.. he fed my addiction with knowledge, and now I want one of these:

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/694e91_92226db957a6455595864b9568b78aa3.jpg/v1/fill/w_1478,h_234,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/694e91_92226db957a6455595864b9568b78aa3.jpg

My entry drug
http://i.imgur.com/zYfxzDJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HWfTlAM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CZ6Hujc.jpg

Coincidentally, OP. You definitely super really totally don't want to click on this link
http://www.tennesseevalleymuzzleloading.com

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/694e91_92226db957a6455595864b9568b78aa3.jpg/v1/fill/w_1478,h_234,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/694e91_92226db957a6455595864b9568b78aa3.jpg

My entry drug
http://i.imgur.com/zYfxzDJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HWfTlAM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CZ6Hujc.jpg

I like your style...
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:12:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Too late.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:31:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Too late.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too late.

you now know you are hooked..
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Too late.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Too late.

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd load my ROA with blanks and blast it on New Year and the 4th of July. At night it was a great fireball of fun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's a link to a couple that are worth the money!

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/pp-classifieds/showcat.php/cat/9
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I would have thought that these things would have been consistently sub $1,000 but, I was wrong.

I like the Pedersoli Kentucky Percussion Rifle.  I'll have to wait a bit on the purchase but, no big deal.

If I enjoy shooting it, I may consider some of the others.

Can anyone talk me out of it?
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would have thought that these things would have been consistently sub $1,000 but, I was wrong.

I like the Pedersoli Kentucky Percussion Rifle.  I'll have to wait a bit on the purchase but, no big deal.

If I enjoy shooting it, I may consider some of the others.

Can anyone talk me out of it?
View Quote

Nobody on Arfcom will talk you out of buying a decent gun.....they will just talk you into buying more expansive one.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nobody on Arfcom will talk you out of buying a decent gun.....they will just talk you into buying more expansive one.
View Quote

You're right.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 1:57:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You're right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.

and its not ethically wrong either.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I prefer the Hawken style rifle, particularly because it's easy to come by in .54 caliber and .54 caliber is king with a round ball in a 1-66 twist barrel or with a traditional minie ball in a faster 1-48 twist barrel.

Of course, I found that a 2 band rifled musket like the 2 band Enfield or the Remington Zouave shooting a 525 gr .58 caliber minie ball with 60 to 80 grains of black powder was superb as a hunting rifle, which excellent accuracy and very solid knock down power.      

I'm also very partial to paper cartridge black powder rifles.  The 1859 Sharps Infantry Rifle and the 1873 commercial rifles are great fun to shoot and the block is designed to cut the end off the cartridge and expose the powder.  It also incorporates a plate and a floating chamber sleeve that seals the breech when the rifle is fired.

The .54 caliber cartridges are not hard to make with some linen based paper and some potassium permanganate to make flash paper, and a sheet metal pattern for the paper.  You can fit 20 of them in a standard civil war cartridge box.

-----

In other words, be real careful, as one black powder rifle will lead to others in various configurations and before you know it you've got black powder rifles all over the place.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Tennesse Valley

View Quote

I have an Early Va flintlock from TVM, and it is outstanding. Great choice!
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I prefer the Hawken style rifle, particularly because it's easy to come by in .54 caliber and .54 caliber is king with a round ball in a 1-66 twist barrel or with a traditional minie ball in a faster 1-48 twist barrel.

Of course, I found that a 2 band rifled musket like the 2 band Enfield or the Remington Zouave shooting a 525 gr .58 caliber minie ball with 60 to 80 grains of black powder was superb as a hunting rifle, which excellent accuracy and very solid knock down power.      

I'm also very partial to paper cartridge black powder rifles.  The 1859 Sharps Infantry Rifle and the 1873 commercial rifles are great fun to shoot and the block is designed to cut the end off the cartridge and expose the powder.  It also incorporates a plate and a floating chamber sleeve that seals the breech when the rifle is fired.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/26c33e5e.jpg

The .54 caliber cartridges are not hard to make with some linen based paper and some potassium permanganate to make flash paper, and a sheet metal pattern for the paper.  You can fit 20 of them in a standard civil war cartridge box.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/def0c36f.jpg

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/b92f03a7.jpg
-----

In other words, be real careful, as one black powder rifle will lead to others in various configurations and before you know it you've got black powder rifles all over the place.
View Quote

Looks like a lot of fun!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top