Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2016 10:50:23 PM EDT
I got a medium size (just over 140lb field dressed) mule deer with my CVA Optima V2 a few weeks ago. I was shooting 250 gr Hornady SST sabots over 150 gr of Pyrodex. I recovered the bullet while butchering the meat and was impressed by how little mass was lost.

Deer was shot at 26 yards, facing me. Shot entered at base of neck, passed through chest cavity, and ended up in left ham, shattering the rear leg.

Most of bullet is intact. I haven't weighed it to see what mass was lost but it seems that the lead core is all there and the majority of the jacket is intact.

I'm happy with the results and we'll continue to use this bullet on deer.

Bullet pics:

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:36:17 AM EDT
[#1]
very good performance.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used that same bullet on several deer in my .50 Knight ML.  Definitely works!

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!  I like how the SST gives you rapid expansion from the tip, but a god portion of the base stays intact.  that shot would have been a pass through on a broadside shot.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Love it when folks post actual factual info... good stuff!
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's another example. 30yd shot. 3-50 gr pellets of 777, 250 gr SST out of my Knight Master Hunter.

Ray Charles Bloodtrail!!!

Absolutely filleted the heart in two!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top