Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2016 11:08:46 PM EDT
Im pretty new to black powder so sorry if this is a commonly addressed question.

Im looking for a 1700s/1800s styled muzzloader (like the Traditions Hawken or Kentucky rifle) that can use the same ball as a .44 cal BP revolver (Rem 1858 specifically).  

Does anybody make a .45 or slightly larger caliber muzzleloader that could directly share ammo with the 1858?  Ive looked everywhere I know to look and havent seen one, but I know I havent looked everywhere.

On the other hand, I understand that when using patched balls one would use a ball sized about .015 or so smaller than the bore size to leave room for the patch, and when shooting BP Revolvers, one can use oversize balls and the cylinder will shave the excess lead when it is pressed in.  Could I get away with using a .50 cal rifle that uses thick patches and smaller balls and a revolver that uses the same size and just trim the excess (or would it be too hard to press it into place)?
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Im pretty new to black powder so sorry if this is a commonly addressed question.

Im looking for a 1700s/1800s styled muzzloader (like the Traditions Hawken or Kentucky rifle) that can use the same ball as a .44 cal BP revolver (Rem 1858 specifically).  

Does anybody make a .45 or slightly larger caliber muzzleloader that could directly share ammo with the 1858?  Ive looked everywhere I know to look and havent seen one, but I know I havent looked everywhere.

On the other hand, I understand that when using patched balls one would use a ball sized about .015 or so smaller than the bore size to leave room for the patch, and when shooting BP Revolvers, one can use oversize balls and the cylinder will shave the excess lead when it is pressed in.  Could I get away with using a .50 cal rifle that uses thick patches and smaller balls and a revolver that uses the same size and just trim the excess (or would it be too hard to press it into place)?
View Quote

I think it could be done.
check out Hornady's website on the Muzzleloading page and look over their round ball selection for 44 and 45. you want a 45, a 50 wont fit thru your loading port.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#2]
First find the ball that works for your revolver.  It should leave a shaved ring when it is pushed down the cylinder.

Now, get the rifle and then figure out what thickness patch you need. It is a matter of having a thick enough patch for a tight fit.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Does anybody make a .45 or slightly larger caliber muzzleloader that could directly share ammo with the 1858? Ive looked everywhere I know to look and havent seen one, but I know I havent looked everywhere.

View Quote

Not that I have ever seen. I have monkeyed with black power since early 80s and have a couple books on shooting them.

You could get away with it and fire a projectile I suppose, but I can't imagine it would be accurate in any way.

I use 220 grain Maxi-Balls in my .45 caliber rifle (no patch needed.)  They are more accurate than patched balls and have a lot more energy. There are other versions available too.
I use .451 balls or conicals in my 1858 Remington Army.

What you are looking for makes sense, but for some reason was not acted upon by 19th century gun makers or modern replica makers..
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Some of the mountain men carried one or more single shot pistols in the same caliber as their rifle, that's probably the most practical way to do it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 2:06:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for the replies.  I guess Ill eventually end up getting a .50 and see what I can do with it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're into hunting, get a Civil War replica Minie rifle.  They're good out to 500 yards and with a 535 grain minie ball,  you can harvest elk or bear.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
I had a long conversation with a guy from TMV on this.

Yes it can be done... but it is fucking expensive.

Flintlock rifles are not measured the same way percussion revolvers are. A .45cal flintlock actually takes a .445-.444 patched round all. A .45cal precussion revolver on the other hand takes a .451 to .454 unpatched roundball.

You would have to have a custom barrel made for your flintlock in something like .46 or .47 cal to work. Then take that barrel to a maker and have them build a rifle around it.

If you have the money, go for it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top