Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2016 10:49:24 AM EDT
I began reading the book, The Queen's American Rangers. It mentioned how the Brown Bess could throw a ball out to 200 yards but that it was accurate only out to 100 yards. Yeah, sure.

Anyway, the author, Donald Gara, also said that black flints last longer than amber flints. I've never heard this before and never used amber flints and all the flints I ever used were black.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Its true. The French used amber flints and theyre typically more brittle than the dark English flints. They wear out in about 15-20 shots in my bess to 30 or so on an English flint.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I tried amber flints for a while, wore out fast.

Went back to the black English flints.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Anybody got a picture of some examples of these black or amber flints?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#4]
This guy on Facebook is selling amber flints and has pics of them
Passagassawakeag-18th-19th-Century-Objects-For-Sale
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Ebay photo
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used them both, no difference. Grey chalky flints? I stay away from those. No spark!

BTW you can find amber, black, gray and brown flints all over southern England. There they are so common, that they use them as wall decorations on the outside of houses, as well as for riprap in culverts.

Google: flints on english houses
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Had to put the book down.  I'm working on a book on the history of sharpshooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top