Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2016 9:03:55 AM EDT
Well for the past two years I have wanted to get a black powder cannon. I have been looking around at some info online and find tons of signal cannons, even a few at gun shows. I like the napoleon style and civil war stuff on a wheeled carriage. I would love to have a full scale one but storage is a bit of a issue, so a 2/3 or 1/2 scale it will have to be. I would like to be able to store it in my den between some of the gun safes as a display, But take it out to fire a few times a year. I would prefer one that can shoot a projectile on occasion, not all the time.

Now I have located a barrel that is for sale, called the guy to get some info and see if its worth looking at. And well it has me interested and came here for some insight. But let me start with this, Yes I know they are heavy, yes they eat a good amount of powder, and yes it will be addicting....My favorite part of fireworks etc is the felt blast/report from the charges going off....

Back on topic, sorry...

Guy says the barrel is made by South Bend Replicas is about 3 ft long and has about a 1 1/4 bore (possibly a little larger, but definitely under 2"), Napoleon style. Says he has had it for about 20+ years and has NEVER fired it, said it is extremely nicely made and didn't want to ruin its look. it is set in a wood almost mortar base that I would dispose of. Basically it is stacked 2x4 held together with a few wood screws and nothing over the trunions. I would be looking into making a carriage for it so I can move and transport it easier. he says the barrel is about 150-175 lbs and is all steel not cast with a liner.

SO big question is, how are south bend replicas? And what is a fair market value, he says he paid about $3k for the barrel only shipped to his residence. He is asking $1750 for it, I explained I was looking at just the barrel and will have further expense to make a carriage etc. he said he has some room but not much. Again, says never fired, sits just as it was received taken from the shipping create.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been interested in BP cannons for years too.  Always had my eye on this 2/3 field cannon for $1200.  IIRC, shipping is like 100.  Looks a bit bigger, cheaper, and not 20+years old.  

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_106_665&products_id=1654&osCsid=2nglaid2p0f3bckhrdksb2ekh6
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have looked at the Dixie gun works stuff on line. I don't know how their quality would be , would like to see one in person. I was in hope of someone from the other cannon posts would chime in as to the good bad brands etc.

I have always liked them,  Would like to add something to the current collection.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
While I have no personal knowledge of South Bend Replicas, based on a quick perusal, the cannon-shootin' folks over at Greybeard Outdoors seem to have a good opinion of them.
GBO Cannon forum
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Pigbat is right GBO is the place to learn about cannons no other site comes close !

South Bend makes excellent guns .
Gary
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots and lots to learn.  As mentioned above, go over to Greybeards and read and read and read (and then read some more) before ever thinking about firing it.  Be sure to read the FAQs on safe cannon design and loads.  Learn the loading procedure and don't rush the time between shots.  Cannons are not just bigger rifles or pistols, there is a lot more to it than that.

All of that said, South Bend Replica guns are top of the line.  Make sure it has a steel liner in it.  Often you can look at the end of it and/or stick a magnet on it to see if it sticks.  

Good luck, stay safe and keep all your fingers attached.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top