Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2016 5:52:51 AM EDT
I want to make lube.  Just because.

I was going to use lamb tallow (which I just made, I'm a meatman I can get lamb fat), beeswax and maybe olive oil.

What ratio should I use?

I saw a recipe using a one part tallow, one part paraffin half part beeswax

I shoot conical bullets. Using pyrodex right now but got a line on some goex.  If that matters.

Also I'm looking for something soft enough for cold weather, BP season is Dec here.   Should I make a specific lube for the cold.  Maybe tallow with some oil?  
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Read about what the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle guys use for a mixture, then adjust for correct viscosity.

It's not really very critical, and depends mostly on how  "goopy" you want it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out this site, good recipes

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?58-Boolit-Lube-!
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#3]
For my bullets I use beeswax and olive oil .  I might try something new once I run out of my current batch but it keeps the leading down to almost 0 and cleanup is a easy . I use a 50-50 mix for a harder lube for my 45-70 black powder cartridges. You can always add more olive oil for a softer mix. I don't see a need though , once you kick that round off the heat will make it goopy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I use 50-50 beeswax and peanut oil for my BPCR shooting.  I'd use tallow with enough beeswax to make stiff enough to stay on the bullet.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I use 3 oz melted beeswax plus 3 oz melted Crisco and then add 2 teaspoon melted Lanolin.
My hands do get soft.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top