Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2016 2:44:57 AM EDT
I recently satisfied my long time desire and bought a Hawken type percussion rifle.  My question is what is the best type of black powder to use.  I've studied how to take it apart and clean, load, and shoot but am unsure of the powder.  I am asking if anyone could point me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#1]
GOEX FFG for black powder

777 FFG for alternative

if you can change out your standard nipple for a Musket Nipple and use Musket Caps. ( one of the best things I ever did to my T/C's)
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Swiss Black Powder is highly regarded for its consistency.

It is pricey, as you would imagine.  

If you are new to black powder shooting then assemble your cleaning kit before you go shooting.  After shooting I had a 5 gallon pail that I would fill up about 1/2 way with warm soapy water.  I would take out the nipple, drop the breech end of the barrel into the water and then use a ramrod wrapped with a tight fitting "plug" of patches.  When I reached the water level in the barrel the patches would get soaked and then I would draw the rod up towards the muzzle.  

This would create suction and water would go up the barrel.  Then I would plunge out the water (and the fouling).

Don't forget to clean the lock- any place where fouling can get sprayed you will get corrosion.

Once cleaned with water I would follow up with conventional black powder cleaning solvents and then completely dry and oil all metal parts.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
What about Pyrodex? Is it corrosive like black powder?
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I only use Goex.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plus it smells like shit.

I use it because it's available.   Black powder isn't always.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Swiss Black Powder is highly regarded for its consistency.

It is pricey, as you would imagine.  

If you are new to black powder shooting then assemble your cleaning kit before you go shooting.  After shooting I had a 5 gallon pail that I would fill up about 1/2 way with warm soapy water.  I would take out the nipple, drop the breech end of the barrel into the water and then use a ramrod wrapped with a tight fitting "plug" of patches.  When I reached the water level in the barrel the patches would get soaked and then I would draw the rod up towards the muzzle.  

This would create suction and water would go up the barrel.  Then I would plunge out the water (and the fouling).

Don't forget to clean the lock- any place where fouling can get sprayed you will get corrosion.

Once cleaned with water I would follow up with conventional black powder cleaning solvents and then completely dry and oil all metal parts.
View Quote

If you can find Swiss Locally jump on it. I have found it very hard to get most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#7]
If your Hawkens is 45 cal, then use 3F.  If it is 50 or larger, then 2F.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If your Hawkens is 45 cal, then use 3F.  If it is 50 or larger, then 2F.
View Quote

Thanks, didn't think to mention that my rifle was a 50 cal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#9]
BTW, the Swiss stuff is expensive.  I prefer Goex. Elephant is supposed to be the dirtiest.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#10]
The Olde Eynsford line from GOEX is very close if not equal to Swiss in energy and fouling. It is less than Swiss cost wise.

Powder INC. is an excellent place to order, but in 5 pound minimum but you can mix and match different grades and brands.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Sept. 2016 issue of Muzzle Blasts magazine has the Bevel Brothers' Back to Basics feature.  In it Bevel Up wrote:

Black powder residue isn't all that corrosive, although it does have a tendency to be hydroscopic and it will promote corrosion on metal parts if left in place long enough. The blackpowder substitute called Pyrodex is pretty darn corrosive, though, so if you shoot that stuff instead of black powder you need to clean the gun right away afterwards. Triple 7 is another black powder substitute that a lot of folks  use, but it seems to behave more like black powder as far as its corrosive properties go.  It actually cleans up with just hot water.

Some years ago we did an experiment with short sections of a barrel.  We cut the barrel into six inch lengths, threaded and breeched them, and then fired them with black powder and Pyrodex. Then, without cleaning them, we put them on a shelf in my basement for a year.  After a year we sawed each one in half lengthwise so we could see what the bore looked like up close.  the black powder barrel showed some rust spots and a few pitted areas, but the Pyrodex barrel was just uniformly frosted - like it had been sandblasted or something. Some folks new to muzzle loading think that if you use a black powder substitute you don't have to clean the gun - they think it's like modern smokless powder.  But it isn't.  
View Quote

Conclusion:  clean it regardless of what you've used.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Goex is good bp and reasonably priced. You can use either 3f or 2f for 50 cal. I have used both for my 58 cal with good results. 777 is also a good substitute if your rifle uses a cap, it will not work in a flintlock. Grafs sells their own brand of bp that is also good powder.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Swiss and Goes Olde Eynesford are the top powders, but I'd reserve them for competitive shooting.  Almost all shooters at the World Muzzle-Loading Championships are using Swiss.

Regular Goex is a good powder, and probably the most accessible in the U.S.  

At .50, you can use either 2F or 3F.  I personally would use 3F.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heathen Pilgrim!  Only real Back powder is black powder.  I like Goex in my .54 Hawken.
^^Fixed It Myself
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I only know of one local independent shop that sells real BP and they only carry Goex.  I heard Bass Pro sells it, so I inquired when I was last there--there was even a sign about it behind the gun counter.  I asked "how much" and two guys told me "$30-something, I think, but I'll have to check."  I told them that if the number started with a 3 I wasn't interested.  Am I out of touch with current Goes prices?

Rob
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:50:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I use what is called musket powder. It suppose to be 3F. I like it because it is cheap and does go bang. I shoot 357mag. I run 50 rounds thru one pistol with no problems.
I make my own lube and cast my own bullets. One day I want to  make black powder.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 2:12:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Where do you guys buy your Goex powder?
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Where do you guys buy your Goex powder?
View Quote

Check the goex distributor list. Call several, see which is less expensive delivered to your home!  

http://www.goexpowder.com
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I recently bough a 25 lb mixed case. I paid 15lb for GOEX, and 17 lb for Ole Eynesford. 1 lb prices are 17 and 19$. I prefer swiss, but he doesnt carry it.
Eynesford and Swiss are both cleaner than GOEX, and way cleaner if you duplex your load with smokeless.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I use FFFG goex in all my 50 cal and under guns. I dont run them full tilt. My PRB rifle I run 70 grains. I use 385 grain bullets in my Lyman GPH with 110gr of FFFG. Rifle is a tank and it will thump you pretty good. That is my max load that should be good for anything in North America.

I have not shot my Remington 1863 yet. Will probobly use FFg on that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top