Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2016 10:18:53 PM EDT
I've seen several beautiful miniature replica cannons at gun shows etc. but I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere online.

All I've found are sites that sell either non-firing models or the "Pocket Artillery" type which do not interest me (I want something decorative that, for example, could also be displayed on a desk or bookshelf when not in use).

Anyone know of a few places that sell such miniature black powder cannon replicas?

Also, I've heard of people making their own; anyone know of any good sites/guides to get started? Is it difficult/too expensive to get into without extensive tools/mills etc?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Naval cannon, shoots 50 cal patched RB.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_106_665
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:19:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Ebay is your friend in this case. Search for a "black powder cannon" or a "signal cannon" or similar. There are numerous mini cannons sold there. Some are shootable, some are not. The little brass ones can be drilled out to shoot.

I bought three 4.5" long barrel brass cannons thinking they are shootable (cost me $18 plus shipping). When I got them, I found that the trunnions have been drilled through the barrel, and the bore is only 1/2" deep. The touch hole was drilled in the back, but only for decoration. So I got a 8mm drill bit (.30") and drilled the barrel almost to the trunnion, about 2" deep. Then I drilled a touch hole to meet the bore. And voila! - I have 3 little shootable cannons. Fired them on the 4th of July with some BP and crumbled foil on top. Lots of fun!

I now have a 50 cal cannon on the way, cost me arnd $40 shipped. On a wood carriage, brass barrel 8" long. 12" overall. Can't wait to shoot it, it will be arriving next week.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Found this barrel on ebay. Had a 1" bore. I built a carriage to complete.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:50:31 AM EDT
[#4]
For everything cannon related you would want to talk with Jim "Cannonball" Irwin at Irwin Restorations. He is my Father for full disclosure, but I grew up shooting cannons and we hold records from back in the day at Muzzle Loading Rendevous and such. He has mini cannons, bigger cannons, all black powder. jimirwin at austin.rr.com
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#5]

You mean like this? Well you have to make these yourself but I do have the plans.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:59:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

that's beautiful

i'm thinking terryc builds or used to build small black powder cannons, but i could be confusing him with someone else.  

eta:  sent him an IM with a link to the thread
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been known to tinker . . .

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 12:48:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You mean like this? Well you have to make these yourself but I do have the plans.

View Quote

Drool-worthy pics omitted, but that is AWESOME!  How much machining skill is involved...a fair bit, I surmise.  Shoots .22 LR?   WOW!

Rob
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That is beautiful!   What scale?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
The barrel is about 9" long. Not sure what sale it is.

I did not notice this was posted in the BP forum since it popped up on the active topics tab. I guess it really doesn't fit this forum.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#12]
This one is BP, and is available.
Afraid to ask the price, but DO WANT!  

1/6 scale, 1" bore. Remarkable attention to scale right down to the lands and grooves in the rifling.

Link to full gallery here.

(For the record I am not affiliated with the mfg.)
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#13]

WOW! does that fire .22lr?

What's involved to making this? Can I have a peak at those plans?
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
WOW! does that fire .22lr?

What's involved to making this? Can I have a peak at those plans?
View All Quotes
The plans can be downloaded from my grabCAD page. Just find the same one under the models and you will find the plans with it.

https://grabcad.com/mongo-3

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#15]
If you are looking for miniature cannons Ebay is Not your friend at least untill you've learned some things .

THE BEST ONLINE SOURCE FOR ANYTHING TO DO WITH CANNONS
Is hands down ..greybeard outdoors.. go to the cannon forum and introduce yourself .

You will learn everything you need to know on that forum !

Dont build or buy Anything until you've checked GBO . I say this because a lot of junk , very dangerous junk is sold on Eb*y .
plumbing pipes with hardware store screw on end caps as breeches.

Look me up I am Rocklock I over there .
AND you can look up various makers that build Safe cannons , have a ton of fun , and burn lots of black powder !

Gary
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#16]
That 100 lb Parrott gun shown in Terry Cs post is an example of the skill and abilities over on GBO .

Two freinds of mine made that gun and many others . It was rifled by them and can print 2 inches at 200 yds .

If you want to learn cannons there is no other place with this sort of knowledge avaliable.

Gary
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:13:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That 100 lb Parrott gun shown in Terry Cs post is an example of the skill and abilities over on GBO .

Two freinds of mine made that gun and many others . It was rifled by them and can print 2 inches at 200 yds .

If you want to learn cannons there is no other place with this sort of knowledge avaliable.

Gary
View Quote

Mike and Tracy amaze me with their skill and attention to detail.

If you do go over to GBO, wear your big-boy pants. Safety procedures and the rules of cannon design are not taken lightly.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:56:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you do go over to GBO, wear your big-boy pants. Safety procedures and the rules of cannon design are not taken lightly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gary

Terry,

Good to see you're still kicking.  I see your love of cannons continue.  Finishing up my second year in Iraq and headed back to Astan for another.

CD
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Terry,

Good to see you're still kicking.  I see your love of cannons continue.  Finishing up my second year in Iraq and headed back to Astan for another.

CD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gary

Terry,

CD

C_D! Long time no see!

Good to hear from you. Stay safe and give'em Hell!
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Just got a Traditions Old Ironsides .69 caliber miniature cannon.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Soon . . .

Poolballs will fly!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Soon . . .

http://www.fototime.com/01309ABCA689756/orig.jpg

Poolballs will fly!
View Quote
Looking forward to that!

CD
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That is beautiful!

What scale?
View Quote
It shoots 22lr IIRC 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Soon . . .

http://www.fototime.com/01309ABCA689756/orig.jpg

Poolballs will fly!
View Quote
sexy
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, since the title says "miniature" I can't leave this one out . . .

Brass, .69 caliber. Can fire a .678 round ball, a paintball, or a #6 cork.

The lead balls put a little more stress on it than I'm comfortable with, so I have only fired them a couple of times.

Corks are the most fun. Loud pop, smoke & fire, still very easy on the little guy.

I didn't make this one it was given to me as a gift, some assembly required.
Barrel finished except for drilling the touch hole, a rough cut block of wood for the bed, and the pieces to assemble the handles.

Crappy video still, but you get the idea . . .

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#28]
One step closer . . .

The trunnion is just sitting in its milled slot for now. All I had shop time for this morning.

It'll either be brazed in or bolted, still looking at the pros and cons of either.
It won't be arc welded (7018) like the GB mortar. It wasn't my first choice but at the time it was my only practical option.
I considered TIG welding this one but I want to avoid visible welds if possible.

Once the trunnion is secured, the vent will be drilled and the mortar will be test fired.

After that, bluing . . .
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Since, like now, I was nowhere near having a proper bed constructed, I built this test bed for the golfball mortar out of whatever wood scraps I had at the time:

To get the bigger tube to sit properly in the bed, first I had to open up the notches. 1/8" farther back and 1/8" deeper to accommodate the larger diameter trunnion (1.250" vs. 1.125").
Then bevel the inside edges for the butt to clear, and finally shave off the wedge to get the correct 45° elevation. Overbuilt in the beginning so opening it up wasn't a problem.

I will have to plug and redrill the holes for the trunnion strap screws, since they had to be moved farther out to clear.

I used #12 stainless screws in the straps. I wasn't sure what to expect, so I wanted to make damn sure that even if this thing flipped, it would stay bolted in.
Not a problem, it handled the golfballs well. But with the poolballs it might buck a little harder.

The oak bed will be bigger, and a lot heavier.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Time to go get a bottle of cold blue . . .

Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks nice Terry!

CD
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice pieces.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#36]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top