Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2016 10:02:45 AM EDT
Why do people do that? I have seen Remington 700 converted, and same with other rifles. That negates the only legal advantage that muzzleloaders have namely no 4473 and FFL to buy it. Not only that but they also destroyed the advantage cartridge firearms have.

I have also seen smokeless powder conversions that is almost always centered around using normal rifle receivers too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Why do people do that? I have seen Remington 700 converted, and same with other rifles. That negates the only legal advantage that muzzleloaders have namely no 4473 and FFL to buy it. Not only that but they also destroyed the advantage cartridge firearms have.

I have also seen smokeless powder conversions that is almost always centered around using normal rifle receivers too.
View Quote

Remington and Savage made them that way.  They aren't conversions.

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
GreenCanoe is right.  They were made that way.  BTW, I've seen an 1860 Henry made into a muzzle loader.  Strange things happen.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
So while we're talking about converting rifles to muzzleloader, has anyone thought of doing this to pre 89 mauser actions? I mean they're not a high pressure action but perhaps they can be converted to smokeless muzzleloaders easily (not to mention it would retain the no FFL advantage since they are pre-89 anyways)
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So while we're talking about converting rifles to muzzleloader, has anyone thought of doing this to pre 89 mauser actions? I mean they're not a high pressure action but perhaps they can be converted to smokeless muzzleloaders easily (not to mention it would retain the no FFL advantage since they are pre-89 anyways)
View Quote

You could but I'm not sure why you'd want to.  The custom work would cost more than just buying any other inline muzzleloader.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I wasn't talking about cost, since people still do them anyhow (like converting a regular Remington 700 to a muzzleloader).
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wasn't talking about cost, since people still do them anyhow (like converting a regular Remington 700 to a muzzleloader).
View Quote

Want to make a newbie's head spin...  check out the 700 ML...   Remington Modified the 700 to make it not a modern firearm,  but still take 700 short action accessories...  and be a muzzle loader...    lost out to the savage, and then savage decided to shut down production...    but they are both excellent inline muzzle loaders (if you get the badger ridge 209 mod for the 700 ML).

Then years later Remington decided to jump back in the muzzle loader market and released the 700 Ultimate which is a normal 700 action with a muzzle loading barrel screwed on...    and thus needs a 4473, where the original 700 ML does not.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got any more info on this conversion?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#8]
https://www.prbullet.com/700.htm

this guy does the conversion it seems. Like I said what's the point especially when the firearm still requires a 4473? I know they exist BTW because they are on the ATF list of muzzleloaders that require a 4473.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://www.prbullet.com/700.htm

this guy does the conversion it seems. Like I said what's the point especially when the firearm still requires a 4473? I know they exist BTW because they are on the ATF list of muzzleloaders that require a 4473.
View Quote

Based on the text on the site you provided the requirement for the 4473 is inconsequential to making a good rifle.  The points he brings up have been something I've noticed in the past.  Modern BP rifles built down to a price rather up to a quality.  I'm a more traditional BP guy but if I was in the market, as an enthusiast of quality firearms, I can see the appeal of his rifle conversion and the 4473 would just be a minor inconvenience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top