Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2016 5:41:38 PM EDT
I've wanted a BP cannon for a while now.  Looking at www.dixiegunworks.com at their 2/3 scale Field cannon.  Seems about the perfect size: big enough to be fitting of a cannon, while small enough to not need a 6 person crew to move around.  Also it's a bit cheaper than the full size .   If I did this, I'd build the carriage myself and possibly even cast my own projectiles (maybe).  Anyone else do this?  Anything I should know or consider that you folks could pass on to me?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
My in laws did just this.  Last September we were shooting 16 oz cast lead balls just over a mile.  It was a hoot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm just finishing building mine.  Its a 1/10 scale bronze 24-pound Naval gun.  About 52 caliber.  : )

Rob
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My in laws did just this.  Last September we were shooting 16 oz cast lead balls just over a mile.  It was a hoot.
View Quote

Did they do the carriage themselves?  I'd love to see pics
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. FIL is quite the craftsman woodworker.  I will dig up some pics and post momentarily.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Cannon on right is a 1/2 size.  Other is 2/3 as I recall.
In my opinion the 1/2 size was best.  It shot the golf ball sized 1 lb lead balls.  Larger cannon used pool ball sized projectiles.
Rick
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Those carriages are awesome.  You weren't kidding about him being a great wood worker!  That's actually something I've been debating: the 1/2 ves the 2/3.  Obviously the 1/2 will be cheaper, more portable, and shoot more readily available projectiles, but I guess I figured that if I was going to get a cannon, it would need to be something a little more sizable.  If you're going to get a cannon, then get a CANNON!  Is there anything else that pulled you more towards the 1/2 vs the 2/3?
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice cannons.   I see he designed the 2/3 truck, if that's the correct term, differently than the 1/2.  I like the lines of the 1/2 scale truck better but the 2/3 looks stronger.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Those carriages are awesome.  You weren't kidding about him being a great wood worker!  That's actually something I've been debating: the 1/2 ves the 2/3.  Obviously the 1/2 will be cheaper, more portable, and shoot more readily available projectiles, but I guess I figured that if I was going to get a cannon, it would need to be something a little more sizable.  If you're going to get a cannon, then get a CANNON!  Is there anything else that pulled you more towards the 1/2 vs the 2/3?
View Quote

I liked the size, portability velocity and range on the 1/2. Plus we had better projectiles available for the 1/2. (Molded lead cannon balls vs old pool balls.)  You would need a serious source for lead to cast 2/3 size cannon balls. My in laws had not yet invested in a mold for the 2/3. BIL has an industrial grade furnace and casting set up that helps greatly in the process.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I liked the size, portability velocity and range on the 1/2. Plus we had better projectiles available for the 1/2. (Molded lead cannon balls vs old pool balls.)  You would need a serious source for lead to cast 2/3 size cannon balls. My in laws had not yet invested in a mold for the 2/3. BIL has an industrial grade furnace and casting set up that helps greatly in the process.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha, makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:11:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a few. There's pictures here in another cannon thread, if you're curious. The most of mine are full scale. Some aren't. The smallest I have is just under 1/4" bore and about 6" tall, the largest is 5.82" bore and 57" wheels.

The tube you speak of is made by Hern iron works, and I'd bet it's less expensive to buy it from them than Dixie.

Your 6 man estimate to move more than a few yards is off. Think 6 horses! I use a Polaris. I don't get along with horses!

For the smaller bore pieces I have cast my own projectiles out of zinc. Lead usually ends up being too heavy, and overpressuring artillery is, well, risky. Risky on a scale that exceeds say, an M1a blowing up. My 12lb. pieces use 2.5 pounds of powder per shot, to give an idea of magnitude.

Beware! Artillery can be addicting!

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 4:59:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Only small ones, I have built a few though, .50cal

What I want to learn more about, is the legality of building breech loading cannons.. I know you can't just build one legally like you can a muzzle loaded cannon, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Only small ones, I have built a few though, .50cal

<a href="http://s684.photobucket.com/user/Ripper_XX/media/DSCF3987.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv210/Ripper_XX/DSCF3987.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s684.photobucket.com/user/Ripper_XX/media/DSCF3987.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv210/Ripper_XX/DSCF3986.jpg</a>

What I want to learn more about, is the legality of building breech loading cannons.. I know you can't just build one legally like you can a muzzle loaded cannon, but that's about it.
View Quote

Those are very cool, I've been meaning to buy one of those Pocket Cannons to play with, I think I'll order one today
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Try the North-South Skirmish Association.  They shoot artillery competitively, and have some real experts.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a small 50 cal one that was given to me as a groomsman's gift. It was milled and handmade by the groom.

Yes it is functional
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#15]
There are several Rev War Artillery reenactor groups in NY (probably F&I, War of 1812, and Civil War reenactors also); I would urge you to contact one of them.  Hang out with them, maybe join them; they will almost definitely be willing to help you decide what you want, how historically accurate you want to be, how to operate one safely, and where to get "stuff".

I have two full sized replicas of British Light Infantry 3 Pounders.  One was made by Cannon Ltd, Coolville OH, (now out of business), they made the barrel and carriage.  The other tube came from Gilmore Ordnance in Ohio and the previous owner made the carriage.  Making a carriage is not easy; think carefully about your skills, time, and dedication.

You do need to think about feeding them, my Cannon Ltd 3 Pounder has a sub caliber bore of 2.5 inches and uses 3 oz charges of cannon grade, 2FA, or 1Fg powder; the other is a full 3 inch bore and uses 4 oz charges of the same powder.  They can get expensive.

They are a blast though, we shoot ours in the backyard for special events (New Year's, Christmas, birthdays, when people come over...).  My two guns are part of our reenactor unit, the 3rd New Hampshire Regiment; we are in the process of gaining Artillery Company status with the Continental Line this year and expect to be at Old Sturbridge Village and Fort St John's, Quebec in August.

Here's a photo of the two guns in battery (the near gun is from Cannon Ltd.):

And one of the muzzle blast:

Yes, the girl is my niece and she's wearing ear and eye protection.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a friend who has a full scale 10 lb Parrott rifle. I get to play with it, we use 1/2 lb for blank shots !
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There are several Rev War Artillery reenactor groups in NY (probably F&I, War of 1812, and Civil War reenactors also); I would urge you to contact one of them.  Hang out with them, maybe join them; they will almost definitely be willing to help you decide what you want, how historically accurate you want to be, how to operate one safely, and where to get "stuff".

I have two full sized replicas of British Light Infantry 3 Pounders.  One was made by Cannon Ltd, Coolville OH, (now out of business), they made the barrel and carriage.  The other tube came from Gilmore Ordnance in Ohio and the previous owner made the carriage.  Making a carriage is not easy; think carefully about your skills, time, and dedication.

You do need to think about feeding them, my Cannon Ltd 3 Pounder has a sub caliber bore of 2.5 inches and uses 3 oz charges of cannon grade, 2FA, or 1Fg powder; the other is a full 3 inch bore and uses 4 oz charges of the same powder.  They can get expensive.

They are a blast though, we shoot ours in the backyard for special events (New Year's, Christmas, birthdays, when people come over...).  My two guns are part of our reenactor unit, the 3rd New Hampshire Regiment; we are in the process of gaining Artillery Company status with the Continental Line this year and expect to be at Old Sturbridge Village and Fort St John's, Quebec in August.

Here's a photo of the two guns in battery (the near gun is from Cannon Ltd.):

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u505/airforcemajor1/Two%20gun%20battery_zpsimuerslb.jpg  

And one of the muzzle blast:

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u505/airforcemajor1/Retrofiring.jpg

Yes, the girl is my niece and she's wearing ear and eye protection.
View Quote

My GOD that is beautiful.

I have always wanted a coehorn mortar.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll stick to my 3 pounders!

ETA:  I have a friend who has a full scale 10 lb Parrott rifle. I get to play with it, we use 1/2 lb for blank shots !
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't have one, but I was recently in a random Bar in the Black HIlls of SD when the owner comes up says "lets go shoot the cannon"

Didn't know this guy from Adam but he rolls out a little cannon and starts to launch golf balls across the pond.

Very awesome. If I ever have more land, I'd defiantly get one of those.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I would go with a small cannon (like a mountain gun) in full size rather than a large cannon in reduced size.  Anything in reduced size is just a model.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's mine, launches golf balls out past a mile with a 2 ounce charge.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a beer can mortar and learned last year that it's bore is too big. The excess windage made it very hard to hit a pallet at about 60 yards.  I had overs, unders, left and right but never smack onto the pallet.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Would one or two wraps of duct tape solve that problem?
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I want one to mount on a sail boat...

Aka swivelgun

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top