Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2015 7:51:22 PM EDT
Remington 1858 8” w/Howell 45 Colt conversion cylinder

I love single action thumb busters.  I always have.  I have 3 1895 Nagant revolvers that I love to shoot and reload.  I can’t explain why.  I am not necessarily fascinated with cowboys or gunfights.  I do enjoy a good cowboy movie.  Maybe I’ve watched too many Clint Eastwood flicks.  

I am especially fascinated with civil war era black powder revolvers.  I love the history of them.  But sadly I hate black powder.  I do not enjoy the mess of cleaning or the PIA of loading.  But, there is the gun nut in me.  

This whole odyssey started when I was given 107 rounds of 45 colt brass from a friend who owns a Taurus Judge.  Now I have brass that I have no gun for.  Well that means I need dies just in case I need to reload this caliber for somebody.  Now I have brass and no gun and 'just in case' dies.  We all know whats next.

So, like every gun nuts, enter the 1858 Remington revolver.  It is a 44 cal (.451 ball) black powder 6 shot revolver that was revolutionary in that it had a top strap were as the Colts of the time did not.  This made the frame stronger on the revolver and allows for conversions cylinders to be uses.  It also allows quick changing of cylinders for faster reloading (watch Pale Rider final scene)

I started with a Pietta 1858 Remington 8” replica that was purchased from Cabela’s for $197.99 delivered. ($219.00 on sale, $25.00 of coupon and free shipping).   I also own the 5 ½” version with the same deal (remember the gun nut thing)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/pietta-model-1858-new-army-44-caliber-black-powder-revolver/731695.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state=searchForm%26N=0%26fsch=true%26Ntk=AllProducts%26Ntt=black+powder+revolh

Because it is a black powder weapon the revolver does not require an FFL transfer or registration.   The revolver can be delivered right to your door. (well there is a few states where you can't get it delivered and why you live there I do not know)

Next I added a Howell 45 Colt conversion cylinder for $189.00 ($229.00 w/$30.00 off discount).  The conversion cylinder also does not require an FLL transfer.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/292272/howell-old-west-conversions-conversion-cylinder-44-caliber-pietta-1858-remington-steel-frame-black-powder-revolver-45-colt-long-colt-6-round

So I for roughly $387.00 I have a 6 shot single action revolver that shoots metallic cartridges in 45 colt.

The next step was to develop a 45 colt cowboy action load for the revolver.

This is accomplished with standard 45 colt brass, large pistol primer, 200 gr lead bullets and 6 gr of Trail Boss.  This is a very easy round to load.  At 6 gr, the load is in the middle of the pressure scale for this round and Trail Boss.

So now for the meat and potatoes of this review.  How did it shoot?

Well first I will tell you that vary rarely does a firearm project work 100% and better than expected the first time you shoot it.  This was one of these rare times when the results were not only better than expected but phenomenally better.  I am no pistolaro when it comes to using a revolver.  I can hit at what’s in the sights but I’m by no means anything above average.

That being said, I was able to shoot this pistol as good as my best automatics on my best day.  Point of aim was on the horizontal with this load.

I shot at 15, 20, 30 and 50 feet, both single and two handed (using left thumb to cock hammer).  I shot slow and deliberate and fast as I could cock it.  Here are the results with details on picture.

This ammo was perfectly at point of aim at 15 to 20 feet.

Not only was the pistol accurate, but there was a slight ‘swooshing’ sound as the primer ignited and the bullet left the bore as well as a tiny puff of smoke.  Not enough smoke to be annoying like black powder, but just enough to remind you that you were shooting a civil war era design.  There is almost no recoil so it would be perfect for the recoil sensitive shooter.  Then there is the whole tilting the pistol back to cock it when shooting single handed.  It definitely has a OK Corral feel, or at least what I envision based on movies.  

So would I carry this and or use it past a range queen.  Well the 5 ½ inch model could certainly be carried, but the 8 inch model could only be carried open.  In reality both sizes are best suited for open carry and really would be carried while hunting.  I plan on taking the 8 inch model with me on my next deer hunt and hope a coyote shows up at the right time.

I would have no issues carrying this for a back up for hunting or for general protection.  While the bullet is slow’ish’, it is large and will hit with some punch.

Overall not bad for a replica blackpowder revolver that shoots metallic cartridges and flies under the radar.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice write up and pictures!
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice write up and pictures!
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Well now I want one :)
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I went with the 5-shot conversion cylinder instead of the 6-shot. The advantages are that the chambers are not canted, the webs between the chambers are thicker (making the cylinder stronger), and there are safety notches between the chambers. The gun can therefore safely be carried with all 5 chambers loaded and the hammer resting in a safety notch. (With a 6-shot cylinder, you need to carry the gun with the hammer down on an empty chamber, effectively making it also a 5-shot.)
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went with the 5-shot conversion cylinder instead of the 6-shot. The advantages are that the chambers are not canted, the webs between the chambers are thicker (making the cylinder stronger), and there are safety notches between the chambers. The gun can therefore safely be carried with all 5 chambers loaded and the hammer resting in a safety notch. (With a 6-shot cylinder, you need to carry the gun with the hammer down on an empty chamber, effectively making it also a 5-shot.)
View Quote

Same here.....

Also, the 5 shot cylinder allows you to shoot the wider rimmed .45 Schofield round as well. I have had my conversion cylinder for a couple of years and I have never had any problems with it:

I have a trio of the Pietta 1858's and the conversion cylinder works great in all three:

I also have a Uberti 3rd Model Dragoon with a Kirst conversion cylinder:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top