Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2015 9:34:25 PM EDT
I'm looking for my first muzzleloader. A lot of people have recommended the T/C hawken to me. It's nice but I really like the look of the longer rifles. I was looking at the traditions kentucky rifle. Has anyone had any experience with these? Are traditions rifles good? I was looking at the pedersoli also but it has a 1:48 twist. If I'm going to get a long full stock rifle I want  the 1:66 twist. Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends upon what you want to do. In my experience, the 1:66 slow twist is best for round ball/patch combinations. Sabots, conicals, maxiballs, and the like do better in a 1:48 setting, at least when it comes to accuracy and ease of loading.

So, if you are looking for a device to continue hunting season for another week or so, get the faster twist and use modern projectiles. If you like shooting traditionally, esp. with a flintlock, go with the slower twist. However, this is personal opinion. When it comes to BP muzzleloaders, there are so many variables, you have to figure it out for yourself, and find what works best for you.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Just looking to take it to the range and have fun. Not looking to hunt with it anytime soon.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Every muzzleloader deer I have taken has been with either .45 or .50 PRB.  Not positive of the exact count right now but it is over 20 of them.  A well placed round ball will do excellent at taking deer.  While you may have a little more range with other projectiles there is nothing wrong with round ball for deer.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Traditions is GTG.
Great guns at value prices, and great C/S if you ever need it.
More than pleased with the 5 various rifles among my hunting buddies.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just looking to take it to the range and have fun. Not looking to hunt with it anytime soon.
View Quote

An old post but a new reply.

I wanted the same as you, a basic rifle just to take out and shoot. After many years of reloading centerfire I wanted to play with black powder.
Picked up a Traditions Deer Stalker (I think that is correct model) and have been having a great time with it. I am getting use to the rythums of shooting slow. Its actually quite fun.

BTW, my first trip to the range to get use to the rifle...first five shots at 25 yards made one big ragged hole in the bull's eye. Not bad for the factory sights. (No scope). This rifle has a very nice trigger on it, light and clean break.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

great C/S if you ever need it.
View Quote

NOT true for me.

Avoid Traditions at all costs.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

NOT true for me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOT true for me.

How about expanding on this? As an owner of a Traditions Vortek StrikerFire which just shot two complete loads at once I wouldn't mind hearing your experience. I called Traditions on Monday to ask if they thought I damaged my rifle but there gunsmith was at the shot show for the week. I hope to hear back from them next week.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How about expanding on this? As an owner of a Traditions Vortek StrikerFire which just shot two complete loads at once I wouldn't mind hearing your experience. I called Traditions on Monday to ask if they thought I damaged my rifle but there gunsmith was at the shot show for the week. I hope to hear back from them next week.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOT true for me.

I'll try to give you the quick version.

Dec 2009 bought a 50 cal mountain rifle directly from them

Aug 2010 Bolster drum threads failed and nipple blew out. Also broke the tumbler in the lock. Returned to Traditions and they fixed it. NO PROBLEM yet.

Aug 2011 Discovered leaking around the bolster threads and returned rifle to them before nipple would blow out again. Customer service called me to say they couldn't find a problem. I talked to the gunsmith on the phone who told me "It's normal, they all do that". A stream of water would blow out of the threads w/o the nipple plugged when I pumped water through the barrel with a patched cleaning rod. They refused to repair my rifle and sent it back to me.

Lightly used the gun for next 4  years paying close attention to the nipple & bolster. Replaced the nipple whenever it showed signs of thread wear, and made sure they were seated, but not over tightened.

JUL 2015 New-ish (<50 shots) Nipple blew out and broke lock again. Returned on another RMA. CS called and said it would not be repaired under warranty because I refused to let them repair the gun in 2011. That gunsmith had left the company, but his notes said it was all on me. Liar. They could repair the bolster for a price. However, since they don't manufacture this model any longer, so they couldn't fix the lock.

I've had it with them. Will not even consider a used Traditions product.

BTW I got the Lock repaired by Earl Kathan http://flintlockrepair.com and am very pleased with his work.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top