Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2015 3:05:38 PM EDT
I recently was at Cabela's and saw a Pedersoli Howdah marked down so I decided to get my first black powder firearm.  It was nice not having to wait a few months for a tax stamp to get a short barreled shotgun.  There's quite a bit of information online but I am posting my setup in case anyone else is curious how to shoot it (or if you muzzle loading guys have any tips).

Here is the gun, it's also on sale online currently: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pedersoli-Howdah-Hunter-Ga-Pistol/740261.uts

I also picked up a pack of #11 Remington percussion caps, the howdah kit and a black powder cleaning kit.  The howdah kit comes with a powder flask and powder measure which are both necessary.  I only found substitute powders at Cabela's, but I wanted the oldschool black powder so I had to order it online.  I used Graf and Sons and ordered some Goex black powder.  For a 20g shotgun, FFg (or 2F) is recommended.  I've seen some people try FFFg since the barrels are short, but I just got FFg.  Anyone have any comments on powder for short barreled shotguns?

20 gauge is .615 inches so I went to Track of the Wolf and ordered some .610 musket balls and 0.010 lubricated shooting patches.  These fit tightly in the bore but were not difficult to ram down.  I also got some .600 musket balls but have not tried shooting them yet.  I am not set up for lead casting but if I continue with large bore black powder guns (which is likely since this is addicting) I probably will cast my own to save money.  I also ordered 00 Buckshot (.330) and some #6 birdshot from MidwayUSA.

I also got over powder A cards, over shot B cards, and the thick fiber C cards.  The loading sequence is explained on the site and I modified it for the Howdah:

Shotgun Loading instructions:

1. Charge your shotgun with appropriate charge of FFg black powder. (27 grains is the official recommendation for the Howdah but this is really low.  On Track of the Wolf they say 20 gauge can be 68 grains.)
2. Seat a .125" thick over powder “A" card firmly on the powder charge. This thick card seals the bore, and keeps the powder dry.
3. Insert a thick fiber “C" wad and press it in place. (I soaked the wads in sunflower oil before using them).
4. Pour a measured lead shot charge into the shotgun. (Or if using a musket ball, wrap it in a shooting patch and ram it.  I don't think you need the fiber wad if you are using a musket ball, correct?)
5. Seat an overshot “B" card last. This stiff card holds the shot in place, but won't leave a hole in your pattern. (not needed if using a musket ball).
6. Cap your nipple only when on the firing line or in your hunting field.

I loaded 30 grains of powder and tried both the musket balls and buckshot.  Like I said before, 30 grains is hardly anything and recoil was less than a 9mm pistol.  If anyone is looking to get their first blackpowder firearm it isn't that complicated but is really fun.  I have C&Rs, NFA, and reload but this is like starting over shooting again.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#1]
That makes my hand hurt just looking at it.

For buckshot, I would recommend #1 or #3.  #1 is .30", and will stack side by side in a 20 gauge.

#3 is .25", and will stack in 3s.

#2 is a bit rare, .27", but it will stack well also..

Buckshot would work well for 2 legged targets, ball would work great on tigers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
So what happens when you load it with truball from a shotgun slug?

Wish I would have purchased the double barrel 12 gauge rifle .72 they had in the bargain cave some years back.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That makes my hand hurt just looking at it.

For buckshot, I would recommend #1 or #3.  #1 is .30", and will stack side by side in a 20 gauge.

#3 is .25", and will stack in 3s.

#2 is a bit rare, .27", but it will stack well also..

Buckshot would work well for 2 legged targets, ball would work great on tigers.
View Quote

Heh, that's exactly what someone in the store said when I bought it.  Recoil was so mild with 30 grains of powder that I tried a few shots one handed.  I think my suppressed P226 kicks harder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top