Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2015 3:09:27 PM EDT
I have my eye on an antique muzzle loader (early 18th century reworked early-mid 19th century-pre 1850).  What gives me pause though is that the lock mechanism is missing, all other parts are present but the lock work and plate is completely absent.  How much would it cost to have a new one made and fitted?  It needs to be made as a drop in replacement as if I get this I will not tolerate modifications to the stock or any other parts.  I will also need engraving and inlay work done so that the new parts match the work done on the old.  There is no nipple, just a hole so it appears it was still in flintlock configuration, I would like to keep it that way.  About how much would this work run me, and who could do it?

Maker is unknown, but the original barrel Has a crown v proof.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The location of the hole in the barrel is not a true indication of whether the rifle was originally a flint
or a percussion. The caplock came about after the flint, & almost all of the caplocks were designed
to work in original flint rifles. If you find the right guy, about $300.00 might cover parts & labor for
your lock of choice & fitting, with no modifications to the stock. Custom engraving on the new lock
of whichever type you choose can add a lot to that estimate.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The location of the hole in the barrel is not a true indication of whether the rifle was originally a flint
or a percussion. The caplock came about after the flint, & almost all of the caplocks were designed
to work in original flint rifles. If you find the right guy, about $300.00 might cover parts & labor for
your lock of choice & fitting, with no modifications to the stock. Custom engraving on the new lock
of whichever type you choose can add a lot to that estimate.
View Quote

The barrel is 18th century so it was almost certainly a flintlock (I'm assuming a wheel lock, matchlock, or snaphaunce was unlikely) I just meant that no modifications are apparent that would prevent it from still being a flintlock.

Any suggestions on where to check for a smith?

Any rough guesses what engraving and inlay might run, or know anyone who specializes in it?
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Try this forum:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php

There are a lot of guys there that do what you are requesting, repairing original guns, fitting new locks, engraving and most do all three.

I have a friend locally who has fitted antiques with new locks when they were absent and I have inspected the results.  It does work but takes care to find the right lock and fit it without altering the gun more than necessary, and to apply the proper finish to the external lock parts. The cost will generally depend on the condition of the gun and how much fitting is required. Cost of the actual lock will depend on the lock needed.  Check that forum I listed above, post your question in the subforum Antique Gun Collecting or Gun Building.
Good luck
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of inlay are you thinking of?  You said No mod to the stock....  You can get Siler locks with blank lock plates that could be fitted to match your lock inlet.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe one of these will work.  Worst case, as noted above, and you'll find them on this linked page, there are "blank" locks that are just rectangular in shape, meant for fitting to an existing inlet.

lots of locks
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What kind of inlay are you thinking of?  You said No mod to the stock....  You can get Siler locks with blank lock plates that could be fitted to match your lock inlet.
View Quote

Gold (or possibly brass, I'm not sure).  The original has lots of inlaid scrollwork on the barrel, I assume the lock was the same way,
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Gold (or possibly brass, I'm not sure).  The original has lots of inlaid scrollwork on the barrel, I assume the lock was the same way,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I see...well post pics up already!
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd love to but I don't own it yet.  I'm trying to gauge how viable restoring this is against my budget before I buy it, or not.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Jim Chambers has a flintlock kit that is assembled by you.  You can cut the lockplate (flat rectangular bar) to mate with the missing lock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top