Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2015 3:58:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#1]
We used to have one at squirrel camp. It would take 1lb of black powder, but I forget what they used for wadding. Maybe a piece of old pillow case cut up.?
I will say this... We never have found a single golf ball that was shot out of it .  Would like to know the elevation they got to though.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Aluminum foil
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Flour gently tamped on top of the load works great.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Flour gently tamped on top of the load works great.
View Quote

Big fireball?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#5]
 Originally posted by Deanventure
                                   Aluminum foil  
View Quote

Aluminum foil. Pour your powder in a square sheet of it, roll it, pack it hard inside the barrel. The harder you pack it with out tearing the aluminum foil, the loader the report will be.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#8]
My barrel is 13.5" x 0.85". Bore just under 1". Overall it is shy of 19". With the aluminum foil I roll up 3 tablespoons of FFF Black Power. No projectile.
If your shooting it at night, try mixing salt, iron filings, steel filings or copper filings. Each one will add color to the flash.
I shoot a scaled down version of a Civil War Dahlgren canon.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I love the recoiling system on that.  The whole styling of of it reminds me of the earliest breach loaders like the ones always depicted in the bugs bunny cartoons on the WW1 era ships.  

How much did that sucker cost?  PM me if you would rather.   NM, I found it online thanks to the sticker on your mount.   That's not a bad deal at all.

I have a hunk of SS about 5" in dia and about 13" long.  I've been itching to turn that into a golf ball mortar or even a howitzer.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

lol, I put the link to the company in the post too, could have saved yourself the effort of a search.

A hunk of SS that big, you can do a soda can mortar.  

I originally tried to order one from CannonThunder.com

http://www.cannonthunder.com/SodaCan.html

But they only take orders by mail, and did not respond to several email attempts to contact after I sent the check.
They never cashed it, or acknowledged it in any way, so I got the golf ball one instead from American Cannon.

If you look at the page I just linked, it has the finished ID / OD / powder pocket info for you to machine it.
Should make one hell of a boom.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NM, I found it online thanks to the sticker on your mount.

I have a hunk of SS about 5" in dia and about 13" long.  I've been itching to turn that into a golf ball mortar or even a howitzer.

lol, I put the link to the company in the post too, could have saved yourself the effort of a search.

A hunk of SS that big, you can do a soda can mortar.  

I originally tried to order one from CannonThunder.com

http://www.cannonthunder.com/SodaCan.html

But they only take orders by mail, and did not respond to several email attempts to contact after I sent the check.
They never cashed it, or acknowledged it in any way, so I got the golf ball one instead from American Cannon.

If you look at the page I just linked, it has the finished ID / OD / powder pocket info for you to machine it.
Should make one hell of a boom.

LOL, you'd think I was 9 years old on a sugar high and reading too fast to have missed your link.  

My only issue is I don't know what ss I have.   It was a hunk of scrap I picked up at a clients specialty steel mill.  It was literally in the weeds near where I parked to work for the day.  My contact said I could take a couple small pieces but just don't make it a regular thing.    They had numerous buildings ; consutrode, heat treating with oil or water quench tanks, grinding where they mill off the rough scale into nice need commercial sized bars or billets.  Some were 40' long and a foot or more wide.  I'm thinking what I got was an end piece after being finished to diameter and cut to length.  My second piece is about  9" long and about 3/4" diameter.   Not quite fat enough for a good trunnion.  

I have a machinist friend who told me to bring it over and use his lathe.    One of these days i'll take some drills and a boring bar to it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 2:39:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't bother with wadding as such. Filler, perhaps. You can use foil to form a cartridge.

Here's a pretty good description

Some people use a filler, such as flour, for various reasons. I don't in most of mine, but the 12lb 1857 and 24lb howitzer both require flour on top of the powder, or the rounds will be short enough to tumble down the barrel. So that's why I use flour in those two guns. I think it makes the muzzle blast a bit larger, and may make the report louder, but I know it will dust the gun crew quite well, if firing into the wind! Theoretically, though, it could create wallpaper paste in the bore when wet swabbing. I've never encountered this myself, nor witnessed it, but I suppose it's possible.

I typically don't use a plastic bag for the powder, but I have stored rounds in foil for a period of time and was surprised how fast black powder will eat through foil. So if you intend to store any rounds for more than a couple days, the baggie might have some merit.

Oh, and if you want a fireball, cut a couple pads of steel wool into a rough powder and use that as a filler. Just don't fire it during dry weather.

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wouldn't bother with wadding as such. Filler, perhaps. You can use foil to form a cartridge.

Some people use a filler, such as flour, for various reasons. I don't in most of mine, but the 12lb 1857 and 24lb howitzer both require flour on top of the powder, or the rounds will be short enough to tumble down the barrel. So that's why I use flour in those two guns. I think it makes the muzzle blast a bit larger, and may make the report louder, but I know it will dust the gun crew quite well, if firing into the wind! Theoretically, though, it could create wallpaper paste in the bore when wet swabbing. I've never encountered this myself, nor witnessed it, but I suppose it's possible.

I typically don't use a plastic bag for the powder, but I have stored rounds in foil for a period of time and was surprised how fast black powder will eat through foil. So if you intend to store any rounds for more than a couple days, the baggie might have some merit.

Oh, and if you want a fireball, cut a couple pads of steel wool into a rough powder and use that as a filler. Just don't fire it during dry weather.

Cpt. Redleg
View Quote

Cannons?

That requires pics, please.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Cannons?

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cpt. Redleg

Cannons?

TRG

/\ "Dixie", 12lb Napoleon. Steel, rather than bronze. Got tired of the maintenance associated with bronze, so all I own are now steel or iron.

Firing, 1.5lb cannon powder. No flour on this one. Didn't have to stick to any even regs, and 1.5lb will form a long enough round to not tumble when loaded.

3lb rev war gun

1841 howitzer, old picture, before it got disassembled for repairs

That's a few of them, anyway. There's a Parrot that I may finish one day, a mortar that's the weekend project, and some smallscale ones I apparently haven't uploaded photos of yet.

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:33:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
AWESOME.

Can you explain what you mean by a long enough round not to tumble?
View Quote

This.

Awesome.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't answer for him but I read that as to not roll over in the bore putting the projectile behind the powder, or not strictly holding the projectile toward the big hole.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:00:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.

Awesome.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AWESOME.

Can you explain what you mean by a long enough round not to tumble?

This.

Awesome.

TRG

Sure. At some events, such as anything to do with national park service, or any demos that follow the NPS rules, you're relegated to 3oz of powder to each inch of bore diameter. On the 12lb guns, for instance, with a 4.62" bore, this limits you to just under 14oz of powder. The round, when rolled with such a charge, resembles a hockey puck. It's shorter in length than its diameter. If memory serves, the column of powder at 4.62" diameter using 13.5oz cannon powder is just under 4" in length. I'd have to pull my notes to be sure, but it's mighty short. It can tumble down the bore.

It PROBABLY wouldn't matter,  BUT if it were to tumble, and be rammed home with what had been designed as the cartridge base when the round was rolled now oriented towards the touch hole, that could present a problem. The base of the round is usually unceremoniously just sort of twisted closed and beaten flat as the first step in making a cartridge, and is rather thicker than the rest of the cartridge as a result. When you use the prick, a brass wire pointed at one end and used to puncture the powder charge, it could, potentially, not puncture the cartridge properly and lead to a misfire in such a case. Misfires, of course, are a pain in the ass, and rather a nail biting experience.  People have lost arms on these things, and I'd rather not join their ranks. Be damned embarrassing to have survived all those years in the modern artillery, only to lose an arm to an antique at a demonstration in peacetime! Might be a hoot for the crowd, though.

Similarly, it might require more effort to punch a hole in the cartridge, and I don't like having a hand over the vent any longer than necessary. The flame just from the vent is quite impressive by itself. I wouldn't hold my hand over it and expect it to emerge unharmed. So somebody having to monkey arm  the prick because the round tumbled and now we're trying to punch through a wad of foil just seems needlessly risky.

By adding a filler, as I say when called for I usually use flour as a filler, the cartridge is lengthened and exceeds in length its own diameter, so it won't just sort of tumble down the bore.

That's all applicable to blank rounds. If firing a projectile, and if using fixed ammunition, where the propellant and projectile are attached, tumbling on loading isn't an issue, in most cases. It could be an issue potentially if you were to load separate propellant and projectile, though, and in that case, and for the same reason, I'd use a filler with the propellant. A misfire on a live round is even more harrowing.

Hopefully I haven't just made things more confusing!

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:50:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Here's a few frames from a night shoot I did. My photographer didn't quite keep the camera on point in the dark, so it's cropped a bit odd, and I haven't the best movie editing skills on the planet. But it gives an idea the amount of fire we're talking about. If memory serves, this was a  NPS regulation rounds, and would have included flour.

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the explanation of the round 'tumbling'.  Interesting stuff.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/Cpt_Redleg/cannonrs_zpsbf2bf5c6.jpg

/\ "Dixie", 12lb Napoleon. Steel, rather than bronze. Got tired of the maintenance associated with bronze, so all I own are now steel or iron.

Firing, 1.5lb cannon powder. No flour on this one. Didn't have to stick to any even regs, and 1.5lb will form a long enough round to not tumble when loaded.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/Cpt_Redleg/DixieClayvillegroundeffect2_zps9159ff52.jpg

3lb rev war gun
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/Cpt_Redleg/rev%20war%203%20pdr_zpsnwcy4pnf.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/Cpt_Redleg/184%20field%20howitzer_zpshksxgcev.jpg

That's a few of them, anyway. There's a Parrot that I may finish one day, a mortar that's the weekend project, and some smallscale ones I apparently haven't uploaded photos of yet.

Cpt. Redleg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cpt. Redleg

Cannons?

TRG

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/Cpt_Redleg/DixieClayvillegroundeffect2_zps9159ff52.jpg

3lb rev war gun
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/Cpt_Redleg/rev%20war%203%20pdr_zpsnwcy4pnf.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/Cpt_Redleg/184%20field%20howitzer_zpshksxgcev.jpg

Cpt. Redleg

Thank you for the explanation.  Also, how does one go about procuring a 12 lb Napoleon as an example.  Would be cool to have one, but I imagine very costly.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thank you for the explanation.  Also, how does one go about procuring a 12 lb Napoleon as an example.  Would be cool to have one, but I imagine very costly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cpt. Redleg

Cannons?

TRG

3lb rev war gun

Cpt. Redleg

I'm far from a SME, but what little research I've done says you kind of answered your own question.....break out the benjamins.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Forgot to post this

Took out the 18" barrel, put in the 7" barrel. Took it off the base, and just stood it up.

2 ounces Skirmish #1 Cannon powder in an aluminum foil casing.  Turns out the handle of a d-cell Maglite is a perfect fit for the diameter of the powder chamber.

https://vimeo.com/135510828

View Quote

You're making me anxious for the rest of my stuff to get here. I received my cannon barrel today, but the base is behind it, somewhere between SLC and here. I wont get it until Monday. That's probably when I'll get my 50 ft roll of fuse too. Nobody local had any BP in stock, so I bought a pound of Pyrodex FFG equivalent. I'll have to order some Goex FG online. I have two 5 gallon buckets of golf balls, so that should get me by in the "ammo" department.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cpt. Redleg

Cannons?

TRG

3lb rev war gun

Cpt. Redleg

Yes, they can get a bit spendy! How one goes about getting one varies. If you've access to a machine shop with a large enough lathe, and a bug chunk of steel or bronze, you could make one yourself. Bronze would be a little dicey when it comes to the trunions. I'm actually not entirely sure how you would deal with that, to be honest. If you've access to a foundry, you could cast one, again, out of bronze, steel, or iron. I have access to neither a foundry nor a machine shop, however, so I've never gotten a chance to make my own barrel, much as I'd like to.Failing that, buying the parts and assembling it yourself is an option. Trail Rock Ordnance is one of my favorites, Hern makes a decent tube, though they're iron with a steel sleeve and some people don't prefer that. Aside from necessitating a vent liner, I've never seen a problem with that style. In fact, I think a Hern tube won the artillery competition at camp Grayling a few years back. Steen and South Bend Replicas are also good sources. Both make all steel tubes, last I checked, as well as bronze, if you're a glutton for punishment. Also, you can check at some of the civil war reenactments. You'll sometimes find cannon for sale from people leaving that hobby.

Proper wheels are tricky. They're available from many places, but they're big and shipping gets tricky. For a full scale piece, the wheels will be 57" diameter, and dished. Wagon wheels will work, but if you're trying to make a period correct piece, they won't be proper. The Amish have taken recently to making cannon wheels, so if you live near any, go talk to them. Some will still refuse to do it based on the premise that they're going on a weapon, even if it is an obsolete weapon. Others don't care. Seems to be some variance there, and I don't know enough about the Amish to know why. Worth a look, though.

Mostly, search the internet, do some research and keep your eyes open. Be prepared to open the ol' wallet. Also, if you're just looking for something to play with for fun, there are often deals to be found in either mountain howitzers, or sub-scale pieces. 3/4 scale being most common. I recently passed on a 3/4 scale Parrot, for instance, for $1000. Still big, still loud, still looks impressive, and usually much less costly. Also easier to store!

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I would use green grass for a filler ,or a piece of bread.
Check out GBO Black powder cannon board . Tons of knowledge and know how over there.

Gary
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Awww I was all excited about my estate sale find until I saw all of those badass cannons on the first page.  I need to get a carriage made for this.

bronze 37" with 1.5" bore,  Its my first cannon did I do ok? I want to have it bored to fit golfballs, barrel wall thickness eyeballed at 3/4" or so, you guys think there is enough thinkness to bore it ?

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I cant wait to get this thing firing
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:21:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 1:36:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Any markings on the bronze barrel? What's the story on it?
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:35:36 AM EDT
[#34]
I got its at an estate sale from a military families house (forgot what rank but he was a general of sorts is what they told me)  He had several smaller cannons in the 50 cal range but this one he either cast himself of had someone cast it for him.  I got the molds for making the sand cast molds with the cannon.  So It doesn't have any markings on it,  mold has his name and "james rifle" written on it which seems to be a generic term for some civil war cannons.  So there is no historic value to this cannon thats why I want to rebore it to golf ball size
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#35]
So need a cannon!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top