Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2015 1:14:22 AM EDT
So I got a BP Traditions Kentucky Pistol kit. I am just getting in to BP and I figured this would be a good project. After reading a few reviews I understood some fitting would be necessary, however my skills are minimal.

I am slowly working on it and it does need more fitting than I first figured. I had to contact Traditions as it did not come with all the screws, and the muzzle end of the wood stock is very ragged.

Can anyone give me any tips or point to any sites that would be helpful? Especially with getting the sights on. They don't even come close to fitting together so I can pound them on.

I have the Birchwood stock and metal finishing kit and this being my first kit I wanted to go the traditional route.

I welcome any suggestions/tips!

Thanks in advance,
Huck
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Try youtube.....  Look for duelist1954.   He builds a longrifle, but the
methods used are the same.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:17:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Dixons book "The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle".
Rifles are the focus but the work is virtually the same.
Great book for any frontstuffer aficianado.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the book info, I will have to pick it up. It is pretty much done, I have to find longer screws to attach the brass nose cap to the bbl, the ones they sent are way too short. It was a good learning experience. I just have to shoot it now...
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I like The Gunsmith of Grenville as a builder's book (I have all three major books).

As for the sights, you may have to get a triangular file and grind one side flat (safe edge).  With that you can enlargen the dovetail for the sight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top