Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2015 7:59:29 PM EDT
After about 9 years of trying, I finally got the recipe to tighten my groups up in my .36 flintlock !

(OK, I know that's a long time.....but, in my defense, I was interrupted by being married for the first
time, building a house, baby being born, eyesight going downhill, moving to another state etc etc)

I started patterning it at about the same time my eyes started getting weaker, & I was never sure if
it was me or my charge/patch type/patch lube/lot of powder (ughhh - Wano). Now, I can focus on
the target, the front sight, & the rear sight as I used to when I was younger. I can't visually "impress"
an aspirin-sized dot on a dime at 50 yards like I used to, but I can keep all 3 in focus. I guess my
targets have to get bigger...like from a dime to a silver dollar size :)

I borrowed a younger friend's eyes today & he was able to shoot 2 different one-hole groups
hand-resting off the bench at 37 yards using a 1" dia. bull with a low 6 hold. I had tried many
different combinations of patch type/patch lube over the years with no success as far as tightening
my groups up. I knew I had to be around .015" thick with the patch, because she was marking it
up perfect. Some fraying around the edges past the ball O.D., which I am guessing was the O.D.
catching fire upon exit from the barrel & hitting free air.

I took some .015" T/C blue & white striped pillow ticking & washed all of the pre-lube out with
Dawn soap. Let them dry. Soaked & impressed half of them with Crisco, & the other half with
Pam cooking spray (purely Olive Oil version) in a can.

The Pam was amazing! Perfect patch....Perfect grouping. I'm guessing it was about .450"
for the 2 group sizes. Green Mountain barrel, recent lot of Go-Ex FFF.

I'm happy! Now I think I will throw a large Siler percussion on it & play with it some more ! :)

ETA: Go-Ex
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Shelly isn't to bad either
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Ha !    :)

I guess I should have known that was coming with a post title like that :)
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 1:22:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Weigh your balls.  Separate them by weight groups.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Weigh your balls.  Separate them by weight groups.
View Quote

And yet another sign that I am getting old !! I can't believe I forgot to do this most basic
thing yet again.... Thanks for reminding me !! :)
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm thinking that PAM has an alcohol carrier.  Do your results change if you give the patches a chance to evaporate?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Good question !  I sprayed them down the night before (1 shot directly on each side of each patch)
& immediately put them in a small ziploc sandwich bag & pushed as much of the air out of the
bag as I could before sealing it. I opened the bag just minutes before loading & shooting.

Now, these were originally old T/C black & white pillow ticking pre-lubed patches. I tried to get
as much of the old lube out of them using Dawn soap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top