Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2015 7:55:42 AM EDT
I came across some Pyrodex ( select Hodgdon )   premium muzzleloading propellant    RS - FFG Equivalent   . It's in a 16oz  container . I know nothing about muzzleloaders. I inherited a CVA .50  old style percussion cap rifle....Owners manuel is long gone. I really don't know what to get for this rifle .. Is this pyrodex black powder equiv ??? Thanks for any advise Wardawg
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it's a black powder subsistute and is volume equivalent.  Most older gun had a max 100 grain charge limit.  If you can't find an on-line manuel be careful.  By the way, black powder shooting is messy, but it's a blast!  Have fun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks... WD
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Also remember that black powder and most all substitutes (Pyrodex included) are hygroscopic and will promote corrosion...  the only non corrosive black-powder equivelent that I know of Blackhorn209.    

My dad, myself, and my brother all stopped shooting pyrodex, tripple seven, etc, and switched to Blackhorn209 (assuming you got 209 ignition)...  without 209 ignition then you have to use pyrodex/trippleseven or others...  I personally like triple seven over pyrodex if I can't use blackhorn209

Hope it helps!

Tom
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:39:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I actually prefer real black powder to subs.  I feel like it's a actually easier to clean.  There is a ton of info on traditional BP shooting.  It runs the gamut of good to bad to useless.

If you don't feel like sorting through the research I'd be happy to tell you the basics.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I actually prefer real black powder to subs.  I feel like it's a actually easier to clean.  There is a ton of info on traditional BP shooting.  It runs the gamut of good to bad to useless.

If you don't feel like sorting through the research I'd be happy to tell you the basics.
View Quote

I agree.  Real black is more consistent when used properly and less corrosive than Pyrodex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top