Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2015 1:53:39 AM EDT
i found a proof mark that i think is belgian circle or oval with elg in it. a few odd questions being this is my very first one. the sideplates, hammers, and all other external metal looks silver plated or somthing. it has the damascus barrels. no screw seems to have ever been turned in its life. no marks at all from slips and theyre even engraved like the side plates, buttplate and a lot of other places. which look silver or something. its fully functional but you can tell its very old. he passed the family story to me that the familys ancestors carried it in their wagon train west back in the day and it was left alone after it was passed down. its not at all rust eaten. you can see the damascus decent. for an old shotgun. one thing thats neat is the 2 hammers have what looks to be fish, swanns or whatevers heads as the hammers along with engraving. its no perfect sg by no means but i like it and have thought about using it. it needs the right  primer nipple and the springs are even still super strong. butplate maybe has a very light rust but nothing im concerned about. ill try to post pics tomorrow thanks for any help at this time before pics. oh yeah and it has a shield on top just behind the stock mount that looks a whole lot like silver. but, i wont be offended if im way off on some things here. please remember this is my 1st one. thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't tell you anything except that that's a beautiful shotgun.  

Good luck finding some useful info.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#3]
In my  gun bbook, it shows the stampings to be english. I have only that so far.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you'll find the E over LG is a Belgian mark.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, but both in the book, english & belgian have it that way. Except belgian has the crown which i thought was odd being england is all about "for the crown" stuff.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:35:30 AM EDT
[#6]
well, i am starting to believe i have somthing that may be worth a little more than i first thought. the more i searched the more i start seeing the prices go up as you see more fancy work on these. i am not saying i have the holy grail but just makes me more anxious to find everything out that i can. i had one guy get ticked on a web forum and i really believe its because i wouldnt sell it before i found out more. one guy tried to trade an original tenn long rifle and may have been worth it or even more woth it but i refused politely. one got irritated because i had found it and he didnt. no joke. i mean come on. i was asking for help and one gets mad at foolish reasons.
anyway, all that being said, i see in the gun blue book of values, in the section of markings it shows that if it had the crown it was belgian and without the crown it was english. at least thats what my gbb says. its last years issue. i like that book. i use it quite often and figure most here do too. i havent cleaned the inside of the barrel yet but plan on it soon. im going to use that foam cleaner. i hope it will be the least evasive. (i think thats the right word to use)
i found out that it uses musket nipples instead of standard black powder styles.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, but both in the book, english & belgian have it that way. Except belgian has the crown which i thought was odd being england is all about "for the crown" stuff.
View Quote

Belgium has had a monarchy since it's inception as an independent country in 1830. That's a Belgian proof.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, thank you for that. So being from what else ive read , the crown on it came about in the later part of the century. Im guessing that this one is closer to the 1830 year.  
Again, thank you
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone know where i can get a musket primer nipple for it? Standard black powder ones are too small.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone know where i can get a musket primer nipple for it? Standard black powder ones are too small.
View Quote

Check the thread pitch on yours, prior to ordering. Track of the wolf carries musket nipples.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Will do & ill keep you guys informed. & thanks. I caint wait to pop this jewell off. Any idea of the amount of grain to use? & shot grams? Pistol powder right?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok, i found a musket primer nipple locally but, theyre way too long. About 2" give or take. Whats up with that? Do they not make shorties thatll fit my smoke wagon? I also noticed that they are larger in diameter like someone had said before.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Look here.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/1
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Crap, messed up disreguard thanks for the link
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Im deciding to sell this if you know anyone who may want this. As you see it. I havent got a new primer nipple for it yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top