Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2015 6:26:19 PM EDT
I don't know if this is allowed so mods do what you got to do.

Cabelas is selling the 1858 Remington by Pietta for a pretty good price. I just ordered one.

Here is the link:
Cabelas 1858 Pietta Revolver
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
i got lucky and bought my uberti on midway at close out prices for 200$..  Thought that one from cabelas is not a bad price with all goodies.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't any firearm of the sort. Do I want one of these?
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't any firearm of the sort. Do I want one of these?
View Quote

you go black powder and its hard to go back..

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nice pics... That '51 Navy is really nice - IMHO - one of the most attractive firearms ever conceived!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice pics... That '51 Navy is really nice - IMHO - one of the most attractive firearms ever conceived!

Agreed.. reason why the Colt SAA was modeled very closely after the 1851.. both in grip profile and overall size.

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread stalled 8 months ago, so, am I going to be pissed with this pistol from Cabela's?

It's the same as the one the OP questioned about, and even without the sale price, it's not unreasonable.

The price of the Remington is way over what I'd like to pay.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#8]
You should be happy with the Pietta revolver. Their quality has improved greatly from what it used to be.

Note that Midway has the Uberti version of this pistol on sale (for $299) as well. You don't get the extras the starter kit gives you, but IMHO the Uberti pistols are little nicer quality than the Pietta ones - the new Ubertis have forged steel frames - and have a more historically accurate shape/dimensions.

That said, there's nothing at all wrong with the Pietta guns and they will last basically forever if they are cared for properly.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I couldn't find it but, do these ship to your door?
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I couldn't find it but, do these ship to your door?
View Quote

I think there are a few states that regulate black powder handguns as if they were actual firearms (the usual suspects, and I think one or two you wouldn't suspect like MI) but for most of the country they aren't considered "firearms" and can ship to your door without an FFL.

The interesting thing is that the cartridge conversion cylinders aren't firearms either, and also don't require an FFL, so one could easily get a .45LC cartridge-firing revolver that way without involving an FFL. These guns can't handle full-power .45LC loads, just cowboy loads, but still nifty.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#12]

The one with the spare cylinder is cheaper than the one with no spare cylinder.  I love capitalism.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I don't know if this is allowed so mods do what you got to do.

Cabelas is selling the 1858 Remington by Pietta for a pretty good price. I just ordered one.

Here is the link:

Cabelas 1858 Pietta Revolver
View Quote
Lol whalecum to the party!  Ordered mine three weeks ago. My first percussion gun ever.

Most fun you can have with your pants on:

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I was just looking at those today. I'm still waiting to see if I get one of the Carbines from the CMP, if not, I have $685 to spend and one of these is on the list.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#15]
You won't be sorry with your Pietta 1858.......But they are addicting.....

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#16]
The Pietta 1858s from Cabela's are good guns. I have a stainless 8" .44, a blued .44 with 5.5" barrel, a blued 6.5" .36, and a blued 8" .44 that I did a gated Kirst Konversion to .45 Colt on. I'm very happy with all of them.

In the .44s, I like 30 grains of 3Fg black powder, a lubricated felt wad, a .454" round ball, ignited by a Remington No.10 cap.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info.
I put this project on hold for a little.
I'll keep an eye out for a sale I can't pass on.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What BP rifle is this in the 3ed photo down?
It has me wanting in an unhealthy way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What BP rifle is this in the 3ed photo down?
It has me wanting in an unhealthy way.

A defarbed 1863 Remington "zouave" reproduction.

By far one of the best shooting rifled musket i own. the trigger is to die for. Best 450$ i spent in a long time.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You won't be sorry with your Pietta 1858.......But they are addicting.....

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/mic214/media/Firearms/1958-17.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/mic214/Firearms/1958-17.jpg</a>
View Quote

Addicting indeed! I'm now the owner of a brace of Ruger Old Army revolvers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#21]

45 Colt Conversion cylinder FTW

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:14:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I got a Pietta 1858 Rem for Father's Day. Saving up for "Pale Rider" Conversion cylinders.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I got my '58 Remington (Pietta) from Cabela's a few years back at Christmas $185 or so OTD.  They have some great sales around then but it is hard to wait.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:17:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought the shorter one (5 1/2" I think) from Cabbalas when they were on sale for $179.

The first one had a few issues so I sent it back.

The replacement seemed pretty good and it has always functioned well.

I did a trigger job on it, SO much better, but I gotta remember to warn people so they don't get the surprise.

I use CCI #10, I've had some issues with Remington 10s not staying on as well.

I shoot anywhere from 20-40+ grains of 3f or substitutes, haven't done a proper target test to see if any load does better or worse.

I've shot some 2f just for the heck of it as well as some pellets.

The gun came with a Cabella's book and a Pietta book, both with totally different load suggestions and some that I think could be dangerously low unless some added filler was used.

I started out using wonder wads, then started experimenting and now use home cut felt wads with Gatofeo lube, I modified the recipe with more lanolin to soften them up some but might try it as written just to see.

One of my experiments was using bacon grease, it DOES NOT smell as nice as I hoped; downright nasty smelling.

I think the wonder wads did better at controlling fowling stiffening up the action after several shots, but the cost difference of the home-mades is quite big so now I just try to remember to pull the cylinder pin for a quick cleaning after a few loadings and not let stuff build up.

The first time shooting the new wads I didn't do that and it took some hammering to get it out.

Note: if the action starts feeling stiff pull the pin and cylinder before it gets bad.

I may experiment with staggering some Wonderlube'd wads in since I have a couple tubes of the stuff.

When I was keeping it as a HD gun I loaded to the max I could fit, I think it was around 45 gr. of 3f with no wad.

The first cylinder I over charged and had to trim the ball to get it to clear the frame, after that I had the charge down but haven't needed it as even a back-up for a few years and have forgotten the load.

I poured a little melted gatofeo over the balls to seal and lube, those shoot pretty stout.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Just used this promo tonight with $5 flat rate shipping. Excited to get it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top