Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2015 9:25:18 PM EDT
Update: I added three new pictures. The barrel is ~39" long and has a smooth bore. There are no markings on the barrel, just the worn name on the lock. The buttstock is symmetrical on both sides, so there isn't any type of cheekpiece. I'm not sure about the caliber/gauge, but the muzzle measures .75" wide.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be helpful to have an overall view to get an idea of the general shape of the rifle.

American longrifles is on of the better sites for these types of firearms.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Post 1800 gun.  The style of the stock is very much like that of a 1830-1850s gun.  Is there even a hint of a cheekpiece on it?  

Is that a rifled bore?  If so, the barrel is possibly salvaged from an 1803 rifle.  The buttplate is very much like a Brown Bess, only that this one is steel and not brass.  It may have been from a fowler.

Is there a sideplate that is opposite of the lock?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Kind of looks half-stocked, indicating it's post 1830 or so.  Maybe an english fowler.  As the prior poster suggested, look to see if it's rifled, and to see whether there is a cheek piece.

ETA:  the engraving on the lock doesn't necessarily have the maker's name.  Probably is the lock-maker.  Look for a signature or markings on top of the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The brass touch hole liner puzzles me.  I wonder when that was installed?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Post 1800 gun.  The style of the stock is very much like that of a 1830-1850s gun.  Is there even a hint of a cheekpiece on it?  

Is that a rifled bore?  If so, the barrel is possibly salvaged from an 1803 rifle.  The buttplate is very much like a Brown Bess, only that this one is steel and not brass.  It may have been from a fowler.

Is there a sideplate that is opposite of the lock?
View Quote

I'll be out of town until Friday, so I'll take a look at it again then. If I remember correctly, it was a smooth bore. What would the cheek piece look like? A raised part in the stock?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
If it's smoothbore it's likely a fowler rather than a rifle, also argued by the lack of sights. Although military smoothbore muskets were sans rear sight as well this doesn't look like it was a conversion of such. The shape of the stock, long barrel underlug, ramrod tip all make me think it's a fowling piece. I'd say late English or French manufacture given the half-octagon barrel and steel furniture.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Post here and ask: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=3.0
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
It probably is a fowler then.  The half-octagon and then round barrel was common among them (but the 1803 Harper's Ferry rifle had a similar barrel, but rifled).  Fowlers were very popular guns because you could take both waterfowl, upland game and if needed, with buck 'n ball, big game.  The buttplate is flat like many fowlers were too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I added a few more pictures. Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like you've got a good reply over there!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#11]
My guess is some sort of English trade musket that has been modded over the years. The the gooseneck lock screams english. Trade muskets were made cheap and often didn't have much for markings.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My guess is some sort of English trade musket that has been modded over the years. The the gooseneck lock screams english. Trade muskets were made cheap and often didn't have much for markings.
View Quote

My thoughts as well. The iron furniture is a giveaway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top