Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2015 4:18:43 PM EDT
Like everything else I want......................they quit making it.

Income tax refund came in. Thought I'd buy a Ruger Old Army.

Some of them are hitting close to $1K.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#1]
If you don't care about which sights you get, the adjustable sight guns are cheaper.  Ruger made the adjustable sight guns for decades.  The fixed sight guns didn't come around till the late 90's.  

The SASS shooters have been buying up all the fixed sight guns because of the rules they play by.  Simple supply and demand, so stainless 5.5" fixed sight guns with box, papers and tool can go for $1k plus.  I've seen adjustable sight 7.5" blue guns as cheap as $550 recently.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Makes me wonder why Ruger discontinued them.  I guess there isn't a demand and  they can make other things that move quicker (out of their warehouse/shelves).
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#3]
My first BP pistol was an Old Army, and I got it because it offered maximum ballistic performance in a package smaller and lighter than one of the Colt Walker or Dragoon pistols, and it offered adjustable sights to ensure I could place shots on point of aim.  

Eventually I moved away from it as I started to develop an appreciation for more historical replicas and their handling eccentricities, and in that regard, I found I was just as happy with a 1860 Army, 1851 Navy, 1858 Remington or one of the horse pistols for plinking, and for target work an adjustable sighted 1858 Remington would do pretty much anything a Old Army would do with just a bit less powder capacity.

I suspect the fact that the Old Army does not really appeal to the replica or reenactment crowd, and the fact that you can get an adjustable sighted 1858 for half the price of even a used Old Army limited the market for Ruger.   I suspect a new Old Army would not sell for less than $650, so it would still be twice the cost of an 1858 Remington, and a couple hundred more than a Dragoon replica.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone at TheHighRoad is selling a stainless ROA that has its barrel shorted to 5 1/2" for $650. No cylinder included.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top