Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2015 12:32:40 AM EDT
looking at the cva break open jobbers - thinking that I want one in stainless.

Do you realy gain anything from the lower end models to the high end?

What does the barrel lengths do?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Red

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:45:11 AM EDT
[#1]
What useage are you looking for? Is it just to be able to hunt during blackpowder season, or do you have any interest in historic rifles/patterns like the the Kentucky and Pennsylvania Long Rifles. If it is the latter option, take a look at the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. It is available with a 1-66 twist round ball, or a 1-48 twist better suited for Maxi-ball, conical, and sabots. It is pretty damn accurate as replicas go, and they shoot very well. They have a terrific coolness factor as well. The double set trigger is a great piece of gear too. Buy once, cry once, but you won't regret the quality of the piece.

I know, off topic in re the OP, but not into in-lines so I thought I'd offer an alternative.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:07:25 AM EDT
[#2]
no dog in the fight but I did find this startling cva inlines
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Not CVA but I am lusting after one of the Traditions ones.  Like This.

I saw one for $200 last week end.  I was sorely tempted.
I have a TC Firehawk now in .54 and it is a proven killer!  (not my picture but mine looks just like this)
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

If there is no dog in the fight then why continue slinging shit about a company that took ownership of their mistake and fixed it.
Read up op I think you will find this has been addressed by cva.
I have an Accura V2 stainless, it is accurate and a pleasure to shoot and own.
There are a lot of options for bp, pick what you like replicas or inlines. I looked a long time and became convinced that for MY purpose
Cva offered the best deal for the money.
YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If there is no dog in the fight then why continue slinging shit about a company that took ownership of their mistake and fixed it.
There are a lot of options for bp, pick what you like replicas or inlines. I looked a long time and became convinced that for MY purpose
YMMV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV.

when I went to research bp inlines I came upon this and it resounded with me.  Please purchase what you want, it is of no concern of mine
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:15:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I own 2 CVA Wolfs. Definatly CVA's entry level inline, but for my needs they fit the bill. Short barrels as I hunt heavy timber, light cause I do walk a bit trying to get the deer moving for my wife, And with 2 50grain 777 pellets and a 295 Power belt I have put a hell of a lot of venison in the freezer.

As a side note, I have to wonder how many of those CVA accidents were caused by shooter error and not the fault of the manufacturer,
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:14:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I am a little more old school, i have  CVA hawken .45 percussion rifle, & yes i do get some funny looks taking this old duck out hunting, powder horn & all, however it has proved itself many times over for taking deer, & as those of you who have been to New Zealand can confirm our bush is very thick.

.445 lead round ball (hand cast with lee mould)
     60gn fffg
    .10 patch with beeswax, olive oil &  tallow lube
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Past CVA issues aside, for future reference I wouldn't pay attention to anything Randy Wakeman has to say, or Toby Bridges. Get your muzzleloader purchasing advice anywhere except from those two.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Past CVA issues aside, for future reference I wouldn't pay attention to anything Randy Wakeman has to say, or Toby Bridges. Get your muzzleloader purchasing advice anywhere except from those two.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Randy Wakeman's sponsorships seem to play a strong part in his conclusions.  He does offer reasonable observations in a general sense, but when it comes down to a specific review of a specifica brand, I don't find him to be impartial.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I own a cva wolf and it does everything I need. I am in upstate NY so I am hunting in woodlands. Short barrel is good for hiking through the hills. I got mine probably 7 or 8 years ago. I think it was $279 shipped to my desk at work with a 3x9 scope. I put it together and haven't touched it since. Scope is decent, not great. But do you really need a high end scope on a muzzleloader? Probably not. Dollar for dollar I don't think the wolf can be beat. 100 grains of powder and a 250gr sabot and you are good to go. No need to run 150 in the shorter barrel guns. Make sure to get some never sieze and put gobs of it on your breech plug. Much easier to clean it off your fingers rather than have to air hammer your breech plug out a year from now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I own 2 .50 CVA wolf's, and 1 .45 CVA Kodiak, all have been excellent and can compete with any MZLDR I have ever came across.

I much prefer the Kodiak, mine is nickel plated and has stood up to many hunts and hikes. Most of my family and a few friends have the CVA Optima and they also love them and are happy with the purchase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top