Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2015 2:41:00 PM EDT
I've been around guns all my life. I own fudd guns, target guns, military guns and NFA stuff. For some reason, I've never been around black powder guns nor do any of my shooting friends play with them.  I've decided to dive in! What's considered the go to vendors for quality and service? I see Midway carries a beginner's guide to BP, so I may order that.

I like historical guns so I'm thinking about a Uberti Colt replica (either a Walker or Army). I would also like to get a Brown Bess or Charleville visit flintlock in the future.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the same boat.  After all of the modern including military stuff I've shot, I started to get interested in old, historic western firearms.

There are a couple of good YT vids that show about all you need to know.  This one is kinda long but he goes over loading pretty thoroughly.  I plan to start off with the pelletized versus loose powder just for the convenience...plus you don't need to get a flask/measure right a way.

Personally, I'd take a look at the Uberti or Pietta 1858 (Remington) New Army replica.  This particular firearm was widely used in the Civil War, was the last of the Remington black powder pistols, by virtue of having a top strap (as opposed to the Colt Walker and Dragoons for example) has the advantage of being stronger and, should you really get into it, it has easily exchanged cylinders (ala Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider).  You can also get a conversion cylinder which allows you to shoot 45LC in it since the way the measured .44 back in the day was really a .45.  Dixie Gun Works has the Uberti on sale for $285 and there's no FFL to fiddle with:  it ships straight to your door.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure about "go-to" status, but Track of the Wolf is where I've gotten most of my BP supplies.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure about "go-to" status, but Track of the Wolf is where I've gotten most of my BP supplies.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/  
View Quote

THIS!

One stop shop for all the things you need. Though i got my powder through graf and sons.

Mid way is usually high on BP repilicas.. though i did get this 1858 uberti for 220 shipped close out

Dixie had 1851s and 1860s on sale for 275

The 1851 is still on sale http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=1027. Its a great starter piece.

Though the 1858 is more reliable due to its design. The caps on the 1851/1860 have a propensity to fall into the action after firing and cylcling to the next cylinder if one is not careful. Cap size 10s are recommended on ubertis.

Rifle - a nice Pedersoli Enfield Replica is a great starter - easy to load, break down to clean, and handy. Can take round or miniballs all day. I use 2f powder in mine with good results.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#4]
They can become very addicting to say the least..

The revolvers are very accurate you should be able to keep them all in the black at 50 yards with bullseye  competition target after you learn how to sight the v notch on the hammer.

I was very surprised how well my kit built cva army 1860 shot after i got use to the v notch and the front sight.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys - just ordered a Uberti Colt Army.......
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:17:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys - just ordered a Uberti Colt Army.......
View Quote

Excellent.  Check out videos on You Tube by duelist1954.  He has some good ones on how to "smooth up" these revolvers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I tried round balls in my Parker Hale Enfield musketoon (24").  It shot like crap and prefers minie balls.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Dixie Gun Works.
Track of the Wolf.
October Country.
Taylor's & Company.
Buffalo Arms.

May God have mercy upon your souls.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top