Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2015 9:08:50 PM EDT
Decided to take my 20 gauge flintlock fowler out looking for rabbits today. I've had this gun for a while and haven't used it much, figured it was time to change that. It is a Jackie Brown Carolina fowler with 46" octagon to round barrel and large siler lock.  

It was a georgeous morning. Fresh snow. Clear and sunny. High teens.

This was my first time hunting this spot. Fresh rabbit tracks and scat galore. It seemed like there were rabbits everywhere but near me.

Saw lots of coyote tracks too.

When I saw my shadow, I couldn't resist taking a picture.  

Well, no rabbits today.  This seems like a good spot I will continue to work over the rest of this season.

Now it's off to the range!  This is one of the benefits of hunting at your club.  

I've never actually patterned this thing on paper, just shot stumps and stuff.  Fortunately my wife had a bunch of christmas wrapping paper left over.  

First I fired the load I was carrying while hunting.  It went off promptly and hit where I aimed, which is encouraging.  I reckon if I saw a rabbit, I could have gotten him with this load.

The load was 60 gr FFFg, over powder card, fiber wad soaked in crisco, 7/8 oz #6 shot, over shot card.  Looks good.

You really have to squint at these pictures to see the whole pattern because the holes that are in front of the lattice I was using as a ghetto target stand show up best.

Let's see how it patterns a little closer.

My shot charger only goes down to 1 1/4 oz, so I tried that with 70 gr of FFFg.

For smoothbore shot loads, the rule of thumb is to use an equal volume of shot and powder.  Another rule of thumb is to use 1/3 more shot than powder for a tighter group.  I tried this by reducing the powder to 50 gr for this load.

I didn't see much of a difference.  Maybe I've got my rules of thumb mixed up.  

Now it's time for some round balls.  I loaded 60 gr of FFFg, an over powder card, a loose ball, and an overshot card.  Not as precise as a patched ball, but the patches I had weren't lubed, and I despise the feeling of dry cotton in my mouth.

I was aiming for the top center target spot, but at least I was consistent.  This gun doesn't have a rear sight so I just kind of gauge the appearance of the barrel in comparison to the front sight.  The bottom hole is actually two holes touching.

Smoothbores have a reputation for poor accuracy with round balls, but I think it is often exaggerated.  I'm always a bit amazed at how accurate you can be with these at short range.  Yes, this was  short distance, but still, I would feel comfortable going after a deer with this at shorter ranges.

Just for fun before I packed up, I loaded up some shot and blasted the lattice at close range.  

It was a fun day and I enjoyed getting to know my smoothbore a little better.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell, you may get lucky and hit 'em with the wads.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like you had a great time.

BP shotgun, I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#3]
A Carolina smoothbore militia musket is on my wish list. Nice gun OP!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like you had a good time. Great looking smoke pole.

Santa was extremely nice to me and brought me a 20 gauge trade gun for Christmas that I'm waiting for time and decent weather to coincide so that I can go out and shoot. In the meantime, I've cast up some .595 balls, punched out some Durafelt wads, and made up some paper cartridges with 65 grains of 2f.  I've also given some thought to dimpling some round balls to see what they will do. For sure my trip out to the range is going to be busy but it's been many years since I fooled around with a smoothbore and I'm excited to try a variety of loads.

Here's a quick and dirty shot of my stick.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:31:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Brother, where are you located?  That spot there is just begging for a beagle.  We'd have scared up a limit before lunch time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brother, where are you located?  That spot there is just begging for a beagle.  We'd have scared up a limit before lunch time.
View Quote

I'm in MA, the Cradle (and grave) of Liberty.

Many times I was thinking "I sure do wish I had a huntin dog to make these rabbits appear."  All I have is a useless Corgi.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like you had a good time. Great looking smoke pole.

Santa was extremely nice to me and brought me a 20 gauge trade gun for Christmas that I'm waiting for time and decent weather to coincide so that I can go out and shoot. In the meantime, I've cast up some .595 balls, punched out some Durafelt wads, and made up some paper cartridges with 65 grains of 2f.  I've also given some thought to dimpling some round balls to see what they will do. For sure my trip out to the range is going to be busy but it's been many years since I fooled around with a smoothbore and I'm excited to try a variety of loads.

Here's a quick and dirty shot of my stick.

<a href="http://s255.photobucket.com/user/poco47/media/trademusketinlayoutside.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh131/poco47/trademusketinlayoutside.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice looking piece!  I'm sure you'll have a great time shooting it.

I'll be envying your short barrel when I'm tangled in the brush this Saturday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top