Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2015 3:42:22 AM EDT
When i was first getting into BP muzzleloading, i wasnt very sure as to just what type I wanted to go with. I was hesitant to choose a flintlock as they seemed very labor intensive. Ultimately i went with a 1777 charleville flintlock as my first. I personally think, that flintlocks are a bit more elegant looking design. Now that i have made that first hurdle i dont think firing a BP muzzleloader that is anything but a flintlock would give me quite the same thrill. Its dirty, difficult to shoot accurately, but so much fun. Obviously percussion has its perks, being cleaner and a quicker, more reliable ignition.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 5:13:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer percussion because I actually want to kill a deer during muzzle loader season. I gave it up though due to crossbow.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Been shooting Percussion since the mid to late 90's, but I'm building my first flinter!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a die hard flintlock fan.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never owned a flint rifle, in fact I've only shot a brown bess once.  It has a cool factor.  

for straight up muzzle loading deer hunting, I'd go percussion.  I'm in the middle ground I guess, I want nothing to do with modern plastic and stainless, inline rifles.  

I sold two i had and I have a touch of regret; a TC Cherokee in .45 cal which I would have kept if it was .32 cal.  The other was a .50 cal Pedersoli that had nice lines in a Pennsylvania style.  I think they called it the Taos model.  

A .32 or .36 flinter would be quite cool but the prices have gone sky high on anything I actually like.  Even the imported Italian rifles are not as cheap as they were.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Flint all the way! I never have to search for caps again. I pick up good nods of flint on my hunting land and use a tile saw to get flints till I get knapping down pat.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Flint all the way! I never have to search for caps again. I pick up good nods of flint on my hunting land and use a tile saw to get flints till I get knapping down pat.
View Quote

A tile saw, huh? Interesting....I wonder if I could use a tile saw on some flints that need reknapping?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a flintlock kinda guy, (rifles and muskets) but I must admit, I LOVE shooting my Remington 700ML I got last year. I'm not a hunter, but these guns are a lot of fun to shoot. Easy to clean, too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a .54 Hawken percussion.  But, I have the greatest admiration for flinters.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Flint. I have several BP guns. All flint
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A tile saw, huh? Interesting....I wonder if I could use a tile saw on some flints that need reknapping?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like sharpening a chisel. Wet tile saw is best, keeps the dust and sparks down. try to replicate these:
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just like sharpening a chisel. Wet tile saw is best, keeps the dust and sparks down. try to replicate these:http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/975/975250.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like sharpening a chisel. Wet tile saw is best, keeps the dust and sparks down. try to replicate these:http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/975/975250.jpg

Niiiiice....hold 'em in a vise, and saw away?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Niiiiice....hold 'em in a vise, and saw away?
View Quote

I just hold them in my fingers, I have a smooth edge blade with no teeth, just the fine abrasive. Do what seems prudent to you with your equipment.

My blade is like this:

Not this, the chipper teeth would hurt you doing it like I do:
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a .54 Hawken percussion cal .58 1863 Remington percussion.  But, I have the greatest admiration for flinters.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#16]
PA has a late flintlock season. So that is what I have.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:35:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Flintlocks here
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Flintlock only.  A well made flintlock is just as reliable, if not more reliable, than a percussion.   And after all, if God wanted us to shoot percussion, He would have scattered caps all over the ground instead of rocks....
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Even I favour mostly flintlocks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Flintlock, but I have more percussion.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#21]
My first rifle was a flintlock, but I like 'em both.

Just because one flavor of ice cream is your favorite doesn't mean you can't enjoy others.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Another rock head flintlock enthusiast here.  I have three, two rifles (.50 and .36 caliber) and a Long Land Kings Musket (AKA Brown Bess) of the 1740's pattern.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I like 'em both. No preference either way for long arms; percussion for handguns.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Flintlock only.  A well made flintlock is just as reliable, if not more reliable, than a percussion.   And after all, if God wanted us to shoot percussion, He would have scattered caps all over the ground instead of rocks....
View Quote

Hehe....same here. Southern Mountain style hand-made .54, 4x ( yeah, it's that tight & beautiful :) ) curl.... .36 Southern Mountain style that
I shoot more often because I don't worry about scratching it up. Kinda wish now I had went .45 with that one but everyone
& his brother shot .45 then.

Been thinking about getting a percussion 1860's revolver for plinking......
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Pistol I prefer a percussion revolver though I do own flint . Rifle my smooth bore is flint and rifle percussion .
Split decision

Edt . to say the Sharps is a percussion making it the prefered style
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I have both, but to me if I'm going to go the black powder route, might as well be flintlock and make it the real deal.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#27]
So far just percussion caps for me. Flintlocks are well above my price range and parts to build are equally out of my price range.

I pick up percussion locks in 1 and 5 dollar bins at gun shows but cheapest I've seen on a flint lock was over a hundred dollars.

Not many benefits to flint around me either, almost no quality natural flint, and percussion caps are cheap and I can make them in a pinch.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#28]
A well tuned flint rifle is just as quick a lock time as a cap.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I only own a 54 caliber percussion cap rifle. I brought it out to a HTF shoot today. The kids who shot it were pleasantly surprised that it kicks far less than the 50 BMGs other arfcommers brought out. I'm split on whether my next muzzleloader will be some kind of Enfield clone or a flint lock American long rifle. The thought of switching to 58 caliber is pretty appealing.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Man, I really need to start buying the BIY books to get a clear picture of what's involved.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top